Doggie doors, no deadbolts, glass doors...

This is a discussion on Doggie doors, no deadbolts, glass doors... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "this can happen to anybody." Home invasion victim speaks out... Story here How many people do you know have no basic deterrence built into their ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By txron
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun

Thread: Doggie doors, no deadbolts, glass doors...

Doggie doors, no deadbolts, glass doors...

"this can happen to anybody."

Home invasion victim speaks out...

Story here

How many people do you know have no basic deterrence built into their homes to stop burglars...

No deadbolts? Chain locks on doors? glass doors? C'mon, this woman was inviting attack...

upscale neighborhood... Criminal left on foot...

Give me a break!

Sigh.

This can happen to anybody... it will happen to those who believe it will happen to anyone else but them.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

We got a couple beagles a few weeks ago and my wife asked about putting in a doggie door. I said absolutely not and she didn't understand why. Here's exhibit #1.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Sorry about this lady's experience. Decades ago I lived in Phoenix the story that made the rounds then was.... A woman had the habit of coming home from work exercising in front of the TV then showering and coming back to the TV in her robe to relax for the evening. A cretin had observed this routine and formulated a plan. One day when she went to shower he surreptitiously entered the house removed his clothes and hid behind the couch. When she returned he jumped her. She beat him like she had nothing better to do. He grabbed his clothes and fled but when he felt safe he found he had left his pants containing his wallet behind. True to form he called Phx PD and reported "stolen trousers". This case was solved.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    We got a couple beagles a few weeks ago and my wife asked about putting in a doggie door. I said absolutely not and she didn't understand why. Here's exhibit #1.
    Anybody coming through our doggie door is going to meet a yappie chihuahua backed up by a pit bull and that's before I get there with a 12 gauge.

haha anyone trying to come in the doggie door will be met with about 200 lbs of "not friendly to strangers" dogs

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Anybody coming through our doggie door is going to meet a yappie chihuahua backed up by a pit bull and that's before I get there with a 12 gauge.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottjr View Post
    haha anyone trying to come in the doggie door will be met with about 200 lbs of "not friendly to strangers" dogs
    Yeah, our beagles aren't exactly ferocious so I don't consider them a line of defense. lol
    beagles.jpg
    Phaedrus likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

“I want people to know this can happen anywhere and to anyone,” Dawson said.

She never expected it to happen to her. More than valuables, she’s lost her sense of security in her own home.

This is it in a nutshell. People think it won't happen to them. Always to "someone else". I hear this a lot in suburban and rural neighborhoods.

My wife thinks this way.
    DJC7 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Authorized users of the doggie door that only goes into the garage. All other doors are steel with deadbolts, built into steel door frames.

muttjeff3.jpg

80 pounds on the left, and 95 pounds on the right. Feel lucky?
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Dawson said ... She believes he entered through the doggie door because all other doors in the house were locked.
    She doesn't know. In fact, we each end up with a locked door when we exit our homes. Robbers can leave the door in the same condition. Unclear whether he came in through the "doggie" door, or simply jimmied the lock on another "regular" door. Bummer, that the doggie door was large enough to allow a full-sized adult male to enter that way, if indeed that was the case.

She never expected it to happen to her.

“I want people to know this can happen anywhere and to anyone,” Dawson said.
    The greatest failure in the whole situation; and the greatest revelation. Kudos to her, at least, for that. Better late than never.

“I hope I end up getting back my life,” Dawson said. “I don’t want to be the one who has to live in fear. Right now, that’s where I am at.”
    She's got her life. The only real loss: her illusions. And if she intelligently addresses those with actual, practical remedies, she won't be relegated to having to live in fear. Instead, she'll live in a state of prepared awareness, more capable of effectively defending her own life. Better than having zero ability in that area. Perhaps she'll get it, now. Perhaps others will, too.

Live and learn.

Good example and lessons for everyone.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Doggie doors have their good points and their bad. A couple of years ago in nearby Mesa, a guy was running from the cops and he attempted to enter a home he thought was unoccupied through the doggie door. The homeowner was indeed home and shot the guy - dead - while he was in the doggie door. Cops didn't have a problem with it and no charges were filed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The woman is lucky she wasn't hurt worse, or killed. It's easy to bag on her "Condition White" mentality but kudos to her for telling her story. The takeaway really doesn't have anything to do with guns but with general preparedness and security. How many people have several $1000 guns and several $5 locks?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You may get in but you won't get out...

Lisl von Schlaf:

gasmitty likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Links