Are you kidding me???

This is a discussion on Are you kidding me??? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; thank goodness the baby woke us up a little while ago and we were talking in bed and on the lap top. it's passed 3am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Are you kidding me???

Are you kidding me???

thank goodness the baby woke us up a little while ago and we were talking in bed and on the lap top. it's passed 3am and i hear a loud noise outside and immediately my car alarm goes off. as i get up and grab the flashlight, keys and xdm(all on my night stand) i tell her to grab the phone. i go outside flashlight in my weak hand at about neck height and gun in my strong hand next to my hip. no one in sight. i click off the alarm and start investigating the area. i live in a gated apartment community. so there's hedges, trees and all sorts of stuff for someone to hide behind. but the coast was clear. so i draw the light on the car and as i come around the rear to see my rear bumper cover has some new white marks and is all out of alignment, i hear a door open across the way and a neighbor start walking towards me with only shorts on. i say, "you saw it?". "yeah, some f****r in a white car was parked across from you and just drove into your car and hauled man! my wife and i saw the whole thing(thank goodness for potheads). we were just up there in the balcony(which has a completely unobstructed view of my apt which is on the first floor with both cars right in front of the door) man.". we exchanged a few more words, i introduced myself and thanked him. i just called the gate and asked if they had a white car come through there in the last few. they told me they'd check and get back to me. SOB!!

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Cars can be replaced. Glad you and family are safe.

i know. and thanks. it just pisses me off. and now i have the retard security staff that we have on it. i had to call again and asked if they saw a white car in the video and the guy tells me he needs to come over and call the cops. i ask again if they had a white car leave within the last little while or so and i hear the lady who answered the first time say there's been a few white cars come through the gate. really? at passed 3am? what a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by hek1620 View Post
    thank goodness the baby woke us up a little while ago and we were talking in bed and on the lap top.
    Ah, the things a new baby makes ya forget. Bet you were wonderin' where that laptop had gone to.

Bummer about the car. Nice to have a gated community with a guard shack. Hopefully procedures are such that people's license plates and video of the driver get captured. It'd be nice to see someone nabbed for deliberate hit-and-run, and made to pay for every nickel of damage they caused.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

just finished up with the cop. like i told him if this had happened in a mall parking lot, which it has, plenty of times, i would've just eaten it and gone home. but i live in a gated community with "security". so i figure at least this time the perp can be charged for leaving the scene. i mean the damage isn't huge, we could've talked it over or at least have the decency to leave a note. if you ask me, i think these bs guards are letting in their friends to do no good.

Cars are fixable. Glad you are ok. Ive had my car banged up in a parking lot before and the people just bolt. That ticks me off. And yes some security guards are about worthless when you ask them and they dont see anything. Barney Fife comes to mind. LOL. Stay safe and carry on.

Unfortunate incident, but use it to make things better. Your neighbors are'nt really too bad are they? Your lucky most of mine would never help in any situation. Consider installing a security camera maybe, or having one on front gate. That should definitely be addressed . Maybe housing rules don't support that? You know what kills the will of a security guard to be vigilant? Being surrounded by people who don't care about their own security for one. Not saying you don't. Working for a client (s)who just want the window dressing appearance of security but not the inconvenience of it. Then there are policies that contradict good physical security. My point is to get better security it'll take the neighborhood supporting those guys, not treating them as if they are too stupid for any other work. I once took a security manager position at a company that utilized gold in their manufacturing process. It was a joke. We reported employee thefts and the client did'nt care. We were just there to keep insurance low. Maybe your security contractor is a low ball outfit. Get everyone to agree on paying more for better contractor?? Just saying go talk to security and help yourself maybe...
    NONAME762 likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They're security guards in a gated community, not Navy Seals. They're doing good to even be awake at 3:00 am.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What? Bad things happen in gated communities? I thought that the gates would keep evil at bay.

