These folks got the right idea!!! Kudos!!!

This is a discussion on These folks got the right idea!!! Kudos!!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nucla becomes Colorado's first and only town mandating gun ownership - The Denver Post...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By mprp
  • 1 Post By bigmacque

Thread: These folks got the right idea!!! Kudos!!!

S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

They got it WRONG. The government should not mandate anything....guns or healthcare
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I think it's a good idea and attitude to have about guns being in every house, but not a good to make mandatory. For the people who don't want guns, fine, I don't give a rip. I just wish they had the same attitude toward the people who do want to own them.
    joker1 and southernwi like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Government involvement to this level is silly. Its as bad as the antis.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    They need to keep their grubby paws off my stuff and quit telling me what I have to buy or what I can't. It's none of their beeswax.

That said, I love the picture of the member of the City Council sitting in his living room cleaning his shotgun.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    It's a good idea, and I do like that it's received some press, but as many of you by now know I don't like the way the pseudo-"journalist" wrote the article. Again the loaded language just shows a bias that should never be present in a modern newspaper.

For instance:

"Valarie Naslund, who owns the liquor store next door, has one under the counter and "a lady .357" she carries. Neither prevented thieves from breaking into her store a couple of months ago and making off with $800 worth of booze while Naslund wasn't there."

So why even point out this crime? It's not gun related, not even a violent crime, and starting that sentence with "Neither prevented .... " just loads the newspaper barrel.

"The first Top Dog World Championship Prairie Dog Shoot attracted sport shooters who blew away nearly 3,000 prairie dogs."

"Blew away" ... yep, nothing loaded about that wording at all.

The media just really ticks me off most of the time.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't agree with mandating people to buy anything, even a firearm, but this is obviously a tongue-in-cheek ordinance that won't be enforced. It is a protest law.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They got it WRONG. The government should not mandate anything....guns or healthcare
    Should have been more clear. I was referring towards the citizens attitudes. I live in a big city. I envy small town folk. Dooley noted you think they got it WRONG.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I don't agree with mandating people to buy anything, even a firearm, but this is obviously a tongue-in-cheek ordinance that won't be enforced. It is a protest law.
    Correct. Just a poke at the Colorado Governor and Legislators.

As you probably know GeorgiaDawg, Kennesaw GA has had a similar ordinance in place for decades and I doubt there is any difference in the number of people who own guns there, than anywhere else in the state.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Correct. Just a poke at the Colorado Governor and Legislators.

As you probably know GeorgiaDawg, Kennesaw GA has had a similar ordinance in place for decades and I doubt there is any difference in the number of people who own guns there, than anywhere else in the state.
    My grandparents live in Kennesaw, actually, and I'm pretty sure all of their guns are stored at my uncle's house, since my grandmother is terrified of them (a family member of hers accidentally shot and killed his wife many years ago because he forgot that his rifle was loaded). So yeah, they really don't enforce it there.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Here are Kennessaw, GA statutes. As one poster mentioned, they are not as stringent as they once were. There have been many different opinions of this govenment mandated firearm ownership. There must be something to it as Kennesaw's crime rates are virtually zip as compared to other areas with the same population/demographics.

Sec. 34-21. - Heads of households to maintain firearms.

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

I do not necessarily agree with it. But, is there any difference in this and the old "Selective Service" system as there are exemptions to both. Yes, the Selective Service was going on in peace time as the Kennesaw laws are. I know that The Draft is no longer in existence. You can pretty much figure when the mainland of this United States is directly threatened, on a large scale, by another country's military, then the draft will return. If reviving the draft becomes necessary, then so be it.

Nation, State, County, Parrish or City. Each are their on entities. If folks do not like what is going on in a particlar area then there are 3 things someone can do. Put up with it. Try to change it. Pack up and leave. That is what is so GREAT about the United States. FREEDOM, LIBERTIES, RIGHTS AND LICENSE.

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton disagreed on just about everything. George Washington assesed both Jefferson's and Hamilton's ideas and did what, he thought, was best for everyone.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.", pretty sure forcing people to have a firearm is an infringement on our rights also.

Links