CC on Road Trip including Illinois

This is a discussion on CC on Road Trip including Illinois within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, My wife and I both have Michigan CPL's and CC 24/7. We're heading south on vacation in a few weeks and we're looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CC on Road Trip including Illinois

Hi all,

My wife and I both have Michigan CPL's and CC 24/7. We're heading south on vacation in a few weeks and we're looking for some advice. We're heading through Indiana, Illinois (I know, mostly why I'm asking), Missouri, to Arkansas. We'll also be doing some side trips to Tennessee and Oklahoma.

I read through a similar post to this and am taking the advice to get all the states laws down pat before we go, but my big question mark is Illinois. We can't really avoid driving through on our way to Arkansas without adding a ton of miles and time. We'll be taking I-70 West and out through St. Louis. We'll both unload and lock our weapons in a cabled lock-box in the trunk, trigger-locked before we cross the IL line. She's got a revolver, mine's a semi-auto. Any suggestions on where to put the ammo after I unload my mags and she empties her cylinder??

I read the IL State Police FAQ, but just want to make real sure we're OK doing what they say and what we have planned - anybody have real-world experience getting stopped in IL while locked down the way we'll be? We won't spend our money in a state with laws like this, but we just want to make real sure we don't have our vacation ruined by a cop with a bad attitude while we're passing through as directly as we can.

All the rest of the states say they recognize our MI CPL's, but does anybody know of any problem areas in any of the states I mentioned?

Thanks!!

Slider51

I live in St Louis and here's my take on IL and MO:

Double check the reciprocity of your permit with MO's to be sure you can carry outside your car.

As to IL, do the speed limit and don't break any laws. Lock your ammo in a separate hard sided case (ammo only case), lock the guns in either their own hard sides cases or case, NO AMMO not even snap caps. Make sure the locks have different keys! Lock it all in the trunk. Even with all that, the IL state troopers could seize them anyway (I've read stories on the net, so take it with a grain of salt, but still...). If your pulled over in IL be polite, but make certain you don't consent to any searches. Be prepared to never see your firearms again.

Once you make it out of communist country (ie as soon as you cross the state line into MO), pull over, get your guns, load them, and put in your car (no permit needed for CC inside your car in MO if over 21). Enjoy free air again.

I know it sounds extreme, and it is, but that's why I DO NOT cross the border into IL. If I do, I leave my firearms at home and pray to the good Lord the whole time. When my wife forced me to take her to Chicago (kicking and screaming), I about had a heart attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    perfection likes this.

Lived there awhile ago, kept unloaded gun locked in glove box and ammo in trunk you will be fine. Just hope you dont need it

I'd call the cops in Illinois if I were you..

Distinguished Member
    I travel through Illinois several times a years. Keep you firearms unloaded and locked. I use a small stackon safe. Keep the ammo locked in a separate case.

As long as you keep the ammo in a separate case from the handguns you will be in compliance. Put them in the trunk an enjoy the Land of Lincoln.

Thank you everyone,

Honestly I wish we could just avoid IL altogether but time won't allow that. Glad to know we need to keep the ammo separate.

Kind of torn on informing or not if we get stopped. That's the first thing we have to do in Michigan. Seems like trying to hide the fact we have firearms LEGALLY locked in the trunk could go bad. Wouldn't not consenting to a search just result in a trip to the station and a warrant? Guess it all boils down to the cop's agenda - think we might print out the IL State Police webpage stating how to comply as a defense. Hoping for a reasonable cop....

Interesting, our CPL classes were partially taught by a Michigan State Trooper. His Post's attitude was a CPL holder is one of the safest traffic stops they can make, because they know we're on his side of the law and obeying the gun laws by virtue of being licensed. Heard of a local guy that got caught speeding on I-94, handed the cop his license and CPL, announced he was carrying, and the cop said "OK, where is it please?" Guy told him on his right hip and the cop says "OK". That was it - still got the speeding ticket but no drama about the CC.

Scramble4A5, no offense intended to you personally, we used to love your state - Chicago was great in the 80's and into the 90's. Loved the museums, Jazz and Blues Festivals, Rush and Division Streets, Miracle Mile, etc. Now all we want to do is get the hell through the Land of Lincoln as quick as we can and not spend a dime while we're there. We're sad about what IL is becoming.

