Seeking advice on best brands for driveway and home monitoring equipment.

This is a discussion on Seeking advice on best brands for driveway and home monitoring equipment. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hoping someone can offer advice - not sure if I'm posting to right forum but sounds like you guys know defense! Seeking your advice/experience with ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By Old Sarge

Thread: Seeking advice on best brands for driveway and home monitoring equipment.

Seeking advice on best brands for driveway and home monitoring equipment.

Hoping someone can offer advice - not sure if I'm posting to right forum but sounds like you guys know defense!

Seeking your advice/experience with DRIVEWAY ALARMS and HOME SECURITY ALARMS. I've scoured the internet and have received so many conflicting reviews on a variety of brands. I'm not interested in ADT or other security systems and dealing with salesmen and contracts. I'm a do-it-yourselfer (and not afraid to ask/pay for help), internet and iPad/iPhone savvy so would like a system, perhaps that would integrate with my Mac and could incorporate 'add ons'.

My situation:
    My stone house sits in a two acre clearing smack in the middle of about 200 acre forest in the middle of the country. Public dirt road leads to my 1,000ft common driveway, shared with my neighbor at bottom of driveway adjacent to public road. My house cannot be seen from public road and it is difficult to see that the drive continues past my neighbor, straight up and steeply, to my house at top. So ... this is GREAT for the privacy I seek, DANGEROUS if someone wants to rob the property, or worse. Lived here 20 years without issue but now looking for SECURITY. Driveway alarms and home alarms.

Would like a system that can easily monitor all vehicle traffic up drive (no rubber hose due to snowplow in winter) Don't mind the chiming if system detects animals (plenty of deer in my area) because if someone wanted to park at bottom and WALK up the driveway (unlikely) then I'd like to detect intruders.

Two other buildings on property : office cottage and garage with attached storage shed and would like to monitor those as well. Stone house sits about 100 feet from the garage and cottage. Would like to be able to monitor home temperature, etc. as well.

I read up on the following brands, but willing to entertain any brand/idea. To start was looking at paying no more than $500 but will add on as needed --

* Skylink HA-434TL
    * Voice Alert System6
    * Optex Wireless 2000 - (RCTD20U)
    * Rodann Driveway Chime System (RT/TX2000)
    * Dakota Alert 2500 (DCR2500) + (DCMT-2500E PIR Wireless Transmiter)
    * Dakota Murs.system

Thanks to anyone who can guide me in the right direction! Next step - purchasing taser :-) I think :-)

2. Remove Ads

I had a good one from chamberlin garage door company. They give you these aaa sensors that shoot a beam 88 feet I had one on the driveway an a couple in the backyard they cause a little black box in your house to beep if anyone crosses the beam. The batteries last about a year. It was about 150.00 you can buy extra sensors for 39.00 it will work with 5 sensors. Has a 600 ft range from sensors to black box. Good luck
    shadowwalker and KimT like this.

A $15 driveway alarm from Harbor Freight works pretty well for us. I have it mounted about shoulder high up the driveway about 150 feet. The driveway makes a 90 degree turn and it's pointed up the driveway towards the county road.
    Granted, when the wind is blowing, on occasion a limb moving will set it off, and of course the deer crossing, set it off as well. But the main thing is when it does go off, we have been forwarned, and on the lookout. Very cheap but worthwhile.
    tdave likes this.

sounds like your going to incorperate a few different security systems, just going out and buying to your specs would be horrendeously expensive.. so i would look to "mcgyver"ing up. good luck.. let us know what ya come up with.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    A $15 driveway alarm from Harbor Freight works pretty well for us. I have it mounted about shoulder high up the driveway about 150 feet. The driveway makes a 90 degree turn and it's pointed up the driveway towards the county road.
    Granted, when the wind is blowing, on occasion a limb moving will set it off, and of course the deer crossing, set it off as well. But the main thing is when it does go off, we have been forwarned, and on the lookout. Very cheap but worthwhile.
    Sounds cool not to mention if the deer or more likely wild horses come on the property Mrs tdave and I would like to see them.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    A few well placed motion detectors that turn on security camera's which are tied into pc and mobile phone monitoring should do the trick for under 500....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have a cheap Skylink that I got for $34 at Amazon, and added a couple more sensors (4 in total) for a few more bucks. The sensors are programmable to any channel on the alarm receiver, and each sensor beeps in sequence with its channel at the receiver so you know exactly where it is being set off from. I mainly have driveway, front and side entry covered on channel #1, inside garage on channel # 2&3, and attached breezeway with front and back doors on Channel #4. Plus I have battery powered window alarms that are quite loud.

We don't pay much attention to channel #1, that's just an alert. If any of the others go off, it's show time.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Links