Keep The Phone On The Wife's Bedstand

This is a discussion on Keep The Phone On The Wife's Bedstand within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm still processing the events at our home yesterday morning, looking for improvements to make based upon the experience. One glaring shortcoming was the location ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Keep The Phone On The Wife's Bedstand

VIP Member

I'm still processing the events at our home yesterday morning, looking for improvements to make based upon the experience. One glaring shortcoming was the location of our phones. The house phone is in the den two rooms away. Both our cell phones were on their chargers in the living room, also two rooms away. While it didn't take long for her to get to one, it still took time, and every second may very well count. From now on, she will have a phone on her bedstand every night when we go to bed.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I have had my phone right next to my gun and flashlight for years. The only draw back is the occasional telemarketer at 3am.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

An option for you and possibly others... You said your home phone is in the den. These types of phones allow you to put phones in rooms that don't have phone jacks. The main unit does need a phone jack (in your den for instance), the others simply only need to be plugged into the wall. You can buy additional units as needed.

I'm not endorsing this particular brand, just showing an example.

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG6512B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Digital Cordless Phone System, Black, 2 Handsets: Electronics
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have had my phone right next to my gun and flashlight for years. The only draw back is the occasional telemarketer at 3am.....
    I'm opting to make the phone the wife's responsibility, since it turns out the task at hand called for my undivided attention.
    tdave and blanco64 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm opting to make the phone the wife's responsibility, since it turns out the task at hand called for my undivided attention.
    Understand. Everything in the proper context. My wife has the kids, I take care of the rest....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

We always have a phone near the bed. In fact, I have a bandolier belt with a flashlight, old phone (will still call 911), spare ammo magazines in .380 and 9mm, my house gun, ear plugs, pepper spray. I can just grab the belt and go.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Understand. Everything in the proper context. My wife has the kids, I take care of the rest....
    That makes sense. It is just her and me here, so the roles can be a bit simpler. I'm as pleased as I can be with how well she did. She was extremely frightened and disoriented, but still got everything right.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That makes sense. It is just her and me here, so the roles can be a bit simpler. I'm as pleased as I can be with how well she did. She was extremely frightened and disoriented, but still got everything right.
    Glad to hear that. It is a situation that I have first hand knowledge of how fast things can go south. I would not wish it upon anyone....

I have a previous cell phone plugged into a charger on my nightstand. My normal cell is usually off or in another room charging. We have a cordless phone for our landline which is in it's charger on the wifes nightstand, my nightstand is kind of full with the Homak lock box (my EDC's sleeping quarters), Spyderco Harpy, Fenix LD10, RKE transmitter and car keys, alarm clock, and lamp.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

This is something I need to be more aware of. We don't have a landline and my cell phone will be wherever I set it down last. Also, now that my husband has been transferred for work and is gone Mon-Fri, maybe I should have a talk with my oldest and let him know if an emergency comes up its his job to call 911 since it will be on my shoulders to handle whatever else... Thanks for bringing it up!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    This is something I need to be more aware of. We don't have a landline and my cell phone will be wherever I set it down last. Also, now that my husband has been transferred for work and is gone Mon-Fri, maybe I should have a talk with my oldest and let him know if an emergency comes up its his job to call 911 since it will be on my shoulders to handle whatever else... Thanks for bringing it up!!
    This is exactly why I bought it up. Things we don't consider...
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    In most places old cell phones will dial 911 with no service plan needed or monthly fees . This may be of help if you are avoiding the late incoming phone calls
    Last edited by welder516; June 3rd, 2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Xader and Lish like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    In most places old cell phones will dial 911 with no service plan needed or monthly fees . This may be of help if you are avoiding the late incoming phone calls
    This is something I always tell people, and most had never heard about it before.

Most of us have at least one old cell phone kicking about. It still works, but maybe it's for your previous network, or maybe its just outdated. If you don't, you can just buy a $10 pay-as-you-go phone from Walmart and don't put any minutes on it. Or look at a thrift store or pawn shop for something cheap, but functioning. I use an old Nokia from my pre-smartphone days.

Just keep it on the charger on your night stand. It will always be charged, it will always make a 911 call, and it will never ring.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    An option for you and possibly others... You said your home phone is in the den. These types of phones allow you to put phones in rooms that don't have phone jacks. The main unit does need a phone jack (in your den for instance), the others simply only need to be plugged into the wall. You can buy additional units as needed.

I'm not endorsing this particular brand, just showing an example.

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG6512B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Digital Cordless Phone System, Black, 2 Handsets: Electronics
    Mike made a good point. So too iguanadon.

We have that brand with 3 handsets and like it very very well. HOWEVER, the phone next to our bed is an old fashioned hard wired phone because power failures will take the cordless phones down. The corded phone is backed up by cell phones on our nightstand.

I can't believe we have 4 phones in our bedroom as when I was growing up a phone was a great luxury item many could not
    afford.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Great idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links