Weekend Travel: Preparedness or Paranoia???

This is a discussion on Weekend Travel: Preparedness or Paranoia??? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Happy memorial to all. Thanks to those that have served and blessed be those are lost and wounded. Yesterday as I was loading up the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GetSmith

Thread: Weekend Travel: Preparedness or Paranoia???

Happy memorial to all. Thanks to those that have served and blessed be those are lost and wounded.

Yesterday as I was loading up the car for a 200 mile trip the coast I was wondering, am I paranoid? Anytime I take an overnight trip with the family I pack a pistol, shotgun, and a 22LR with a 50 cal ammo can full for each weapon. It's a small percentage of my home preparedness but I would feel stupid and scared if we had a big earthquake or other "event" and I only had my EDC with a few mags.

It's not much of an inconvenience. The ammo cans are always full setting next to the safe. I just pack up the long guns and load it in the back of the SUV with the other SHTF supplies that are always there. My wife knows me better than to even bring the issue up and although I do get the rolling eyes from her as I'm loading up I think she sees some practicality in it.

I just wanted to bounce my actions off the board. If a few others here do the same I would consider myself sane. If this seems overkill to most than ill admit I'm paranoid but won't seek help to change my actions. What say you???

VIP Member
    As an aside, what we think shouldn't matter. Do what is legal and what makes you comfortable.

But since you asked....

I suppose it would depend. If you are camping "in the woods" your practice seems fine, but not because of SHTF - I'm thinking critters big and small, four legged and two.

If you are going to visit a friend or whatever, that seems like a bit of overkill. And I don't like hauling around a lot of weapons because I need to be responsible for them. Maybe just buy some extra mags and bring more ammo for your carry. Would make packing a lot easier.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    If it calms your fears; then it's ok.

One man's paranoia is another man's preparedness.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

If this seems overkill to most than ill admit I'm paranoid but won't seek help to change my actions. What say you???
    It would seem a bit of overkill to me but I'm not walking in your shoes. If it's what you need and you can square it with California law enforcement do what you feel you should.

So, you're taking 3 ammo cans full of ammo as well as the firearms for a two or three day trip? Well, ya it sounds a little paranoid to me, but if that makes you feel safer, go in peace and enjoy the trip.

I would only have a sidearm, an extra mag or two and that's it, but I'm sure some people would say even that's paranoid.

ETA - and hey, in your neck of the woods if CHP stops you and for whatever reason finds THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo in your car you might make the local paper. There's your fifteen minutes of fame! j/k

Distinguished Member
    Ya, it does seem a little over the top to me. I would be/am content with my EDC, spare mag and my get home bag with extra ammo.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Better to have all of it and need none of it than the other way around.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    At first glance it would seem a bit extreme.

On the other hand, if for some reason you had to fight your way back home, you'll be glad you had it. If nothing else, you could trade it for things that you needed to expedite your way back home because in a situation like that, ammo is money.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Yesterday as I was loading up the car for a 200 mile trip the coast I was wondering, am I paranoid? Anytime I take an overnight trip with the family I pack a pistol, shotgun, and a 22LR with a 50 cal ammo can full for each weapon. It's a small percentage of my home preparedness but I would feel stupid and scared if we had a big earthquake or other "event" and I only had my EDC with a few mags.
    Paranoia? Absolutely not. It's called preparedness.

I've lived in "the wilds" and enjoy heading out beyond hailing distance to the road less traveled. But that means the car can break down, miscreants can believe I'm an easy target, Mother Nature can raise her shackles, etc. IMO, it's always best while on such a trip to have a BOB, basic "survival" tools such as fresh water, snacks, suitable clothing/blankets, knives, guns/ammo, first aid kit and the like. To do any less simply is failing to prepare, failing to appreciate what can easily occur while away from our supplies and away from assistance if things should go "south."

