What Does a Real Home Invasion Look Like?

This is a discussion on What Does a Real Home Invasion Look Like? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been trying to gauge my preparedness to respond to a home invasion, and I am struggling to get an idea of how much ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: What Does a Real Home Invasion Look Like?

What Does a Real Home Invasion Look Like?

I have been trying to gauge my preparedness to respond to a home invasion, and I am struggling to get an idea of how much time I may have to react.

Things I have been considering:

What are they after (money, electronics, jewelry).

Where are they likely to go first (stay downstairs for a minute or two, or go straight upstairs)?

What pace will they use (will they sprint, be slow and methodical, or anywhere in between)?

Does anyone know statistically or anecdotally what the general trend is in home invasions concerning my questions?

I realize that each case is different and that just because it happens 99/100 times one way doesn't mean that it will always happen that way.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I had someone try to force their way into my home earlier this summer. None of the questions you posed were of any concern to me as it went down. Know that you probably will have very little time to react, and only the most basic of facts will be apparent, or useful to you.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member
    Next door neighbors told me last night we have had some things stolen around the hood. Gas can with gas was missing from their home inside the garage yesterday. I forgot what other stuff had been taken from other neighbors. My dog never barks (hunting dog, was taught not too) but last night she was freaking out, lots of growls and barks looking at the front door. Gun is staying within arms length.

So to answer what are they looking for? Around here gas. If they come in looking for bullets I can help them out
    Poorly, Oldpsufan and chriscw81 like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Based on the news stories I have read, a home invasion is distinguished from a burglary by the fact that the residents of the home are the initial target. This means that they're coming after YOU, and will get to you as quickly as possible; they'll then threaten, beat, etc until you tell them where anything of value may be. I would assume that I would have very little time to react to a home invasion. That's why I carry wherever I go in the house.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    A very interesting question.

There are so many scenarios depending on who you may be dealing with...

Is it just a Meth head who has been up for a week and is desperate to steal anything that will fund their addiction?

Could it be your unlucky day and a serial killer has chosen your house? He will most likely just want to kill and will likely try to move as slow and methodical as possible.

Or maybe it's an experienced two man team that's wearing body armor and will use fast paced shock and awe and SWAT type tactics. They will most always look to round up everyone before they loot or decide what to do.

Your time to react will depend upon your ability to comprehend the warning signs. Maybe you should install an alarm system or get a dog. Maybe you should call a Locksmith and get opinions on reinforcing your entry points. That extra sturdy door etc may be just enough to allow you to get situated how you see fit or possibly stop the attack before it really begins.

Are you the type of person who will start searching or do you prefer barricading and staying put.

This is why i've come to prefer the AR platform for HD. Because you never really know.. But it's hard to go wrong with 30 rifle rounds of low recoil, barrier and armor defeating death.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Based on the news stories I have read, a home invasion is distinguished from a burglary by the fact that the residents of the home are the initial target. This means that they're coming after YOU, and will get to you as quickly as possible; they'll then threaten, beat, etc until you tell them where anything of value may be. I would assume that I would have very little time to react to a home invasion. That's why I carry wherever I go in the house.
    Just empirical evidence, but the HI's that I recall are recognition of HI by the victim by instantaneous overpowering or within seconds of being overpowered. You have to consider the worst-case scenario: you're probably in condition white and your outer defenses are already breached. You are the first target, and the perps plan for maximum surprise. Train for that.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Home invasion where the BG or Gs know you are there, most likely if your firearm is not on your or in arms reach you will never reach it before they reach you or yours. The best part and most effective part of any home defense plan you can dream up is to be armed in your home all the time. As in ON you. Sleeping loaded chambered and in arms reach.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Home invasion where the BG or Gs know you are there, most likely if your firearm is not on your or in arms reach you will never reach it before they reach you or yours. The best part and most effective part of any home defense plan you can dream up is to be armed in your home all the time. As in ON you. Sleeping loaded chambered and in arms reach.
    If one cannot respond with lethal force capability within the first couple seconds, one will likely be unable to do so at all.
    Tuco

What does a real home invasion look like?

That's easy, it will be exactly what you didn't think about or plan for.

