Hiding a gun safe in your child's room?

This is a discussion on Hiding a gun safe in your child's room? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many of us think that this is a good idea and would or do do this? Here is a piece of Rob Pincus's speech ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Hiding a gun safe in your child's room?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Hiding a gun safe in your child's room?

How many of us think that this is a good idea and would or do do this?

Here is a piece of Rob Pincus's speech at the NRA convention in Houston this weekend.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZnL9DE2GXQ
    tony1990 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Depends on the circumstances, but for most cases I would not do it.

I would prefer the safe to be in a room that the child does not spend much unsupervised time in.

It feels wrong.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I had an unlocked shotgun and ammo in my closet as a very young kid. I guess things change. Laws certainly do.

But if you're worried about your kids getting into a locked gun safe, you've got bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't do it
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    When its says child, I would consider that ages 10 and under. You don't just have to consider your kids, but also their friends they might have over. I would prefer to have my gun safe in a room that they generally are not supposed to hang out in. People make mistakes. Say you forget to lock it; there is more risk with the safe in their room than if it was in your own bedroom.
    Brad426 and AZJD1968 like this.

This is an interesting take and personally I do not know how I feel about it. This is not the first time that I have heard something along these lines. Overall, I was taught that location is not as important as access. No gun should be "accessible" to persons not qualified or intended to use it. Thing is that is a broad enough statement which common sense says, if it is in a safe, it is not accessible, regardless of where the safe is.

However, it is of my frame of mind that the guns should be located such that they are the quickest access for me. I occupy my bedroom more than any other room (in terms of total time per week) than any other room in the house. As for the kids' rooms, we read stories to them every night, pick up their room during the day, and get them dressed in the morning. Otherwise I don't spend much time in there.

The funny thing is that when I was 10 years old (early 1970's) I had a small gun rack in my bedroom that had my Marlin 39a, a Winchester 1200, and a Sheridan pump pellet rifle. There was even ammo in the drawer under the small rack. Now, I would never even think of something like that due to the potential liability. Despite the fact that I had access to this when I was young, I personally would not put a gun safe in my child's room. A cheap one could be overcome, and in the event of a burglary or home invasion my preference would be to not give the bad guys reason to hang out there (potentially with one or more of my kids). Just my $0.02.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer, as long as if you do decide to do something like this it is done with an extra degree of safety and diligence. For me it is personal preference more than anything.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If you have a good gun safe that can't be compromised, or carried out, I not sure it would matter where in the house you keep it.
    OD* likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I don't see what the big deal is.
    Eagleks likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is.
    Me neither. If its in your room and they know where its at, whats the difference.
    Badey and Eagleks like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have interviewed a lot of people after occupied home invasions. Where there were children in the home, virtually every one of them had the initial thought to get to their child, not of getting a weapon. With that in mind, it makes sense to have a weapon in the childs room.

If the weapon is in a safe, what is the danger in which room the safe is stored?
    Harryball, Badey, oneshot and 2 others like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I have interviewed a lot of people after occupied home invasions. Where there were children in the home, virtually every one of them had the initial thought to get to their child, not of getting a weapon. With that in mind, it makes sense to have a weapon in the childs room.

If the weapon is in a safe, what is the danger in which room the safe is stored?
    You changed my mind on this. Put a secure safe in the closet, out of easy reach (combined with gun safety lessons). I've thought about this - will I want to grab the gun first or get to the kids asap? Likely the latter.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

If the guns are in a safe I see no reason why you couldn't have it in your children's room. I actually saw a news show this weekend where a former burglar was giving advice on what they look for when breaking into a house. He suggested putting your valuables in a shoe box in your child's room because they would have no reason to think something of value is in your kids room.

It would be a mistake to put it in your kids room. As they get older, friends visiting will surely find out about it and then the word is out, gun safe in the kids room. Also, if you ever had a fire or disturbance that required a police or ambulance call, the word would get out and you would be crucified by the liberal media.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links