Life keeps getting better!

This is a discussion on Life keeps getting better! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nearly every thread here has someone claiming "crime/violence is getting worse and worse..." So I just wanted to point out.... Actually, it's not. Crime is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Life keeps getting better!

Life keeps getting better!

Nearly every thread here has someone claiming "crime/violence is getting worse and worse..."

So I just wanted to point out....

Actually, it's not. Crime is getting better and better in the US. It's at an all time low. We live in a golden age. We should all appreciate every moment of it.

Live in awareness and vigilance, but not in fear.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Nearly every thread here has someone claiming "crime/violence is getting worse and worse..."

So I just wanted to point out....

Actually, it's not. Crime is getting better and better in the US. It's at an all time low. We live in a golden age. We should all appreciate every moment of it.

Live in awareness and vigilance, but not in fear.
    A good point to make. Of course, some localities are actually getting worse while others get better, so it doesn't surprise me that some folks say it's getting worse - for them, it actually is. But it's good to know we're not on an unstoppable ride to destruction, at least if we can avoid destroying our economy.
    DefConGun and ccw9mm like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

That's a pretty big IF Maxwell...just sayin'
    Sister and maxwell97 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Move to Detroit and check back in a few weeks...

And make no mistake. With all the attacks made on Americas ethical standards and morals. I'd say we surly haven't seen the worst of it by any measure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sweeping generalizations suck; as do blanket statistics, I live in Memphis crime is in fact on the rise here Google it; lets just make a pact to disagree and agree to not become a statistic

Averages are just that. Of average utility to individuals. Interesting information, but perhaps not useful as a guide to any one person.

Criminals come, and criminals go. When they're coming and active, "averages" can seem a world away, and equally irrelevant.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well overall I'd imagine that there's a sizable number of people afraid to peek out the door who are in fact living in places where they could run to the all night market at 2:00 A.M. in shorts and flip flops and leave their keys in their car with no danger of having anything bad at all happen. I think that may be where the OP is going with it.

In times of peace, prepare for war.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    I think that "less crime" is all in how the statistics are compiled. It may very well be that nationally our violent crime rate has dropped (as has been reported for years now).

However, I can't help but look at the unemployment statistics reported by the very same government that tracks crime statistics. They twist the data so as not to include many, many people that would drive the unemployment numbers far higher. So I have to ask myself, how are they twisting the crime data? What are they filtering out?

Also, as a second point, it seems that while there MAY be less crime it seems that the crimes that do happen are increasingly violent and lethal. It appears to me that the BGs tactics are evolving. Things like home invasions with 5 or 6 bad guys.

I understand that it's possible that I'm being duped by the media and extremely violent criminals are just getting more air time, but I don't think so. It's possible, but not probable.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

There's still plenty of bad stuff happening to good people. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you say less people die from crime today is it because crime is less or because medical treatment has gotten better??
    Rock and Glock likes this.

In some places, crime is not reported so as to have lower stats...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Crime is getting better and better in the U.S.."

That's why I carry.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I believe the crime rate is going down because of the CHL laws and SYG laws in place.

Rob, rape or hold up some one and a very good chance you will will be DOA!!!!!!!
    ep1953 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Cities, counties, states, etc. have lots of incentives to under report crime. Cities/states with low crime rates attracted more businesses, people and tourist. And those things equal more tax dollars which means the politicians have more money to give themselves raises, create social programs to help them get re-elected and build parks and schools that they can name after themselves. And crime statistics become pretty meaningless to people after they become a crime victim.
    Ghost1958, blitzburgh and ccw9mm like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links