I need a peephole!

This is a discussion on I need a peephole! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I had an odd occurrence last night. My wife got home from work around 11:30 last night and shortly afterwards we both fell asleep ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: I need a peephole!

I need a peephole!

So I had an odd occurrence last night. My wife got home from work around 11:30 last night and shortly afterwards we both fell asleep watching TV in bed. I wake up at some point to a dinging sound. I hear it again and realize it is the doorbell and it's one am. The dogs aren't barking because they don't recognize the sound of a doorbell like they do a knock at the door (our old house didn't have a doorbell). So I grab my pistol and go to look through the peephole to see who the hell is at my door at one in the morning and realize I do not have a peephole (just moved into this house)! At this point the guy knocks on the door, setting off the dogs and waking my wife up.

I say through the door, "What do you want?!" and he replies, "I am your new neighbor and need to use your phone." to which I reply, "I don't know you and I'm not opening my door for anyone I don't know at one in the morning." Then I tell the dogs to shut up because I can't hear what is going on outside my front door. I hear the guy mumble "I'm sorry" or something and can hear him move away from the door. My wife, who was peeking through the blinds said he was walking funny like some sort of over exaggerated tip toe walk across our front yard toward the house next door. She couldn't figure out if he was drunk or just not good at sneaking around.

It was all very strange. He didn't claim an emergency or anything, just said he needed to use the phone. I wouldn't have let him in if he did say it was an emergency but would have offered to call 911 for him if he needed me to. The new neighbor comment has really been bugging me because I saw a couple with a moving truck next door a couple of weeks ago moving things into the house but haven't seen anyone coming or going regularly since. Occasionally there would be a white car in the driveway (it wasn't there last night or this morning). I just figured that their lease started on June 1st and the land lord let them move some of their stuff in early.

I now really want to meet the new neighbor in the light of day and ask them if it was indeed him that knocked on my door or if we were being targeted for a late night home invasion. If it was him, I'd like to explain that it really isn't a good idea to ring someone's doorbell at one in the morning and introduce yourself as the new neighbor unless immediate police or medical assistance is needed.

Anyway...just wanted to throw this one out there and get your thoughts. It also makes me even more happy that my alarm company finally made it over here to install the alarm...which I proceeded to set off this morning when I let the dogs out after I specifically told my wife not too forget that I had it set for "No Entry Delay".

So now I'm off to Home Depot to buy a peephole to install. I'm sure my landlord won't mind!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just follow the directions on the peephole box. Us men never read directions and i don't want you to put it in backwards. No it never happened to me.

I think you used very good street smarts ! The only thing I would have done differently is I would have been armed when I went to the door. On a tactical note, get a large peep hole. the ones you need to squint through to see are about useless> i installed a second peep hole in the door in my apt complex, about 12 inches below and close to the edge of the door. It never gets noticed and a peephole can make an inviting target for a determined bad guy to shoot at if they think you are behind it. My friends say I am paranoid, I call it prepared.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    a 147g +p Federal HST 9mm then just slide the peephole cylinder through and cap both ends............
    fredg53 likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

...hope you buy the 200-degree model instead of a cheaper one...it's worth a coupla extra bucks...it's the only one I install...you can have someone hold up their driver's license and read it through the peephole...they can hold a coin down at arms' length and you can identify the size coin...amazing clarity... (requires 9/16" hole in door)...if you're upgrading, reaming the old half-inch hole out a bit opens it up enough to accept the good one...or you can use a cone-shaped file or rasp bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    So I had an odd occurrence last night. My wife got home from work around 11:30 last night and shortly afterwards we both fell asleep watching TV in bed. I wake up at some point to a dinging sound. I hear it again and realize it is the doorbell and it's one am. The dogs aren't barking because they don't recognize the sound of a doorbell like they do a knock at the door (our old house didn't have a doorbell). So I grab my pistol and go to look through the peephole to see who the hell is at my door at one in the morning and realize I do not have a peephole (just moved into this house)! At this point the guy knocks on the door, setting off the dogs and waking my wife up.

I say through the door, "What do you want?!" and he replies, "I am your new neighbor and need to use your phone." to which I reply, "I don't know you and I'm not opening my door for anyone I don't know at one in the morning." Then I tell the dogs to shut up because I can't hear what is going on outside my front door. I hear the guy mumble "I'm sorry" or something and can hear him move away from the door. My wife, who was peeking through the blinds said he was walking funny like some sort of over exaggerated tip toe walk across our front yard toward the house next door. She couldn't figure out if he was drunk or just not good at sneaking around.

It was all very strange. He didn't claim an emergency or anything, just said he needed to use the phone. I wouldn't have let him in if he did say it was an emergency but would have offered to call 911 for him if he needed me to. The new neighbor comment has really been bugging me because I saw a couple with a moving truck next door a couple of weeks ago moving things into the house but haven't seen anyone coming or going regularly since. Occasionally there would be a white car in the driveway (it wasn't there last night or this morning). I just figured that their lease started on June 1st and the land lord let them move some of their stuff in early.