Once upon a time, 200mi from home was considered a very great distance. These days, in many places, 200mi is nothing, as it's close to amenities, close to help, in easy cell phone range, near food stores and services, etc. But, things can happen. And particularly if you're heading outside such areas, IMO it's one's responsibility to be capable of surviving situations that can be easily planned for and dealt with, if only you have a few supplies and forethought.

Lose your wallet, have a car break down, have a bad storm intervene, or run into a dangerous or poisonous critter, and you can see how quickly having items with you can seriously improve your odds of getting back intact. Never experienced this, days' walk from home? You just haven't lived.

And so, I prepare a little. Haven't been stuck and sorry for it for decades, because of this basic prep. It's not paranoia. It's full realization that life's a contact sport, and things can happen other than as planned. Depending on the path and destination, one's very survival can depend upon this basic prep.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wait a minute... You're leaving your house for 3 days during these troubled and dangerous times?????

Enjoy the holiday weekend everyone.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

What ever works for YOU!
    I too, take a bit of extra fire power for long distance travel.
    We're going to be traveling 5 states north in a few weeks. I'll be taking a couple of Glocks and my SP101, along with several boxes of ammo.
    Certainly not overkill, but it makes me feel comfortable to have a bit more 'equalizer' on road trips.

Stay safe out there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ok so it's official, I'm a gun nut!!! If the wife questions it ill admit it.

Here's my reasoning for those interested. In CA we are due for a Megaquake. When that happens we won't have notice like a hurricane or tornado. In a moments notice the states transportation, power, and EMS services could be shut down. Society is only civil when they have what they need. Most aren't prepared for SHTF. I'm ready at my home but would hate to get caught away from home.

These guns/ammo are to give me a few days to access the situation and if its worse than the government to respond to I would be out on foot with the 10/22 and 50 lbs of 22lr hiking home.

To be honest in our current state I feel a some sort of SHTF event is more likely than an encounter with a BG that will require me to draw my weapon. Most people get through life without the need for a gun. I feel the chances are almost certain there will be some "event" within the next 20 years. When that happens ill be ready. Yes, I'm a preper. CCW is just one aspect of being prepared.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    To be honest in our current state I feel a some sort of SHTF event is more likely than an encounter with a BG that will require me to draw my weapon. CCW is just one aspect of being prepared.
    Yup.

BTDT, on the west coast, many hundreds of times out in the wilds, away from assistance, off the beaten path. And many times I've had my transportation fail, my meeting point with others not work out as planned, a big/bad critter intervene, or have half the supplies lost down a canyon drop. You never know what's going to transpire. Funny, how "prepping" for such little jaunts off the path help one to realize having a spare, having supplies, having a cache, planning for eventualities can all help one survive the inevitable bumps in the road.

Been through a few large quakes, myself, including a couple bad enough to zap the roads and kill overland transportation outside the town. Been through regional flooding. Been out on remoter sections of narrow country road when roads became impassable. Been out during late autumn when an early heavy snowfall destroyed most hope of getting back without freezing and running out of water (though, thankfully all that snow solved that minor speed bump). You never know what's going to transpire.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If your playing the odds? The odds are you won't need a gun this weekend. The odds are some body will need a gun this weekend. Who we don't know. It could be you, although I most assuredly don't wish that on you. Be prepared,stay safe.

sometimes i ask myself the same question. and my answer is always, "if it makes me feel better and won't land me in jail, what the heck? i have a wife and two kids i have to protect.". just recently we took a 600+/- mile round trip camping and wheeling(4x4) one nighter. i packed my edc xdm 3.8(concealed) with about 4 extra 19rnd mags, an xd sc with an extra mag and about 50 extra rounds. i jokingly told the wife i was also bringing the 870. i really was, but i didn't. i didn't want her to think i'm too paranoid. when we were unpacking at the campsite that night, from the back of the suv she asks with a sense of urgency, "honey, where's the shotty? i thought you brought it.". "i thought you'd laugh at me babe.", i said. she said she thought it was a good idea when i mentioned it back at home. from now on, i will.

Sponsored Links