Alternative to flimsy chain locks

This is a discussion on Alternative to flimsy chain locks within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I, like many other people, like the option of being able to actually see/speak to the person on the other side of the door, and ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By AsianCowgirl
  • 1 Post By AsianCowgirl
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By sigs
  • 2 Post By AsianCowgirl
  • 2 Post By AsianCowgirl
  • 1 Post By wsquared

Thread: Alternative to flimsy chain locks

I, like many other people, like the option of being able to actually see/speak to the person on the other side of the door, and perhaps pass them something (a phone or whatever). I believe in "whatever you do for the least of my brothers," so I'm probably going to at least try to assist someone who seems to be in need. Anyway, flimsy chain locks on doors don't really offer any security, and I'm 5'0"... not exactly enough meat on me that my foot on the door is going to stop someone. So we installed a front door that I think helps solve a lot of these problems. Thought I'd share it here. I'm proud of it. lol

It's solid mahogany with a speakeasy window. The window has a metal decorative grill over it... the holes are just wide enough for me to pass a phone or rolled up piece of paper through it. So I can look at and speak to someone through it, and pass a phone through it, and never have to unlock my door (which also has a thick bolt on the bottom that slides into the floor). Yeah, someone could shove the barrel of a gun through it and shoot me in the face, but I guess that's the risk I'll take for helping my fellow man. And even if they do, the door is still locked, so it gives someone else inside a chance to grab a weapon. ;)

I've included a pic of the door from the interior and the speakeasy window from the outside.

SpeakEasyDoor.jpgSpeakEasyWindow.jpg

Senior Moderator
    Can you post a picture of the front of the door, and were did you find it?

I like it, and might want to get something similar
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I'll try to get a pic of the front for you... right now I have a baby on my lap. lol

I had it made by a custom door maker locally. But if you google speakeasy doors, you can find some cool stuff.
    pgrass101 likes this.

...that door oughta stop a bullet pretty well, too...somebody's making some great steps toward being safe in troubled times!!!

I like it!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They actually sell one looks very much like pic at home depot special order around 1000 installed solid mahogny they dohave a display of it.
    Snub44 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sure beats my door , the glass door type
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Ya. nice beats mine also.

I have a thick, sturdy speak-easy door as well. But I would recommend making the phone call for the person instead of handing it to them. You might not see the phone again. Fully understand the desire to help. I try to follow my Christian faith but also try to do so without placing myself or my family at unnecessary risk.
    niks likes this.

Why on God's Green Earth, would you pass a phone to someone outside your door? That's ludicrous!!! If someone needs to call someone, and it's a true emergency, you can make the call yourself, from inside and the safety of your home.
    I have a smart phone, as do about 75% of folks now days. Never would I had the phone out the door to a total stranger. Gotta git your head on straight, unless you live in a perfect world, and there is no crime.

Ok, maybe I am missing something. Aside from being out the $20 cost of my cordless home phone, how is passing it to someone a risk? I don't have any numbers or information stored it in. I'd never pass out my cell phone.

I'd rather risk the $20 than stand at my door, distracted, relaying messages back amd forth between the person at my door and someone on the phone.

But if there's something I'm missing, I'd like to know.
    Snub44 and pgrass101 like this.

I guess I could see that 911 would have a harder time finding me if I called them on my cell because my house phone was compromised, but that srems like splitting hairs, since I am sure the cops wouldn't make it in time either way...
    Snub44 and pgrass101 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Nice! looks a bit like Dr. Nesseciter's from "the Man with Two Brains", but more solid.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Since you explained that you were passing the cordless house phone through the window, it makes perfect sense.
    It wouldn't do them any good without the base anyway.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by AsianCowgirl View Post
    Ok, maybe I am missing something. Aside from being out the $20 cost of my cordless home phone, how is passing it to someone a risk? I don't have any numbers or information stored it in. I'd never pass out my cell phone.

I'd rather risk the $20 than stand at my door, distracted, relaying messages back amd forth between the person at my door and someone on the phone.

But if there's something I'm missing, I'd like to know.
    I think that people assumed that you were passing your cell phone out the door.

I think it's a good looking door, I applaud the choice of solid wood and the extra bolt at the bottom, and I think that the speakeasy window is both esthetically pleasing and a good idea for when things "go bump in the night".
    Snub44 likes this.

Sponsored Links