Pro 2A cop helps me change flat tire

This is a discussion on Pro 2A cop helps me change flat tire within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I made it from Tennessee to Texas and back...On the way there I did have a flat tire, though. An Arkansas Highway Police officer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Pro 2A cop helps me change flat tire

Talking Pro 2A cop helps me change flat tire

Well, I made it from Tennessee to Texas and back...On the way there I did have a flat tire, though. An Arkansas Highway Police officer stopped to help, which was nice. He asked me if I had a flat and I said yes and then I said, "I just wanted to let you know I have a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit and I am armed today." He waved his hand dismissively and said, "Oh, I'm not worried about that as long as you don't start shootin' at me or nothin'." He was awesome and let me use his hydraulic jack and quad lug wrench so that I wouldn't have to use my crummy scissor jack and cheesy 10" long lug wrench.

I asked my kids if they could recognize his firearm and they correctly identified it as a Glock. He was impressed by that and their talk of gun safety. He told them it was a Glock 21 and said, "When I was 7 I got my first gun. It was a .22." Later he said, "I'm just glad when people carry when they travel - 'cause you never know what might happen!"

After the tire was changed, he asked me for my license, saying that he has to complete some paperwork whenever he stops to assist a motorist. I gave him my license and offered my permit but he said he only needed my license. He gave it back in like 30 seconds and I thanked him and headed off.

Super nice officer. Good experience. Feels good to know there are some decent people left in this world...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And that's how most are. Unfortunately, a few bad apples tend to draw the attention. Get one of those folding 4-way lug wrenches. It's worth the $15-20.
    OD* and perfection like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...and as it should ALWAYS be!
    perfection likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Chalk one up for the Arkansas State Troopers!!
    perfection likes this.

VIP Member
    FWIW, I don't believe you have to inform if your CCW is made out of a Pop Tart.

Good stop, most of the troopers, police, and deputies I know are really good guys.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    They are some good ones, in this little county,i'm in.That said,i'm getting to be an old fart,lol,who grew up with a couple of deputies..
    Sounds like the OP had a good one helping him.

VIP Member
    Hope you got his name and plan on sending a Kudos to his supervisor, recognizing his service.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    And they carry Glock 21s.......sweet!
    perfection likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Hope you got his name and plan on sending a Kudos to his supervisor, recognizing his service.
    Done! Just now....
    Tzadik and oakchas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Done! Just now....
    Thank you for doing this. All to often the only feedback LEOs get is negative.
    oakchas and perfection like this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Nice to run into good people along the way while traveling . I tip my hat to the Fine Officer . Be Safe
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Sounds good. I wish all LEO were like that. But I understand what they have to go through on a day to day basis.I do my best to show the respect and hope I get some in return.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Thank you for doing this. All to often the only feedback LEOs get is negative.
    Thanks for the prompting. Here's my email and the response I got:

To: info@arkansashighways.com

I just wanted to say how thankful I am for Officer Troy who helped me change a tire on 6/21/13. He was very kind to me and my family while we were traveling from TN to TX and passing through AR. I was having trouble deploying my spare and he figured that out for me as well as letting me borrow his jack. He was very courteous to us. Also, I appreciated the way he handled the situation of me informing him that I was legally armed. He was very respectful of my 2nd Amendment rights and didn't freak out about my having a firearm to protect my family.
    I've read a lot about the police corruption that's out there and officers who do not respect the dignity of the people they serve. Officer Troy made me have renewed faith in law enforcement and made me feel like there are still some very decent people left in this world. Please pass this correspondence on to his superiors.

Thank you to the Arkansas Highway Police for putting their lives on the line every day to protect the people and for doing so with such professionalism!

From: Public Information Office <INFO@arkansashighways.com>
    To: *******

What a GREAT story, ******!

Do you remember which road you were on and approximately where so I can pass this along to the right people?

VERY glad your 2nd Amendment rights were respected. You’ll find A LOT of that goodwill in Arkansas!

I then gave him information about the location and he said he would forward my comments to Arkansas Highway Police Chief Ron Burks.
    babarock and QKShooter like this.

Just received this:

Hi *******-

Apparently Officer Troy is with the Arkansas State Police, not the Arkansas Highway Police. Two separate entities.

Our Highway Police Chief has, however, forwarded your kind comments to his counterpart at State Police.

Again, thank you for taking time to recognize Officer Troy. These folks in the field never get enough of that.

I thought I remembered the patrol car saying Highway Police. Oh well.
    QKShooter and babarock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Just received this:

I thought I remembered the patrol car saying Highway Police. Oh well.
    It's the famous "Ghost Trooper" of Arkansas!
    Stoveman likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links