Gun in the shower??

Gun in the shower??

This is a discussion on Gun in the shower?? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok i know this may be WAY out there but its something my wife wants. She has brought up to me on more than one ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Gun in the shower??

Gun in the shower??

Ok i know this may be WAY out there but its something my wife wants. She has brought up to me on more than one occasion over the past few years that she wants to have a gun in the shower. My job takes me away from home overnight and she has a consistent worried about the what if's while she’s in the shower, she doesn’t think she would be able to get to the closet if someone were to break in and the alarm start sounding.
    I kind of brushed it off the first time something was said but the 2nd time and beyond i realized it’s not just a thought for her but rather a actual concern. I mentioned maybe mounting something on the underside of the sink just outside the shower but she wants it in the shower.

Has anyone ever even considered setting something like this up? My thoughts were an inexpensive revolver in a Pelican waterproof box, and put it higher than were the shower head hits. Maybe even vacuum sealing in one of those food saver bags and then in pelican box??

I really don’t know if this is even a plausible thing to pull off but i have to see what i can do to try to make her comfortable and happy.

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm not sure about waterproof boxes, but Glocks with the maritime spring sets can fire even after being totally immersed in water.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Just have her put something on the sink counter top with a phone in the room. In the enclosed area of a shower there is probably very little usefulness of a handgun, shampoo in the eyes, slipper floor, soapy hands are not really ideal defensive conditions.

Bathroom is actually out "safe" room, single point of entry we have walk in closets at the far end that provide cover.
    accessbob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Need more information: what is your wife's intention for having a gun "in the shower" as opposed to on a table beside the shower? What purpose is having the gun in the shower going to solve that somewhere in the bathroom would not solve?
    I assume she locks the bathroom door if home alone and showering. If someone broke in or if you have an alarm system would she not have sufficient time to step out and retrieve weapon? I am having difficulty following the logic here.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Can she hear the alarm when she is showering? Can always test. If that is the case, what is the difference if she hears the alarm when showering v. hearing the alarm when she is in another room? As others have posted, a gun near the sink or in a drawer while showering is probably the most practical solution.
    oldnfat likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

A firearm in the bathroom.....Yes. In the shower....No.
    I would reinforce the bathroom door, hinges, frame and lock with something more secure than what bathrooms normally have and keep the firearm in the bathroom within reach.
    DJC7 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Mine is always in bathroom in arms reach when Im in the states. Glock usually.
    accessbob likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

First off, your wife sounds awesome. Second, it makes a lot of sense to me. The senses are definitely hampered by the sound of the water, being in a closed-off space, and so on, so it could be very difficult to detect an attack before the attacker is into the bathroom. A burglar or attacker might very well wait until they hear the shower is running, as it lets them know exactly where the person is and that they're less likely to hear anything. A strong door and an alarm system help, but can be overcome fairly easily for an experienced criminal.

I like your idea of the waterproof container with a revolver. Most guns are resistant to corrosion, but daily exposure to water and humidity in the shower would probably cause damage over time. Good point from Dsbjax on the soapy hands, a heavily checkered or stippled grip is a must, and it should definitely be drop-safe. As an attack in the shower would obviously be contact-distance, a revolver has a huge advantage over an auto in that the muzzle can be jammed into the BG's torso without a slide being pushed out of battery, which would prevent an auto from firing, and is less likely to get jammed with BG blood in a muzzle-contact shot. Even the relatively humble .38 snubby can be devastating with muzzle contact, as the expanding gasses following the bullet can go into the BG.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I understand you're wife's concern for being safe...you can always secure the bathroom door from entry by putting in an angle iron/steel rod brace on the inside of the bathroom so that even if there was an intruder he would probably not waste time trying to get into the bathroom....then she could have a gun at the ready....

bathroom.png
    mr.stuart likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have one of these....awesome. Electro less nickle....meant to withstand saltwater environment ect. Mount it overhead and the light spray it might sometimes get wont hurt a thing

...I just lay my .45 and a spare load on the back of the toilet and drop a towel over it...if the dogs set up an uproar, I know someone's here...friend or foe...

...if you don't have dogs, go to Home Dippy and buy one of those adjustable pole locks that either digs into the carpet or sticks to the floor and put it under the doorknob...NOBODY will open that door...it can live behind the door when not in use...cost: about $22

...I wouldn't take any gun into the shower with me...unless me and the wife wuz playin' Matt and Kitty...
    maxwell97, DJC7 and NONAME762 like this.

Ok to touch on a few points that were brought up
    -yes she can hear the alarm in the shower, we actually just installed a second siren in the closet in bathroom area
    -unfortunately there is no bathroom door in the master bath, just an arched door way (would take a bit of work to install one, I’ve looked into that option too)
    -I may not have really portrayed my point on this in original post, I don’t disagree that this isn’t the best idea and I’m more of a fan of the gun on the sink or a table but she really wants something in the shower with her and with her bringing it up several times over a long period of time im trying to see if there is something i can do to appease her and make her more comfortable.

What if she falls in the shower and no one can get in to help her? I am in the revolver on top of the toilet or shelf camp. Snub 44 has the best idea.
    Possibly a blinking light/ buzzer in the bathroom for alarm trips.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

...happy wife...happy life...I'd go stainless .38 and change the ammo monthly...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links