The only thing you can do is plan to be flexible in your response. Moving is a good start to give you time to assess and react.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Around here Home Invasions started with the imigrant Asians and quickly spread. The Asians knew that buisness owning Asians did not trust banks and kept cash in their homes but would not give it up readily. So they would herd the whole family into one room and one by one torture and intimidate the women and children till the elders gave up the money. They would go so far as raping the young girls in front of the family to get what they came for. Other BG groups quickly learned that this tactic also worked with any one that kept large sums of cash or dope in there house. Its believed that its quicker and easier to get you to open safes or locate hidden valuables than it is to try and open or locate them for them selves. This is done using a swarm tactic where many BGs attack at once. the defence for this is to not keep valuables in your house, use layers of security around your house, harden your house to attack, and keep your defencive guns on you. most of us who dont keep cash or dope on hand have little to wory about tho. DR

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have been trying to gauge my preparedness to respond to a home invasion, and I am struggling to get an idea of how much time I may have to react.

Things I have been considering:

What are they after (money, electronics, jewelry).

Where are they likely to go first (stay downstairs for a minute or two, or go straight upstairs)?

What pace will they use (will they sprint, be slow and methodical, or anywhere in between)?

Does anyone know statistically or anecdotally what the general trend is in home invasions concerning my questions?

I realize that each case is different and that just because it happens 99/100 times one way doesn't mean that it will always happen that way.
    To answer your question ... just remember two words....."immediate" and "instanteous" ....... that's about it.

If the gun is not already in your hands, it may be too late. We are talking Home Invasions, and not burglaries that some like to call home invasions now... but they aren't , not in the typical sense at all anyway.
    tcox4freedom and Ghost1958 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, this gives me something to think about. My main concern is when everyone in my house is asleep. I have a small child that I would need to get to.

I have several plans/contingency plans in place, but would like to have some idea of which would be the most likely one that I would have to rely on.

Ideally, I would like to get everyone to a safe place and wait, but I just don't think I will have time for that.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Think about how -you- would HI your domicile. Think about ways to:
    1) give early warning;
    2) not be a target
    3) have a backup plan to your defense
    4) rather than harden your target make it noisy and time-consuming to get to where you are
    5) live in a gated community with a guard, however lame he's still screening people somewhat
    6) partner up
    7) have additional firepower you can fight your way to
    8) practice some scenarios like fire drills. Have someone time you. (for example you're in bed and someone bursts into the room - your primary loaded with snapcaps - and you have to access your firearm and get the front sight on them before they touch you.
    9) other things you can do is have doorways back lighted, have things in the hall way that slow people down, even toys and boxes (imagine HI a hoarder, lol)
    10) don't obsess. The key thing is to do due diligence, diminish obvious problems. Make the neighbor more interesting, lol.

HTH

To add: on #1, give a friend a key and see how long it takes you to gear up, get ready from the time they drive up to your house or enter your driveway (wherever you have the first sensors, motion sensor lights, motion alarms, cams. That's about the time you have to do anything defensive. Also, at night I would not have any weaponry sitting out in plain sight esp near the bed. Cover it with a towel or a shirt or something. I was looking at my garage the other day and I had tools hanging on the wall that would aid a breach of the inner door to the kitchen. (Doh). I moved them. Sometimes crooks are opportunistic.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I have a small child that I would need to get to.
    I think this is the wrong idea. I would make sure where the child is sleeping is somewhat hardened so you don't have to 'get to them', except to evacuate. Get some things you can screw into the wall that are bullet resistant, for example. Harden the sides of the crib or bed. Cover the window with the 3M sheeting. Make their room the 'safe room'. Have a spare phone in there, and if of age teach them to speed dial 911.

You want your tactical response not to have any 'side missions' that put you in jeopardy and that you will do risky things to accomplish. If the room is already safe, you can concentrate on defending, then get to that room as time permits.

HTH

VIP Member
    You and I are of a vastly different mindset:

Well, this gives me something to think about. My main concern is when everyone in my house is asleep. I have a small child that I would need to get to. To what end? One of my main goals in a home invasion is to draw the threat and lines of fire away from my loved ones. My wife knows what to do when it happens, as we have been over it. Gunfire is likely to erupt very quickly, so she is to lie on the floor on the wall side of the waterbed, behind cover and call 9-1-1.

I have several plans/contingency plans in place, but would like to have some idea of which would be the most likely one that I would have to rely on. For an intrusion, I have one contingency. Get armed and deal with the threat as quickly and as effectively as possible.

Ideally, I would like to get everyone to a safe place and wait, but I just don't think I will have time for that. If you haven't already worked all that out with them, you are already behind the eight ball if and when it ever does come down. Every one in your family has a role, if it is no more than to take cover and wait for the all clear.
    tcox4freedom and Ghost1958 like this.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links