I now really want to meet the new neighbor in the light of day and ask them if it was indeed him that knocked on my door or if we were being targeted for a late night home invasion. If it was him, I'd like to explain that it really isn't a good idea to ring someone's doorbell at one in the morning and introduce yourself as the new neighbor unless immediate police or medical assistance is needed.

Anyway...just wanted to throw this one out there and get your thoughts. It also makes me even more happy that my alarm company finally made it over here to install the alarm...which I proceeded to set off this morning when I let the dogs out after I specifically told my wife not too forget that I had it set for "No Entry Delay".

So now I'm off to Home Depot to buy a peephole to install. I'm sure my landlord won't mind!
    ...my neighbor and I spend an unusual amount of time in the garages, even at night(not due to our behavior, due to our work)...I put one of these in each of our garage doors...(his metal door needed a 1x4 block behind it on the inside to stabilize it-just drill through the block and caulk/glue it to the inside of the door...then install as normal...)...we can see clearly anyone in the whole driveway or both sides of the driveway...amazing field of view and no raising a garage door to a bad surprise...

The last apartment I lived in in Pittsburgh didn't have one and the landlord gave me hell about installing one because of the "security door" where people had to be buzzed into the building. I had a crazy ex-girlfriend who somehow found out where I lived and managed to get buzzed in by somebody else by claiming I wouldn't answer my buzzer.

Imagine my shock when I answered that knock at 3pm.. with another girl uhhh, on the couch. She went crazy, police showed up and arrested her and I installed a peephole the next day. It's just a shame something had to happen before the landlord was on board.
    Darrow75 and nicholasv00 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I think you used very good street smarts ! The only thing I would have done differently is I would have been armed when I went to the door. On a tactical note, get a large peep hole. the ones you need to squint through to see are about useless> i installed a second peep hole in the door in my apt complex, about 12 inches below and close to the edge of the door. It never gets noticed and a peephole can make an inviting target for a determined bad guy to shoot at if they think you are behind it. My friends say I am paranoid, I call it prepared.
    Good point about peephole placement. I never really thought about that. I generally use my "ninja skills" whenever I approach the front door to look through a peephole. I am naturally light footed for a middle aged fat guy. I sometimes accidentally sneak up on my wife without realizing I have gone into ninja mode. I drives her crazy!

I actually was armed when I went to the door. Really the only time a pistol is not either on my person or within arms reach is when I'm in the pool or at the beach.

...not being insulting at all, it's best to drill just till your drill tip breaks through(if using a pointed wood bit) or dimples out the other side of the door...then stop, collapse the dimple inwards, and carefully drill from the other side, making sure the bit doesn't walk out of the dimple...then the hole will match the hole from the other side well, and no splinters around either side, as there would be if you go all the way through from one side...it's also good to use the level bubble on the drill to make sure the hole's level and not at a slight angle or side-to-side...which will keep it from screwing in tightly...

...also, I used to put them in with MY height in mind...now I ask who's the shortest person who'll be answering the door and THEN we decide how high...I get less frowns from the wives...

...OK...just for fun while we're waiting for OP to get back from Home Dippy...why does a guy go into a store and buy a drill?

...first three posters to answer, I would like to be 40 or below...then anyone can jump in...

done.
    Snub44 and perfection like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Pick up phone call 911 this is not normal at 1am, 1yr ago same thing happened to us, LEOs arrived in 11min as I monitored what was going on and direction of travel when he left and 20 mins later LEOs had him

Administrator
    If the event happened exactly as you have relayed it...my best guess is that somebody NOT your neighbor was attempting to gain entry into your home for no good purpose.

At that time of night a request to use the phone by a neighbor would have been indicative of some sort of emergency and what transpired after you told him NO would not have been what happened had it really been a neighbor with a genuine nighttime emergency.

On the bright side your house was probably just selected at random.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I live in a relatively new community. i volunteered to be a block watch capt. There have been reports of a suspicious person. In fact I was out with a neighbor and we spoke to him at a distance, and we reported the event among the Watch group. He has been caught on neighbors security cameras at early AM hours, just walking the neighborhood. He was reported to have been spotted at our rec hall and pool, but every time we call the Non emergency number for our Sheriff's dept, it takes at least ten minutes for them to show up. One good thing is my wife stopped complaining about me carrying from the time i wake up till I go to sleep. Though if i bump into him again, I'm just going to call the Sheriff's dept. unless there is a direct threat, I am not going to be the next George Zimmerman.
    nicholasv00 likes this.

Instead of a peephole get a security camera. That way he may never see it and if he does...shooting it won't hurt you. A peephole shot at could give you a head shot. OW! Hurts just thinking about it.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

As someone who has a peephole. let me save you the time. They are useless unless your doorway is well-lit. My dim hallway is not, and anything I see through it appears to be a blurred shadow. Now to the technicality, anyone with 1/16 of a brain can cover it up with their finger, color it in with a marker, sticky note. Mine as well not have one tbh.

My method is opening the door about an inch or so, with my size 13 steel toe, anchored under 250lbs (one heck of a door jam). It will take a lot of force to get in, and its very likely the door will brake before my foot moves any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links