Traveling to MCAS Beaufort, SC. Locals advice needed.

This is a discussion on Traveling to MCAS Beaufort, SC. Locals advice needed. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm traveling from Virginia to Beaufort, SC to visit family stationed there. I have already researched the handgun carry laws for NC and SC. My ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By hcrum87hc

Thread: Traveling to MCAS Beaufort, SC. Locals advice needed.

Traveling to MCAS Beaufort, SC. Locals advice needed.

I'm traveling from Virginia to Beaufort, SC to visit family stationed there. I have already researched the handgun carry laws for NC and SC. My concern is the off base housing where I will be visiting. I know I can't carry on base. What about off base military housing? It sucks to think that I may not be able to carry on this trip just because I'm visiting off base housing.

Are there any locals on the forum that can advise me on carrying in off base military housing?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Federal property is Federal property, whether on the base proper or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Federal property is Federal property, whether on the base proper or not.
    True. I'm hoping that someone will chime in with an idea on where I can lock up my gun off base. It sucks to think that only the law abiding will be disarmed on my trip.

VIP Member
    You can Google Beufort, SC gun stores, call one and ask if you can drop it off for a cleaning (or simply storage). But be aware the NSA will be monitoring you.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You can Google Beufort, SC gun stores, call one and ask if you can drop it off for a cleaning (or simply storage). But be aware the NSA will be monitoring you.
    Thanks. I called the only gun store in the area and they offered to lock it up for me... but they're closed on the weekends which is when I will be traveling. I guess I will be disarmed on this trip.

VIP Member
    That's gotta hurt.
    Sister likes this.

Call the Beaufort County Sheriffs department, last I knew they were mostly Marines and a cool bunch of guys. You may be allowed to leave it with them..OR have a military member who lives off base, not on base housing keep it at their place. Last resort have military member your visiting check it into the base armory as a personal weapon. Don't break etiquette repay them with the customary case or two of beer...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

You could try having your family member register your gun with the base provost. If the gun is registered to that family then your relatives would be good to go with storing it at their house. Since your relatives live on base housing they are allowed to keep guns registered with the base in their house instead of storing them in the base armory.

Also the provost might have a special exception for family members visiting with guns. For example if a base is in a good area for hunting they may get a lot of relatives visiting to go hunting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for all of your replies. I called base security and was told that since I was arriving and departing during the weekend, they weren't going to be able to lock it up for me. The only gun shop in the area was willing to lock it up for me but they are closed over the weekend. I left my gun at home and made the trip without.

I live in Beaufort. Don't have any ties to the base, although I work across the street from it. If I'd have seen the thread sooner I would have offered to hold onto it for you. What gun store did you call? Palmetto State Armory is my go to store between Beaufort and Bluffton. They're open on Saturdays and Sundays.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

Links