Traveling to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Need some clarification please.

This is a discussion on Traveling to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Need some clarification please. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll be traveling to Santa Fe in late July and I have some questions on local CCW laws. I know they will honor my Texas ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems

Thread: Traveling to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Need some clarification please.

I'll be traveling to Santa Fe in late July and I have some questions on local CCW laws.

I know they will honor my Texas CHL and I have read what I can find on Handgunlaw.us but still have a couple of questions I am hoping Santa Fe locals can assist with.

The first question is with regards to no gun signs. In Texas a sign has to have specific wording to be enforceable. Is there some format needed in NM or is any gun buster sign enforceable?

Second is with regards to restaurants. If I read correctly any restaurant that sells hard liquor (above and beyond beer and wine) is off limits. Is this correct?

Third is in regards to public transportation. I see that public busses are off limits. Anything else I need to know on this subject?

Fourth, is the Santa Fe Opera posts as a no gun zone? Don't ask... I was talked into it and the tickets have been purchased...

Thanks!

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't live there and can't answer your questions. But, I have been to the Santa Fe Opera and it is a very nice facility and quality performances.

BTW, the State question is: Red or Green? They mean what kind of sauce you want on your enchiladas. You can go Christmas, which is both.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

LOL! Thanks Lion. That settles one question!

Now hopefully someone will answer the others also.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    One VERY important thing to consider while traveling in the SW, including New Mexico. Major highways travel through Native American Lands, they typically do not have the same rules concerning your right to carry as the state does, or even the right to have a loaded firearm in the passenger area. So if you get pulled over on tribal land, they have been know to take firearms from people. Make sure you know which lands you are traveling through and what rules they have.

Just remember, you can only carry one gun at a time in New Mexico (seriously); no BUGS in New Mexico.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You may NOT carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in:

Schools...except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.1 NMSA 1978,fourth degree felony)
    University Premises...except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.4 NMSA 1978 petty misdemeanor)
    Preschools (29-19-8 NMSA 1978)
    Courts (29-19-11 NMSA 1978, without the consent of the presiding judge) Court means: any Federal, State, County, Municipal, or Tribal Court;
    Tribal Land (29-19-10, NMSA, unless authorized by the governing body of the tribe or pueblo)
    Public buses (30-7-13 NMSA 1978, misdemeanor)
    Airport security zones
    Federal Properties...Military Bases, Courthouse,etc. National Parks and National Wildlife Management Areas are OK if you have a NM Permit/License to Carry or a Permit/License valid in New Mexico.
    On private property where the owner has posted signs indicating that you may not carry or if the owner tells you that you cannot. Yes "No Gun" signs carry the force of the law.

There you go.
    lionround likes this.

Only one concealed gun, you can open carry as many as you'd like, except where specifically prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Just remember, you can only carry one gun at a time in New Mexico (seriously); no BUGS in New Mexico.

I called and asked (not NM) on tribal lands about carrying, and we were only driving to some specific locations and then back off the tribal lands. The guy was very friendly (sarcasism) and told me that "we don't want any white men on our land with guns.. period". So, I just had to do it. I said OK, then I'm not allowed to but my 2 grandkids who are with me will be able to have guns with them if they want, is that correct ? He said "hell no they can't".... in a disgusted manner. AT which point I asked him, "why can't they ...... they are part Choctah & from some things you've said about your heritage, I'm betting they have more Native American blood in them than you do " . He hung up. I called back and demanded an answer..... so they asked if they have their Indian Cards (if you don't know about them .. yes they issue them if you are over a certain % Indian and can prove it) ... and I said ... "yes, they do" . Another / different man got on the phone and said "yes, they can have guns with them".

My point really being.... I've met friendly and unfriendly people .... related to firearms on tribal lands, and the unfriendly ones .... are really unfriendly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Went to SF last summer and drove around to look at some of the hillside houses and scenery. Got lost and ended up driving to the top of the Sante Fe National Forest I think. Found a scenic overlook that looked over the city at night, it was beautiful. The temperature dropped 20 degrees on that drive up. The drive down was a little unnerving, I'm not used to having to use brakes that much. Some of the streets in town are very narrow but it is a beautiful place to visit. Wife and daughter found lots of indian jewelery there and I found a military museum. Have fun and stay safe.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

OutWest, Yeah I know that part. Most of that is standard operating procedure everywhere. I am asking about specifics of the signs and their proliferations.

Hi All,

I never really got answers to some of my original questions. If anyone from New Mexico can chime in it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Max

I'll be traveling to Santa Fe in late July and I have some questions on local CCW laws.

I know they will honor my Texas CHL and I have read what I can find on Handgunlaw.us but still have a couple of questions I am hoping Santa Fe locals can assist with.

The first question is with regards to no gun signs. In Texas a sign has to have specific wording to be enforceable. Is there some format needed in NM or is any gun buster sign enforceable?
    Second is with regards to restaurants. If I read correctly any restaurant that sells hard liquor (above and beyond beer and wine) is off limits. Is this correct?

Third is in regards to public transportation. I see that public busses are off limits. Anything else I need to know on this subject?

Fourth, is the Santa Fe Opera posts as a no gun zone?
    Don't ask... I was talked into it and the tickets have been purchased...

Thanks!

Max

Links