New discussion about Old Oregon rape case

This is a discussion on New discussion about Old Oregon rape case within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why didn't she have a gun? Over the past 48 hours, National Public Radio, India Today and Opposing Views have zeroed in on a months-old ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard

Thread: New discussion about Old Oregon rape case

New discussion about Old Oregon rape case

Why didn't she have a gun?

Over the past 48 hours, National Public Radio, India Today and Opposing Views have zeroed in on a months-old southwest Oregon rape case that underscores the need for gun ownership where police are few and far between due to budget cuts.

New attention to old rape case underscores need for guns - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Why didn't she have a gun?

Over the past 48 hours, National Public Radio, India Today and Opposing Views have zeroed in on a months-old southwest Oregon rape case that underscores the need for gun ownership where police are few and far between due to budget cuts. New attention to old rape case underscores need for guns - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    Missing from the story is why the woman didn't have a weapon. As was pointed out, "Oregon has a concealed carry law that seems to work, and gun ownership in rural parts of the Beaver State probably rivals most other parts of the west, including Eastern Washington." Also of course, handguns are not the only type of firearm which she might have chosen to have in the home.

As my sister in-law was brutally attacked and raped in her home by a total stranger, I'll offer a few thoughts.

1) Many simply don't want to have a weapon-- not even pepper.
    2) NOTHING is as important as situational awareness; not even good locks, alarms, and dogs.
    3) Anyone can be caught off guard and overpowered, even if they are armed with a firearm.
    4) There are many ways to fight, yet most women and most men too don't want to bother to learn--- which I suppose
    is a form of testimony to our relative safety.
    5) It can happen in nice neighborhoods and nice places, to nice people. Many naive nice people simply refuse to take up arms. "It won't happen here."
    6) I don't in any way mean to come off belittling, condescending, or uncaring, but there is life after if you survive. If you count on a gun and nothing else, it may be taken from you and there won't be life after.

Fifteen-20 years after, the creep is long out of jail unless he got into further trouble. She leads a full and independent
    life with only rare moments when "the accident" interferes.
    WHEC724 and Tzadik like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hopy, it's rare that I agree with you, but when it comes to defensive mindset, we are in lock-step.

I was raped by a coworker when I was 16. Obviously, I was too young to own a gun, but besides begging and crying, I didn't fight for fear of being hurt even worse, the fear was paralyzing. And even though it messed me up emotionally for years afterwards and took years to "get over" for lack of a better term, even when I became an adult I carried nothing more than pepper spray. I still didn't want a gun and wouldn't have one around. I became much more suspicious of anyone I didn't know well and was very careful of the situations I put myself into. My situational awareness improved dramatically and I did carry the pepper spray - 2 things that helped when someone tried to grab me on the street in college. Even though I'd been through a life changing and hellish event, I still didn't believe I could actually ever shoot anyone. Finally 20 years later I got a gun to protect my kids after someone tried to break in, but along the way I've realized I'm worth protecting too. Never again is something I've learned to believe very strongly in.

I saw the story referenced here the other day. So many of us have been raised to believe that when we call for help, help will come. To read the 911 operator had to say there is no one to come broke my heart. I can imagine all too well the fear that poor woman had at that point.

Hopyard, I'm curious, does your sister in law carry a gun or other weapon now or does she view it at an isolated incident? I do absolutely agree with you about situational awareness, fighting, and that there is life after.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Hopyard, I'm curious, does your sister in law carry a gun or other weapon now or does she view it at an isolated incident? I do absolutely agree with you about situational awareness, fighting, and that there is life after.
    She does not live in a place where she could carry, and likely would not in any case. My wife will not even consider touching
    a handgun though she wants them in the house and is not unhappy when I carry.

I suspect that my sister in-law views it as an isolated incident. Keep in mind she was about 55 when it happened so her perspective would have been very different from that of a young girl or young woman.

I don't think a handgun would have helped. I don't think pepper would have helped. Only some H2H skill and maybe a fixed blade knife hidden in her waist-band would have made a difference.

He did a pretty "good" job of beating her face to pulp. How many people, man or woman, would be able to
    draw knife or gun in the midst of a barrage of fists to the face?

Before the beating he forced her into her house, to the kitchen where he then grabbed a meat knife and put it to her neck. Again, how many men would be able to break free,
    disarm, and turn the attack just long enough to pull and fire a gun.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying don't carry a knife or gun because they are useless. I'm saying merely carrying them
    could be a substantial liability without further skills.

They are both far more useful when you are not totally surprised and overwhelmed--- which of course is what the criminal aims for.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links