Cross-country CDL with a gun?

This is a discussion on Cross-country CDL with a gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've landed an awesome new job that will require me to operate commercial vehicles across state lines. The company is offering CDL training, and my ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Bstd_02_wgn
  • 1 Post By RightyLefty
  • 1 Post By lionround
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Cross-country CDL with a gun?

Cross-country CDL with a gun?

I've landed an awesome new job that will require me to operate commercial vehicles across state lines. The company is offering CDL training, and my question to you is: is there any law prohibiting gun carry while in a commercial vehicle?

I have a hand full of non-resident permits so I can otherwise carry in nearly every state, and the company's weapon policy states "buildings and property"...leaving a kind of grey area when it comes to vehicles. I may or may not roll the dice on that grey area, but before I even think about that I'm looking for information to see if it's even legal for me to carry at all.

Any information is welcome, links proffered.

2. Remove Ads

It the truck is yours, as in not owned by the company whom you are driving for and you have all the proper documentation for each state you pass through then you are fine. On the other hand, if the truck is owner by said company then technically it is their property and you have to abide by their rules.

Congrats on the new job!
    marcclarke and stylus like this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If you really enjoy this new job, I wouldn't be carrying a weapon. It is their property so you would be violating company policy and most likely lose your job.
    stylus likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I was an OTR truck driver for 15 years and was NEVER allowed to carry by any of my employers.
    stylus likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

At this point I'm just trying to discover if it's even legal. If it's not legal then my employer's rules don't matter either way because if it's illegal then I won't do it.

Many employers turn a blind eye to the issue of a gun in a car or a commercial truck, but I need to know the law before I even try to feel out how this business handles it.

This has been discussed a few time before and there are no federal laws that specifically forbid persons with a CDL from driving while armed. That being said, you need to do a bit of home work. If the state that the company is in has statutes that say that no firearms signs or warnings (such as an employee handbook) carry the weight of law or that you have to obey the request of a property owner to not be armed on their property then yes, it's probably going to be illegal since the law would most likely deem the truck they own as their "property".

Maybe a bigger issue with a new employer would be the lack of personal integrity when found to be carrying a firearm after agreeing to the company policy.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This has been discussed a few time before and there are no federal laws that specifically forbid persons with a CDL from driving while armed. That being said, you need to do a bit of home work. If the state that the company is in has statutes that say that no firearms signs or warnings (such as an employee handbook) carry the weight of law or that you have to obey the request of a property owner to not be armed on their property then yes, it's probably going to be illegal since the law would most likely deem the truck they own as their "property".

Maybe a bigger issue with a new employer would be the lack of personal integrity when found to be carrying a firearm after agreeing to the company policy.
    I came here to gather information, not have my personal integrity questioned. I believe you agreed to the same forum rules I did and agreed to refrain from such behavior.

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions. It seems I have discovered all I am going to from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    I came here to gather information, not have my personal integrity questioned. I believe you agreed to the same forum rules I did and agreed to refrain from such behavior.

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions. It seems I have discovered all I am going to from this thread.

I don't believe I stated that your integrity was in question. I merely stated that it may be a concern of equal importance when deciding whether or not to go against a company's policy. Many times people don't think of the long term implications of being terminated for certain offenses against company policy. Those terminations can follow a person from job to job and cause you to not be eligible for certain positions.

If you read my post without reading in a personal attack that isn't there you will note I tried to give you a place to look to answer your questions.

Check the laws of the state you are in for the points I mentioned. That will address the legal aspect.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I don't believe I stated that your integrity was in question. I merely stated that it may be a concern of equal importance when deciding whether or not to go against a company's policy. Many times people don't think of the long term implications of being terminated for certain offenses against company policy. Those terminations can follow a person from job to job and cause you to not be eligible for certain positions.

If you read my post without reading in a personal attack that isn't there you will note I tried to give you a place to look to answer your questions.

Check the laws of the state you are in for the points I mentioned. That will address the legal aspect.
    I would like to reiterate my up-most respect for my employer's rules and state law. It is not my intent to circumvent, ignore or otherwise disrespect any company policy or regulation. I am not trying to get away with something, I'm trying to learn if I can do something legitimately.

I will not travel with a firearm in a commercial vehicle until I have confirmation that I am not braking any law or company policy by doing so.

This thread was intended to look at Federal law. As a total real person of course I am also concerned with state law and company policy, but I have no questions about those at this time. My employer's policy on weapons isn't relevant to this thread no mater what that policy is because I already know what that policy says. I admit it's frustrating when people focus in on company policy when that's not what I'm trying to learn from this community.

I have the employee handbook right here, I have noted the page the policy is on; what I would like is to find any relevant federal law so that I can print it out and likewise have a physical copy with me. These pages go in a small section of a personal business binder in which I also keep the Reciprocity Agreements written by each state's Attorney General between each state for which I have a gun permit and each state I would like to carry in. I started maintaining these documents when I started carrying regularly in other states. The only recent change is now I will occasionally be operating a commercial vehicle; and it won't be a company owned vehicle every time, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstd_02_wgn View Post
    It the truck is yours, as in not owned by the company whom you are driving for and you have all the proper documentation for each state you pass through then you are fine. On the other hand, if the truck is owner by said company then technically it is their property and you have to abide by their rules.

Congrats on the new job!
    Thank you!

It looks like it will be the best job I've ever had. I have no intention of blowing it by carrying a gun when I'm not supposed to. My intent is to tread lightly and discover as much information as I can so that I don't blow it.

VIP Member
    I carried interstate when I was an owner-operator, which was perfectly legal. Since I booked my own loads, it was easy to stay out of the may-issue states/DC/Illinois.
    stylus likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Links