Glass doors?

Glass doors?

This is a discussion on Glass doors? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I bought our house in Charleston last year and have been arguing about/discussing getting new doors. Both our front and back doors ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Glass doors?

Glass doors?

My wife and I bought our house in Charleston last year and have been arguing about/discussing getting new doors. Both our front and back doors have large glass panes, which from a home defense standpoint I deem pretty sub-par. I want to replace them with a solid wood setup, but she loves what we currently have...and her opinion trumps mine in matters like this.

Do y'all have any suggestions on how to beef up security for doors like this? FWIW our main floor also have a ton of windows at about eye height that wouldn't put up much resistance to a BG.

I've looked into anti-shatter security film, but it's rather expensive for the quantity I would need to do it right.

Any suggestions?
    Now it is 1984
    Knock-knock at your front door
    It's the suede/denim secret police
    They have come for your uncool niece

VIP Member
    There was a thread on this in the last year or two, but I can't find it.

Mrs. Whec and I compromised by her getting mottled glass, and me getting ornate, but heavy steel black bars to reinforce it. It looks pretty and fragile, but it's basically a steel door. The glass can break, but getting through is another story.

I'm not about to go as far as putting bars on our windows though. If they wanna get in, they can. They'll just wish that they didn't at my house.
    R040607 and Betty like this.

For windows, if there's room, you could just plant some thorny bushes to deter folks from hiding/accessing windows from the outside. As far as the door, would she be open to a glass door with decorative metal reinforcement?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you think you're going to protect yourself from every possible threat, you might want to consider a nuclear missile silo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good luck changing her mind...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Nuclear missile silo isn't a half bad idea.
    Now it is 1984
    Knock-knock at your front door
    It's the suede/denim secret police
    They have come for your uncool niece

when it comes to doors with glass windows I am on your side. My apartment ( rented townhome complex) had a door with large glass panes that if were broken out, would give a BG access to the dead bolt that is meant to be inaccessible. Glass paned doors defeat the purpose of security. I bugged my apt complex to replace my door until they did so. other than replacing the door there is no good defense measure IMO. I personally would keep arguing until she gave in, or I would just replace it wether she liked it or not. the security of my home will always be more important than my spouses want of a pretty door....but that may be why i am single.....
    joker1 and Stoveman like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Bullet proof glass. Since you are in Charleston it will double as a hurricane shutter.

By the way, I am not kidding. This is not all that uncommon here in high end houses.
    Taurahe likes this.

Bars on the windows doesn't work out so well when the place is on fire and you need to get out of the room you are trapped in. The bars work both ways, they keep the BG out and keep you in.

Storm door with iron bars. But they are expensive. I wonder at what point between a "home" and a "fort" we become too fearful.

You can get hurricane glass. Its really sturdy agaisnt home invaders. Just recently down here a couple guys were trying to get into a house they kicked the glass to no avail broke a metal chair on the glass and ended up shooting the glass a few times and still never got inside.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    You could get a door that has glass on the top portion of the door (as opposed to the top half of the door). It would be difficult for someone to break the glass and reach the deadbolt, but it would still allow light to come in. It would also make it a little more difficult to look inside (though not impossible). Obviously, nothing is going to make your house impenetrable. But you don't need to make your house impossible to break in, you just need to make your neighbors' house look easier.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    You can have a Fort Knox grade door and there is still going to be a window within a few feet of it. If someone wants in, your not likely to prevent it. I see it as more important that you detect their entry and generate some form of alert.

Get a new wife.

Sliding glass doors make me nervous. French doors would make me nervous but they're just too hoity toity and just scream to BG's break in HERE.

Get a new wife.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by SiVisPacem View Post
    My wife and I bought our house in Charleston last year and have been arguing about/discussing getting new doors. Both our front and back doors have large glass panes, which from a home defense standpoint I deem pretty sub-par. I want to replace them with a solid wood setup, but she loves what we currently have...and her opinion trumps mine in matters like this.

Do y'all have any suggestions on how to beef up security for doors like this? FWIW our main floor also have a ton of windows at about eye height that wouldn't put up much resistance to a BG.

I've looked into anti-shatter security film, but it's rather expensive for the quantity I would need to do it right.

Any suggestions?
    If the current door is a nice setup, I would just change the glass to tempered unbreakable. these glass packages are so strong you can beat them with a hammer and will not break nor will they shatter if shot. the glass is layered simmiliar to what is in the windshield of a car but is designed fro double pane installation. I have installed this type of glass package, that were sold by the Allside corporation, usally in most cities I think they have an office in Charleston of not near by, also would check other window companies in your area for availablity.
    chris

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Replece the panels with this, and your good to go Protect3 Safety Glass Most thugs have tried to break this stuff in school and will keep walking.

I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links