Bug out Bags

This is a discussion on Bug out Bags within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried to search here, but no luck. I’m not even sure this is the correct place? Every paycheck I add to my wife’s and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Bug out Bags

Bug out Bags

I tried to search here, but no luck. I’m not even sure this is the correct place?

Every paycheck I add to my wife’s and my bug out bag. My wife gets mad when I spend money on non essential things(everyday life, non bug out bags stuff), when do I give in? I am looking at getting an M40 gasmask for her, its $40 on my local classifieds. I know she will flip out if I buy it but it could save her life one day. When do I say “it’s for your survival, if you don’t want it, ok then"? I think a gasmask is lower on the list, but what about wet/cold weather gear for her, water filter, first aid kit?
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I got 3 Israel gas mask @ Amazon over a year ago for around $70. Iodine tabs can be bought there too, don't remember exactly but they were pretty cheap. Thing about the mask is that the filters are expensive and you will need x-tra. Man on phone told me they will last about 3 hours when you got them on. He also said they have a shelf life of around 20 years. I have no idea if this is true or not and would love someone that knows about the shelf life of the filters to chime in.

Portable water filters for drinking out of creeks and such can be bought from Bass Pro for $20.

Send the wife to some Alex Jones or Jesse Ventura youtube videos and that should take care of her not wanting anything. BTW, I'm not a fan of Alex Jones ~ IMO he is a bit nuts but does get about 1/3rd correct.

* Just for fun when it cools off you can freak your neighbors out by cutting your grass with the mask on, or just wear it and run down the street...drive around town , may get you on the news!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Moderator
    Here's what I have in mine, My Get Home Bag

I don't have a gas mask or iodine tablets
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Here's what I have in mine, My Get Home Bag

I don't have a gas mask or iodine tablets
    Why not? I know you are the go-to man for the bug out bag and your list is great. What about the "what'ifs"? You know, fallout gasses and such?

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Moderator
    To effectively use a gas mask you need to be trained, and you need to select the filter for what gases you are planning to be exposed too. You have to know that you are being exposed for it to be of use. Radiation and most nerve agents will give you no warning before hand.

I do have a good system that I use at work. BT Drill 015.jpg I'm the tall good looking one.

IMO the time and effort of prepping for a NBC event is better spent in stocking up on food and other training. If I am hunkered down in my shelter and all of the surrounding area is contaminated by radioactive debris then I am going to be exposed anyway.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    I do have a good system that I use at work. BT Drill 015.jpg I'm the tall good looking one.
    Your a bee-keeper?

WHEC724, OD* and Betty like this.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Moderator
    Actually I am a beekeeper but I have a different suit for that

beekeeping.jpg

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    Actually I am a beekeeper but I have a different suit for that

beekeeping.jpg
    Cool!

~ Jesus ~

To effectively use a gas mask you need to be trained, and you need to select the filter for what gases you are planning to be exposed too. You have to know that you are being exposed for it to be of use. Radiation and most nerve agents will give you no warning before hand.

IMO the time and effort of prepping for a NBC event is better spent in stocking up on food and other training. If I am hunkered down in my shelter and all of the surrounding area is contaminated by radioactive debris then I am going to be exposed anyway.
    I am trained, my unit is the FEMA Region VIII HRF decon. I have been in that god awful suit a few times.

photo (1).JPG
    I'm in the middle.

Im not asking what should I have, I'm asking when should I tell my wife "if you dont want to live that your choice". she is my wife so I have to look out/take care of her, but I dont want to fight if I want to buy a mess set for our bags.
    QKShooter likes this.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    pgrass101 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i am guilty of having a "bug out bag" full of "unnecessary things". no gas mask but i do have water filters and iodine tabs and of course clothing, food and first aid.

take her camping, most "bug out" gear is really just camping gear.
    Last edited by technomonster; August 13th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    NONAME762 and marcclarke like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    Most people buy a surplus gas mask and an expired vapor filter, put them in a closet and think they are protected. They don't even know how to fit check the mask or put it on correctly.

You are obviously trained and can train your wife, you can also pick good equipment and probably have a the knowledge to recognize the signs of an event, so my general response is not directed at you, because you are a rarity.

I cannot answer your question on how you convince your wife that a gas mask is a good choice for your money, and am not meaning to argue with you. I am just stating that for the majority of people who have no NBC training that a gas mask by itself is not going to help them much.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have yet to dabble in the BoB realm. In the event of a disaster, my job requires me to be there. Perhaps I need a Bug IN Bag???
    oldskeetshooter and OD* like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Most people buy a surplus gas mask and an expired vapor filter, put them in a closet and think they are protected. They don't even know how to fit check the mask or put it on correctly.

You are obviously trained and can train your wife, you can also pick good equipment and probably have a the knowledge to recognize the signs of an event, so my general response is not directed at you, because you are a rarity.

I cannot answer your question on how you convince your wife that a gas mask is a good choice for your money, and am not meaning to argue with you. I am just stating that for the majority of people who have no NBC training that a gas mask by itself is not going to help them much.
    I agree, I don’t really need to get her one. I can’t spend any money without her getting mad, $40 on a gasmask or $10 on some iodine tabs.

The gas mask isn’t so I can live in a "hot zone", but more so I can make it out. Most NBC will be absorbed through your skin anyways, it’s not to live on.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have yet to dabble in the BoB realm. In the event of a disaster, my job requires me to be there. Perhaps I need a Bug IN Bag???
    I'm with you buddy.. As far as bugout bags, my signature says it all. IMHO
    Sister, ctr and OD* like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links