Those gates are about as useful as no gun signs. They make some feel safer but they really do nothing.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

you are right, but i don't concern myself with inanimate objects. to me, the security i pay for should be provided by the individuals that get paid for it. and if you guys would just lay eyes on some of these "security guards", you'd be like, "wow! those are you guards?". especially the ones working last night. it just seems suspicious because of the way the guard answered every one of my questions. if he answered it at all after a few times. if you ask me, these people are letting their homies into the 'hood to get messed up without having to roam the streets because the cops around here are plentiful and bored. and i live at the back of the complex and directly in front my door are our/neighbors spots. across from our spots is a very long row of visitor spots that is always empty. perfect spot to just chill and look like a parked car at 3 in the morning. and it was not there the last time i went outside to the car which was around 1:20am. at this point i'm more upset about the staff here than the damage. we want to move to central fl so bad! i know there's crime everywhere. so fla has just turned into this rotten place. where everyone is out to one up you, or cut you off or in too self important to say thank you when you hold a door for them. i've been here my whole life so long enough to see the decline in the moral fabric of the community. plus, there's no where to wheel.

VIP Member
    you are right, but i don't concern myself with inanimate objects. to me, the security i pay for should be provided by the individuals that get paid for it. and if you guys would just lay eyes on some of these "security guards", you'd be like, "wow! those are you guards?". especially the ones working last night. it just seems suspicious because of the way the guard answered every one of my questions. if he answered it at all after a few times. if you ask me, these people are letting their homies into the 'hood to get messed up without having to roam the streets because the cops around here are plentiful and bored. and i live at the back of the complex and directly in front my door are our/neighbors spots. across from our spots is a very long row of visitor spots that is always empty. perfect spot to just chill and look like a parked car at 3 in the morning. and it was not there the last time i went outside to the car which was around 1:20am. at this point i'm more upset about the staff here than the damage. we want to move to central fl so bad! i know there's crime everywhere. so fla has just turned into this rotten place. where everyone is out to one up you, or cut you off or in too self important to say thank you when you hold a door for them. i've been here my whole life so long enough to see the decline in the moral fabric of the community. plus, there's no where to wheel.
    Dude, a guy hit your car and drove away. This is not indicative of the fall of Western Civilization from within. This has been happening for decades. Happened to a buddy of mine in high school in 1984 - you know, when it was "Morning in America."

It sucks, but it happens.
    SiVisPacem and Hopyard like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    i've been here my whole life so long enough to see the decline in the moral fabric of the community.
    Dude, a guy hit your car and drove away. This is not indicative of the fall of Western Civilization from within. This has been happening for decades.
    No, you're right. Yet, many of us are old enough to recall when such hit-and-run situations seemed a rarity, when at minimum folks left notes (when they were pressed for time). Once was, that I didn't know anyone who sustained such things as the OP. Nowadays, it just seems the way folks handle it (ie, split). Just another indicator on the long road of a degrading sense of personal responsibility and moral compass. It's everywhere ... including in the little things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

pef, like i said already, the leaving the scene is what i'm used to and don't care much about. it's they way daily life is handled in the EVER SO SPECIAL SOUTH FLORIDA. with all due respect, you're in ga. even if you've visited miami, it doesn't mean you know/understand what i'm talking about.

If you don't like the security staff because they are doing a lousy job, take it up with the owners association and get new security people. If you don't like the security people because you consider them inept and sub-human, then maybe you should either move or hire your own personal security staff. If your vehicle got damaged because of something the security staff did not do, then file a suit with apartment owner's association, or the security company.

It sucks that you suffered a loss, but it's not the fault of the security staff. After all, they didn't run into your car. How do you know it was a visitor, and not another resident? Have you gone through your complex, looking for a vehicle with recent damage? Maybe, just maybe, some of your fellow residents had visitors over that got drunk and hit your car on the way out?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

i will. we are(moving asap). if need be. traffic investigator is coming either today or tomorrow supposedly. about it not being the security's fault, how do you know that? my neighbor in fact has a white 4dr car and was gone for 2 days after this. last night i checked her car, no signs. she just moved in to the apartment she owns but was renting. those tenants were the only ones that would have parties and have people parking in this area. but they got kicked out long ago. the way the complex is built, i'm pretty much in a secluded area. and frankly hardly any residents around me. about a drunk hitting my car, that's what i think happened. but you must have read over the part that a neighbor from across the way who was in his balcony which faces my apt, cars, everything. and he didn't mention anyone walking out to the car. it had just parked there and stayed for an unknown amount of time but less than about 2 hours. this i'm sure of. no one was seen getting in or out of the car. does this answer all of your questions? trust me, if the cops are unable to retrieve info from the security staff, this community will be hearing from me. i couldn't care less about the car. i already fixed the damage myself. the point is i live in an armed security community for a reason. and if these people are not doing their jobs, or worse letting people in who aren't supposed to be here, someone has to be held accountable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links