Going unarmed to Chicago

This is a discussion on Going unarmed to Chicago within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have in-laws in Chicago. I have to go, family obligation. I'm still considered taking a glock in pieces and locking each piece in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Going unarmed to Chicago

Going unarmed to Chicago

I have in-laws in Chicago. I have to go, family obligation.

I'm still considered taking a glock in pieces and locking each piece in a seperate container or lock. Risk still feels high if I run into a traffic stop. I could be headed toward more trouble than I want.

It is not the state of IL, as IL state law makes some workable allowances for a traveling as an out of state resident. Would not be able to cc, but at least would not limit my ability to cc / have a firearm once I get out of the jurisdiction. Because of the destination has various ownership laws contrary to 2a (Chicago and burbs) I will not be able to be armed for the rest of the drive.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Good luck and safe travels. Did I also wish you good luck?
    GhostMaker likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    If it were me, I'd just leave the gun at home.

I've driven across the US in moves four times, and I go to Chicago every spring for a work event. Chances are you will be fine.*

* If you end up in a situation where you need a gun and you listened to me and left your gun at home, I apologize in advance.
    southernwi likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    If it were me, I'd just leave the gun at home.

I've driven across the US in moves four times, and I go to Chicago every spring for a work event. Chances are you will be fine.*

* If you end up in a situation where you need a gun and you listened to me and left your gun at home, I apologize in advance.
    If that happens, an apology in advance is the only kind likely to be heard.

Since Chicago itself is by far the most likely place you'd need the gun, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'd suggest using whatever means of self-defense are legal and most effective. Pepper spray, taser, whatever they won't arrest you for (not sure if those are legal or not).
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    I go to Chicago all the time...Cubs' games, Blackhawks' parades, Shedd Aquarium, all the museums, pizza, etc...it's a dangerous city, but one I feel completely safe in even though I never take my CC there. IMHO it's the greatest city in America with dumbest gun laws on the books. As mentioned above, I take all the other stuff, EDC knife, tactical pen, etc. Now there is also a difference if you are going to downtown Chicago, south side of Chicago or the suburbs of Chicago. I'm usually with groups of people, my wife and kids included, and still never feel un-safe. Have fun, be aware, care for your family, and be aware...did I mention be aware of your surroundings?
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Hope I never have to go to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Sometimes, you are on your own. This would be one of those times.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I plan to never enter Illinois again. Definitely nothing I need in Chicago. I wish you luck. My wife and kids took a trip there about a month ago. The wife HATED it!!

Nix
    Chicago is a cool city. I go unarmed. Maintain your situational awareness and mitigate risk the best you can. Otherwise, enjoy one of the world's great cities.

When I trucked I went to Chicago all the time. Ive slept in the truck in some of the worst parts of that city. Chicago is strange in that you could be parked at 3 am trying catch a few winks in the bunk and hear gunfire a block down the street but the block I would be on would peaceful.

Had some weird approaches to the truck in that city and the Rotty that rode with me ripped one guys arm to shreds when he tried to get in the truck but other than that not much. That said Id never go back again unless I was armed. Of course I dont go anywhere that I cannot be armed and havent for years.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Chicago nice place not to go. but you have to do what you have to do!! now let your eyes/ears/ and nose help, be aware of your surroundings, gut feelings and you should be fine. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    When I trucked I went to Chicago all the time. Ive slept in the truck in some of the worst parts of that city. Chicago is strange in that you could be parked at 3 am trying catch a few winks in the bunk and hear gunfire a block down the street but the block I would be on would peaceful.

Had some weird approaches to the truck in that city and the Rotty that rode with me ripped one guys arm to shreds when he tried to get in the truck but other than that not much. That said Id never go back again unless I was armed. Of course I dont go anywhere that I cannot be armed and havent for years.
    A good dog can be an excellent substitute for a gun in a pinch.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I have in-laws in Chicago. I have to go, family obligation.

I'm still considered taking a glock in pieces and locking each piece in a seperate container or lock.
    Hard to say whether the tradeoffs feel right, for you and your situation.

Myself, if nearby in a neighboring state and just driving across the border to Chicago, I'd leave the gun at the border (ie, for a cleaning at a shop) or at home. But I'd absolutely, positively go armed in another manner. I'd look into knives, sprays, canes, kubotan and the like ... any or all of these, or other tools.
    welder516 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Contrary to popular opinion Chicago, at least most of it, is not a shoot 'em up kind of place. My wife and I visit downtown Chicago on a fairly regular basis. The most disgusting thing about the city is the traffic. Keep in mind, most violence is crime on crime, bad guys hitting on other bad guys. You know the area you'll be staying in, be honest with yourself...how safe is it? When I travel through Illinois, I always keep my gun locked in a steel case with the ammo lock in another, but I never take it to Chicago. good luck

RKM
    Tough call. I do what I can to avoid gun-free areas and states. But if it's unavoidable, you must do what you have to do. I wouldn't risk taking the gun at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links