Grad School

Grad School

This is a discussion on Grad School within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, so my son will be attending Optometry School in Philly. He is moving in with two other Opt. students in a 6th floor apartment ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Grad School

Grad School

OK, so my son will be attending Optometry School in Philly. He is moving in with two other Opt. students in a 6th floor apartment near the school. Philly was his first choice of schools because they honor his NH CCW. He always carries his KelTech P3AT but we have been talking about him having a second firearm. He definitely has his choice of rifles & shotguns but the limiting factor is space. He only has a 10 x 11 room. He could take a short ( 16") barreled shotgun or his Mini 14 but I am thinking that due to space that his Ruger MKIII 22 Lr might just be the ticket. You have a very compact firearm that with 1000 rounds of ammo will fit in a shoe box ( with cleaning kit ). The MKIII can put a lot of lead down range very quickly and the accuracy with that thing goes out easily to 100 yards. It also is hidden very easily. I guess that I am thinking that if he had to bug out that the MKIII might be just the tool. What would you hook your son up with in this situation? FAL, AK, SKS, Mini 14, Shotgun, Bolt gun ?

How about a larger defensive sidearm? Something, say, in 9mm on the order of a Glock 19, CZ 75 series, or similar. With space a factor, as well as storage/security (given roommates), a second/larger sidearm and ammo with a suitable smaller safe might be the best options. A decent AMSEC or similar safe could provide for effective storage of valuables, a small number of handguns, ammo, spare mags, could be bolted to the floor/walls.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If this were my son, I would tell him to work hard, so he can go out and buy himself a Glock 19.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I would also go with a larger firearm...perhaps the Glock-26. Easy to conceal, and easy to hide in a 10' x 10' room.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yeh, he has a Glock 21. That would also be a good choice. I offered him a Mosin 91/30 but with the bayonet on it wont fit in the room :)

VIP Member
    A couple of thoughts. About 3 years back a senior law student at Temple U was attacked in Center City near or on Market ST.
    He had to use his gun for SD. He was arrested, and prosecuted. There was a trial, he was acquitted. He lost 2 years of his life and of course suffered some time in jail pre-trial and lots of expense, not unlike the TM-GZ deal in FL except all involved were white and college educated.

So, the first message is to maybe stop worrying about what kind of gun to get, except for extreme concealment given
    that Phila is not really a gun friendly place, and talk to him about avoiding trouble and not letting it find him.

He is going to Optometry School so I'm sure he is smart. Make sure he is wise. Wise about where he walks, when he walks, what hours he rides on public transport, where he lives and how safe the trip to school is.

I don't know where the Optometry School is. Temple? U Pa? Drexel? Thomas Jefferson U.? Other? Which part of
    the city basically. I could maybe help you out, with more info if you want to send a PM or continue here. My adult son and
    his wife live and work in Center City and at U Pa so if I don't know the answer I can ask.

Bottom line, with big cities -- any big city--- and any urban environment, your protection comes from being street
    smart, not from carrying. Using the carry weapon is the last desperate move after you have messed up by not
    knowing the city. In big cities you can often be perfectly safe on one street and not safe on one street over. Your son
    needs to learn the city.

Phila is a rough place with some charms to offset its interesting character. Your son being from NH, has likely not experienced
    the sort of city life he is about to embark upon. He needs to learn, and learn in a safe way.

Good luck.

Added a few moments later. Just looked at the map. Ugh.
    ccw9mm and Chaplain Scott like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsored Links