Flood lights

Flood lights

This is a discussion on Flood lights within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone. Well summertime is about to hit us here and you know people will be out, especially at night. My block only has 1 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flood lights

Flood lights

Hi everyone. Well summertime is about to hit us here and you know people will be out, especially at night. My block only has 1 street light and my neighbors never have their lights on, so I want to try to light up my property a bit. It will make my home less attractive to mess with when compared to the nice dark homes on the block. My question is what type do you recommend? I am debating between halogen vs led but the led cost 6 times more money and would take their lifetime to break even.

My backyard light is a normal 60w fixture right now and I plan on putting a flood light there. It is currently controlled by a switch, so does that mean I can't use motion sensor floods or can I control it both ways, with the switch and with the sensor? The other locations will be motion only just need to know which type is best and maybe brand recommendations. Thanks for the help

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

I use Halogen personally. On my back porch which is 10 feet off the ground I use a 500 watt motion detected light covers 50' by 100' easily. On the side of my house I use a dual 150 watt lamp pointed in different directions covers 50X50 really well. YMMV.

I was thinking about duals because my yard is very wide but not deep.

Are halogens dangerous to keep on for 12 hours straight?

The halogens are fine, but sooner or later the bulb will need to be replaced, so make sure you mount it where it can be reached. LEDs are allegedly "forever", but although the LED itself is simple the power supply/driver isn't. They also haven't been around long enough to demonstrate the life being advertised.

There's no problem to leaving halogens on indefinitely, other then heat. A proper outdoor fixture should withstand the heat just fine, but I would locate the hot part away from combustible structure.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks gas. Will I have an issue with halogen if it is under the soffit in my backyard but pointed towards the yard?

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    Thanks gas. Will I have an issue with halogen if it is under the soffit in my backyard but pointed towards the yard?
    Nope - I had a 150 watt lamp mounted exactly that way, with probably 8-10" of clearance from the glass lens to the soffit. No problems at all.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for all the help.

You can use a motion sensor if you like. An advantage is that when you turn it on, it will light for a few minutes, then switch to motion sensor mode. If you turn the light off, then turn it on quickly, it bypasses the motion sensor and stays on all the time. All you have to do to return to motion sensor mode is turn the light off, wait x seconds (usually 15 to 30 sec) and then turn it back on. The light will again stay on for a few minutes and then switch to motion sensing mode.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

High pocket Thanks. Doe that light switch trick work on all of them to keep the light on indefinitely?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    High pocket Thanks. Doe that light switch trick work on all of them to keep the light on indefinitely?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk.
    It's a feature on most recently made motion detectors. I've seen it on quite a few of those cheap $25 motion detector setups.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The halogens are fine, but sooner or later the bulb will need to be replaced, so make sure you mount it where it can be reached. LEDs are allegedly "forever", but although the LED itself is simple the power supply/driver isn't. They also haven't been around long enough to demonstrate the life being advertised.

There's no problem to leaving halogens on indefinitely, other then heat. A proper outdoor fixture should withstand the heat just fine, but I would locate the hot part away from combustible structure.
    Got a few of the florescent types that I put in some lights that are really hard to get to. The fixtures are motion detecting type and the bulbs are still going strong after 2 plus years. Only down side is they take about a minute to get up to full brightness. I don't mind because they are really there to let me know that something has set them off and I need to check the area. My dogs let me know something is "up" and the lights being on let me know where to look.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, yes, you can buy motion detectors that can be switched on in motion mode, or the switch flipped twice and it comes on and stays on. (HDepot) you can leave halogen lights on, but they're going to burn a lot of electricity doing that. I haven't managed to bring myself to fork out the bucks for an LED light so can't help you there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I bought the house I now live in 13 years ago and the former owner has spots in practically every corner of the house and three on the attached garage. In fact I still can't find the switch for one of them. None of them are motion activated, but I did install a solar powered motion activated LED spot on the front of the garage for about $34.00. Works really well.

I recently installed a motion detector on a circuit that has 2 different sets of floods and a couple overhead fixtures for my carport.
    I wanted to be able to control them with a switch and also have motion sensing work. In doing research, it seems that only one company makes good residential motion detectors now: RAB. I bought an RAB Stealth 360 with bullet floods.
    The motion detector can power up to 1000W of bulbs, it has a switched (by the sensor) hot wire to run the rest of a circuit off of.

It can be turned on in manual override by flipping the lights off-on-off-on, and reset back into motion sensing by turning it off for 10 seconds and then back on.
    Manual override lasts for 1 night, after the next daylight cycle it automatically reverts back into motion sensing mode.

There's also an evening timer mode that can turn the lights on for 1-8 hours after sunset, after which time it goes back into motion sensing mode.

I'm quite happy with this setup now - when the sensor is triggered 4 R38 floods and 2 100W overheads kick on by my carport. I've only seen it turn on once when I wasn't expecting it, so I watched, and a raccoon or opossum was walking in my driveway about 40 feet away. Pretty good sensitivity for no false positives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links