Slider

Assuming your doing nothing wrong, your not hiding anything. Not consenting to a search is just that, your not giving them permission to rifle through all your stuff and leave it on the side of the highway. It also carries weight should you end up in front of a judge. (You get the wrong sort of cop, they search anyway based on made up probably cause, then seize your legal firearms just cause "I'm the law".

Anyway, getting into the weeds a bit. Have a safe trip

Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    Assuming your doing nothing wrong, your not hiding anything. Not consenting to a search is just that, your not giving them permission to rifle through all your stuff and leave it on the side of the highway. It also carries weight should you end up in front of a judge. (You get the wrong sort of cop, they search anyway based on made up probably cause, then seize your legal firearms just cause "I'm the law".

Anyway, getting into the weeds a bit. Have a safe trip

No, I appreciate your extra input. You're right - we're not doing anything illegal so there's no reason to search us. I guess I watch "Cops" too much but the difference there is 99.9% of the time the "suspect" is guilty as can be and carrying a load of crack or weed or illegal guns. There's where refusing a search just makes them look guiltier. And thanks for the safe trip wish - we'll feel naked and vulnerable in IL, but the rest of the trip we'll be good....

I think I'm going to call the IL State Police and politely put them on the spot - flat out ask if we do everything their website says can we be reasonably assured we'll be left alone other than the traffic violation or whatever caused the stop. Definitely ask to talk to a trooper and then write his name and date we called down...

If you read their website, the kicker is the "local ordinances" clause - even though we're staying on I-70 if we're unlucky enough to get stopped in a jurisdiction with even more ridiculous laws and a Barney Fife trooper, things still could go bad.

Slider

Go to YouTube and lookup "Breakfest in Collinsville with Michael Richart" (not sure if that's spelled right.

Pretty famous around this area.

My travels are designed on principle...I pay the extra gas and take a little extra time to drove around IL I refuse to step foot inside that corrupt state...they get none of my $$$.

But that's just me!
    PatAz likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go to YouTube and lookup "Breakfest in Collinsville with Michael Richart" (not sure if that's spelled right.

Pretty famous around this area.

Just had a chance to watch the video - that settles it for us - we'll leave earlier and drive around IL. I'm also sending an e-mail to both the City of Collinsville Chamber of Commerce and the IL Chamber of Commerce telling them why we will no longer set foot in their state and why we'll never drop a nickel there again.

Ya know, I'm not anti-cop at all. The Michigan State Troopers do a hell of a job with almost no budget. I live in a small town with a young kid just out of the academy as our village cop...he's a bit Barney Fife but basically OK...needless to say we're both totally shocked, disgusted, and pretty much outraged by Reichert and by extension, the Indiana State Police.

We haven't had a vacation in 4 years and I'm not about to risk having it ruined and losing our legal firearms in the process. Thanks for the point to the video - that's all we needed and our trip instantly sounds less stressful.

Thanks again,

Slider and Mrs. Slider

Keep in mind that Richart is a local city cop and not a trooper. I'm not anti-cop I'm anti corruption.

There is another good video called "One good cop" where a local cop in a small IL town is the only one that doesn't demand ID from these protesting college kids. (They were walking cross country for some cause, and show numerous stops by police that demand ID and that they turn off the camera before really asking any questions. There was only one cop that just walked up and had a normal conversation with them.

Anyway, I feel safer in MO than I do in IL, period.

Keep in mind that Richart is a local city cop and not a trooper. I'm not anti-cop I'm anti corruption.

There is another good video called "One good cop" where a local cop in a small IL town is the only one that doesn't demand ID from these protesting college kids. (They were walking cross country for some cause, and show numerous stops by police that demand ID and that they turn off the camera before really asking any questions. There was only one cop that just walked up and had a normal conversation with them.

Anyway, I feel safer in MO than I do in IL, period.

Yeah I realize that, but all it takes is a State Trooper with the same ideas as Richart and poof there goes our time off. Not enough laws backing up legal gun owners in IL for our comfort. Michigan ain't perfect for sure, but at least we're "shall issue" and any contact I've had with the State boys showed me me they're basically on the same side of the law as us. Not to mention our CPL's wording which states "This license allows the licensee to carry a pistol on or about his person anywhere in the state except...." then the verbiage on the pistol-free zones. Pretty tough for any cop to argue with that...

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Lived there awhile ago, kept unloaded gun locked in glove box and ammo in trunk you will be fine. Just hope you dont need it
    That is illegal in IL. It is considered a concealed weapon under IL law, Has to be in the trunk.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links