ccw from ky to ny...

This is a discussion on ccw from ky to ny... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; traveling from louisville ky to niagara falls ny via.... oh, pn and of course ny.... i have ccw and have talk with ohio ag... no ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By towman

Thread: ccw from ky to ny...

ccw from ky to ny...

traveling from louisville ky to niagara falls ny via.... oh, pn and of course ny.... i have ccw and have talk with ohio ag... no problem carrying through oh.... can anybody save me some time and help me out on pn and ny.... i know ky has reciprocal with pn... so that should not be a problem... my big concern is traveling through ny.... i know i cant carry in ny,, but what about transporting my weapon through ny... thanks for your input

2. Remove Ads

Sorry I cant help on NY law my advice. Stay away from NY

Quote Originally Posted by fredg53 View Post
    Sorry I cant help on NY law my advice. Stay away from NY
    i found out from another forum that i cant bring firearm into state..... i dont really want to go to freakin ny but the wife wants to see the falls...

this is from another forum fyi :

F.O.P.A. covers interstate travel.
    Basically guns are in a locked case, (soft case with luggage lock on zipper is ok) unloaded, ammo seperate from firearms, and guns not within reach.
    Ok now your safe to go from one place where you are legal to posess these weapons to another place which you are allowed to posess the same weapons.
    KY doesn't have a blacklist of firearms the state does not trust it's citizens to own.
    NY does, including magazine bans over 7 rnds.
    So while FOPA covers interstate travel (or passing through), sleeping over in NY, NJ, CT., Ma., could ruine your life.
    Their are exceptions, like traveling to S&W in MA. to compete in an I.D.P.A. competition.
    then make sure you don't have any gun on their ****list, and magazines that comply with their laws. Same goes for N.Y. with the caveat that you have documentation of competition and the dates, and confirmation of your registering for the event.
    Going to NY State to stop other than for gas or food, or on Vacation or business and bringing any kind of gun I would advise against it. But I'm not a legal eagle.
    and if you plan on going anywhere inside NY city, forget it, worse than NY state, and not worth the risk.
    I traveled from CT to KY with firearms utilizing FOPA, and even then made the decision to not go the most direct route over the GW bridge through NY,NY, and went the long way, through NY State.

The Canadian side is better.

VIP Member
    If you take a gun in Canada you will be living there in provided housing for maybe 5 to 10 ...................... years that is . And i would never take a gun in NY , DC , ILL,MASS, NJ,MD. did i miss any.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I wouldnt carry a pop tart chewed into the shape of a pistol into NY.

Take her to Cumberland Falls in Ky and see if you can see the moonbow. Its safer saner and your likely to not get charged with a felony here.
    Poseidon likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

You cannot carry into NY if that is your destination. You can carry through states that you do not have a license for if they are not your destination and you have the gun locked up and you do have a license for the state that is your destination. You also have to be on a direct route through the states that you do not have license for.
    I live in VT 15 miles from the border and often tow cars.into NY. I can carry in VT without any license, but cannot carry into NY. The only people that get a license for NY are.those that are a resident there, or they own a business based there. I was hoping to get a license because I operate my business there, but have been assured that will not happen.
    You can come to VT. We don't issue a license to anyone. We just allow anyone to carry.
    Drgnfly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by towman View Post
    You cannot carry into NY if that is your destination. You can carry through states that you do not have a license for if they are not your destination and you have the gun locked up and you do have a license for the state that is your destination. You also have to be on a direct route through the states that you do not have license for.
    I live in VT 15 miles from the border and often tow cars.into NY. I can carry in VT without any license, but cannot carry into NY. The only people that get a license for NY are.those that are a resident there, or they own a business based there. I was hoping to get a license because I operate my business there, but have been assured that will not happen.
    You can come to VT. We don't issue a license to anyone. We just allow anyone to carry.
    This. You can travel through, but don't be stopping here in good ol NY lol. Might be trouble if anything happens that you are stopped.

You should not bring a gun through New York. You cannot stay in New York even possessing a gun. You may not have more than 7 rounds in a magazine. You may not have a magazine over 10 rounds. Unless you are a cop do not bring your gun. If you really want a gun, go see Mount Rushmore. South Dakota is more friendly.

I have no desire to be anywhere near Mayor Looneytunes, I mean Mayor Bloomberg.

Look up a gunshop in Pennsylvania near the border. Stop there before you cross into NY and drop off your firearm for "a cleaning" which will probably cost you about twenty bucks. On your way home, stop and pick it up. It is perfectly legal, your gun will be safely stored, and you won't risk either going unarmed or going to the gulag for carrying in NY. All you have to do is plan your travel time around business hours.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Look up a gunshop in Pennsylvania near the border. Stop there before you cross into NY and drop off your firearm for "a cleaning" which will probably cost you about twenty bucks. On your way home, stop and pick it up. It is perfectly legal, your gun will be safely stored, and you won't risk either going unarmed or going to the gulag for carrying in NY. All you have to do is plan your travel time around business hours.
    wish i had thought of this... but anyway... made the trip without my gun... felt very naked.... but i back home in kentucky-land of the free... good to be home...:-)

Links