And now, back to home defense...

This is a discussion on And now, back to home defense... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It has been shown (sorry, can't find the citation right now) that once your house is burgled, you are likely to be burgled again... It ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: And now, back to home defense...

And now, back to home defense...

It has been shown (sorry, can't find the citation right now) that once your house is burgled, you are likely to be burgled again... It has also been said of home invasions.
    This story seems to be proof of the "rule:" Three strikes, homeowner dead.

It seems logical to me that if your neighborhood is hit, your house might be next, but I have no proof of that... But it is something to consider and keep in mind. Fortify your home... And, if you know anyone in your neighborhood who is at risk, especially due to age or infirmity... help them fortify their homes.

This story seems to uphold my thought that neighborhoods might be targeted... but it could be a case of bad stuff always happens in the bad part of town... Story
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The "Pillowcase Burglars" hit 11 homes in one day in my town. My home was burglarized once--the fellow went to prison and then left the state.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wonder if there are any statistics about homes being invaded or burglarized a second time where the home owner used a firearm and shot the perpetrators? I would bet that a home where the "dirtbag" ended up taking a "dirtnap" would not appear to be a very lucrative target for other scumbags!
    Bark'n and tcox4freedom like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

[QUOTE=JDE101;2834758]I wonder if there are any statistics about homes being invaded or burglarized a second time where the home owner used a firearm and shot the perpetrators? I would bet that a home where the "dirtbag" ended up taking a "dirtnap" would not appear to be a very lucrative target for other scumbags![/QUI

You sir are correct

I met with the security company today...kicking it up a notch with more technology I'm slowly becoming a techno-nerd.
    Bark'n, Oldpsufan and Sontag like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I believe that sort of bad stuff, can and does happen anywhere anytime nowdays and we all have to be alert to the fact it can!! Be ready.!

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    My dog hasn't made a late night spectacle since we've mostly grown up or kicked out the neighborhood miscreants. I'm patiently awaiting the next wave.

This neighborhood gets cased on a regular basis but I only have proof when the snow is fresh.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

My parent's house was hit 5x and they never really got anything. Once my grandparents came home on them, once the alarm scared them off, once my sister scared them off...
    They seemed to stop coming after the last guy who fled on foot and lost his truck to impound. Either word got out that the cops had found our address, or the fact that my sister moved in with a DOG made them think twice. Dunno which, but said sis and pooch have bought their own house now, so we shall see if the bad guys take notice.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    My parent's house was hit 5x and they never really got anything. Once my grandparents came home on them, once the alarm scared them off, once my sister scared them off...
    They seemed to stop coming after the last guy who fled on foot and lost his truck to impound. Either word got out that the cops had found our address, or the fact that my sister moved in with a DOG made them think twice. Dunno which, but said sis and pooch have bought their own house now, so we shall see if the bad guys take notice.
    When we lived in the city we had 2 Dobermans, (not at the same time), the folks in the neighborhood were scared of them and the word spread, "they have a Doberman. They were the sweetest dogs you could ever have but we did not tell the neighbors that..

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    We've been experimenting with having a remote PC connection, with Skype open on one of the laptops. It's kinda creepy looking in your room from across the courtyard (in my other house). We laugh and talk about 'what if we see a ghost...woooooOOO'.
    Attached Images
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I met with the security company today...kicking it up a notch with more technology I'm slowly becoming a techno-nerd.
    I'm going the other way... fortification... Alarms seem to me to only be good for when you're away... or when you're asleep. The dogs are sufficient alarm when I'm there, asleep or awake... A monitored alarm only gets the police there in time to draw chalk outlines... or to see where the robbery took place.

In fact, the executive director of the Security Industry Alarm Coalition said in an interview that response time to an alarm is longer by about 2 minutes because of the time for the alarm to be "registered" off site. Most alarms, you have to disarm AFTER you've gotten in... so there's a pause built into their transmission. In addition, police are reluctant to answer a "third party" alarm (as opposed to a 911 call from a victim, say) because of the numerous false alarms... And, some police departments are charging after the first few alarms for false hits...

So I have gone the route of fortification... and a strong motivator was the video of the home invasion in Milburn, NJ. I'm in the process of analyzing the full (available) tape... (not the one shown in the newscast, but another, longer version. One that still has about 50 seconds removed).

And, even with the removed parts... from start (kicking in the back door) to end (moseying out the front door),the BG was in the house for less than 3 minutes. The assault began within 3 seconds of forced entry. Barely enough time to get an on-body weapon drawn and deployed, let alone getting to a weapon and deploying it if you are not armed in the house at all times. Chances are, even with excellent response times, the police won't be there within the three minutes. And in the Milburn case, with the victim being thrown down the stairs, they are lucky the nanny cam did not record a murder. But of course, in the newscast of the invasion, the news team diligently showed that the home owners were installing a new alarm system.

This is my reasoning for going with fortification... YMMV as it is only my opinion.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm going the other way... fortification... Alarms seem to me to only be good for when you're away... or when you're asleep. The dogs are sufficient alarm when I'm there, asleep or awake... A monitored alarm only gets the police there in time to draw chalk outlines... or to see where the robbery took place.

[snip]

This is my reasoning for going with fortification... YMMV as it is only my opinion.
    Totally agree with you. An alarm is basically a post-mortem - by the time the police arrive, it's already too late. I have fortified my door jambs and also installed security storm doors on each exterior entrance. I've got thick wooden dowels installed in the tracks of my horizontally sliding windows, and auxiliary locks on the vertical sliding windows. These auxiliary locks are spaced so that the windows can be opened about two inches - just far enough to trigger my alarm.

Can you share where to find the full video of the Millburn home invasion? I've been looking for that myself.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    When we lived in the city we had 2 Dobermans, (not at the same time), the folks in the neighborhood were scared of them and the word spread, "they have a Doberman. They were the sweetest dogs you could ever have but we did not tell the neighbors that..
    _RDC0961.jpg

Here's our baby a couple of years ago, RIP. She was a sweetheart and 80 pounds of lapdog. She was very intimidating when she wanted to be. The customers at my DW's retail store loved her to tears.

She was our Early Warning System and was usually enough to keep most folks a wee bit "on edge". She and her "Little Sis" cornered a contractor in a closet once. He deserved it. He wouldn't quit talking.

_RDC0917-1.jpg

This girl is over 11 now, and her muzzle is all silver. She's by my side. We have each others backs.

Multiple burglaries make sense. Come back the second time to get all of the new stuff they got to replace the old stolen stuff.
    Bark'n and locotest like this.

I have stakes at measured intervals with different colored streamers coming up my driveway.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    Totally agree with you. An alarm is basically a post-mortem - by the time the police arrive, it's already too late. I have fortified my door jambs and also installed security storm doors on each exterior entrance. I've got thick wooden dowels installed in the tracks of my horizontally sliding windows, and auxiliary locks on the vertical sliding windows. These auxiliary locks are spaced so that the windows can be opened about two inches - just far enough to trigger my alarm.

Can you share where to find the full video of the Millburn home invasion? I've been looking for that myself.

This link has the most complete video without the talking heads There are still ~10 second cuts at various intervals... (probably when perp was off screen/upstairs/etc.) Based on the time in the lower right of the screen, he was in the house 2 minutes 48 seconds.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links