Why 50% of non-gun owners don't want a gun if a manhunt in their neighborhood?

This is a discussion on Why 50% of non-gun owners don't want a gun if a manhunt in their neighborhood? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting poll conducted to see how many people would want a firearm if there was a manhunt in their neighborhood similar to what happened in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Why 50% of non-gun owners don't want a gun if a manhunt in their neighborhood?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Why 50% of non-gun owners don't want a gun if a manhunt in their neighborhood?

Interesting poll conducted to see how many people would want a firearm if there was a manhunt in their neighborhood similar to what happened in Watertown, MA after the Marathon bomber event. It's interesting to me how opinions vary by political perspective, gender, and other factors. I'm pretty sure I know what people on DC.com think, but what do you think about the poll results?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...ters-want-gun/
    Last edited by KoriBustard; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Why in the hell would you not?! Seriously, why not? Especially if you are not alone and are protecting family? I don't understand the ?

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    Why in the hell would you not?! Seriously, why not? Especially if you are not alone and are protecting family? I don't understand the ?
    Well, the question arises since the poll shows that 50% of non-gun owners said they would not! That is what I'm so curious about.
    darbo likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

Maybe they are afraid they may be shot by an officer mistaking them for the BG. I would want a gun in my hand, round chambered, safety off.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I changed the post title to better reflect the question.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

Because they can't accept responsibility out of fear of failing themselves. If they proceed under the notion that their safety is the responsibility of the Govt and Police, then if anything bad happens it is the fault of the Govt and Police, not the individual. They would rather risk the safety of their family than risk their own failure if they take responsibility for their safety. It's a basic denial mechanism.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Because they can't accept responsibility out of fear of failing themselves. If they proceed under the notion that their safety is the responsibility of the Govt and Police, then if anything bad happens it is the fault of the Govt and Police, not the individual. They would rather risk the safety of their family than risk their own failure if they take responsibility for their safety. It's a basic denial mechanism.
    Excellent response BugDude.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Well. When you put it like that...

I have no doubt, that is their subconscious mindset. (certainly not the mindset of a survivor).

We have a word for it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Looks like BugDude owns this topic!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

VIP Member
    Excellent post............sadly I know those people and it's nearly impossible to ever see any of them wake up.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Looks like BugDude owns this topic!
    I think he's now known as, Dr BugDude
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Half of non gun owners wanted a gun seems pretty good, but why in the world would 11% of gun owners not want one in a manhunt situation?

I guess they own but don't know how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bark'n and ep1953 like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    What's good about it is that 50% of non gun owners would want a gun in that circumstance. I see that as a positive.
    ep1953 and squid86 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I think he's now known as, Dr BugDude

Hardly...more like an armchair philosopher.

There's another subset of non-gunowners that recognizes and accepts they could not responsibly own a firearm. Just this week in a discussion with a non-gunowner (not really an anti-gun person per se) at work, I was explaining the concept of once the individual is no longer a threat then self defense ends. For example, lets say a person is attacking you and your wife and they have a gun and you take it away from them. At the point they are no longer armed and you are, they no longer pose a lethal threat (assuming the attack doesn't continue once they are disarmed). He admitted to me, "The problem is, I don't think I could stop. I'm not sure I have the discipline to use a firearm judiciously." At least he was honest about it. I told him that if he wasn't sure of how he would handle it, then it wasn't the right thing for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links