Child at your door! What would you do?

This is a discussion on Child at your door! What would you do? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was taken from another source read the post and then give your opinion. A few days ago I hear the handle on my front ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Child at your door! What would you do?

This was taken from another source read the post and then give your opinion.

A few days ago I hear the handle on my front door working like mad. Looking at the door I was really confused because I couldn't see anyone through the glass or the sidelight. Walking over I look down and see a little mop of brown hair belonging to a little girl around 2 years old. It was early afternoon and in short order I found her mom who was visiting our next door neighbor. Her response was "Oh there you are!"

So my question is what do you do with a small child on your doorstep who is not old enough to tell you anything? Does your course of action change by time of day? As I thought this through I thought about someone using a kid as bait to open a door. So your thoughts?
    To open or not to open?

I woulda opened until I read the thread about the BEK. Now I'm totally freaked out by the idea of a kid at my door!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I woulda opened until I read the thread about the BEK. Now I'm totally freaked out by the idea of a kid at my door!
    I was about to say the same thing!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Criminals know our weaknesses. They are not above using a child to disarm you to gain entry, so if the child is not in distress, don't open the door.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    For a 2 year old, I am checking the porch through the window and then opening assuming nothing suspicious.

I have a neighbor who's 3 year old wondered off several years ago. We found him unharmed after a 15 or 20 minute search, but the fact is small children do wonder off occasionally. Having children at home right now, I understand this and in fact I am very used to children knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. Most are between the ages of 5 and 9 and I know most of them from being in the neighborhood, but occasionally kids I don't know show. Having kids around is part of every day life.

Staying aware does not mean living in a bubble, at least for me. I refuse to not help a 2 year old if I can.
    ccw9mm, Lish, Ksgunner and 6 others like this.

It's situations like this that dramatically highlight the need to have a clear field of view from the front door/entry area, without hiding spots.

I'm always armed anyway, always look out the windows first to determine who's there, always use the wide-view peep-hole, and always answer the door armed. And generally I require people call ahead, before visits/gatherings. That mix doesn't catch everything, but IMO it comes as reasonably close as I'm prepared to deal with considering my refusal to accept turning my lifestyle on its head.

A 2yr old child on the porch? After scanning, I'm pretty sure I'd be opening the door. Armed and aware, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I'm sure I would open the door for a child. I'm always armed and try to stay aware of what's going on around me. What is BEK?

VIP Member
    A child in distress on my doorstep is getting help from me.

If someone is using this as a ruse for a home invasion, they'd better be ready for a gun fight.
    ccw9mm, TVJ, RickyD and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    I'm sure I would open the door for a child. I'm always armed and try to stay aware of what's going on around me. What is BEK?
    Black eyed kid. Don't let them in
    GhostMaker likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Black eyed kid. Don't let them in
    My home is protected both physically and spiritually.
    NH_Esau, locotest and Remy like this.

I'd probably open the door. Unless I'm expecting someone I never open it without a gun in hand.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My house is a known safe place. I'm opening the door. I'm staying aware as I always am, but I'm opening the door.

I'd rather die than be so scared to do so that I wouldn't help a kid.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
    ccw9mm, WHEC724, RickyD and 4 others like this.

I am going to help a child. I am not so cold that I could turn away when a child needs help.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

I have a delay on my alarm system - I can take my gun or push a button and I get three minutes delay before the alarm is sent. I can push the button and as long as I put the gun back or shut it off the alarm will not go. No matter what, if someone is at my door I am likely to answer it, particularly if it is a child. I will be prepared but seriously folks, we are humans and cannot let the behavior of a few bad apples affect the way that we treat others.

The golden rule - if this was YOUR two year old - what would you HOPE someone would do if she was lost?
    ccw9mm, RickyD, Todd_Ohio and 3 others like this.

When I was a kid the "safe" houses had painted hand prints in the windows. They were the homes of other elementary school kids.

I don't know how they made sure but back then most everyone was safe and friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links