GPS Tracking recommendation request

GPS Tracking recommendation request

This is a discussion on GPS Tracking recommendation request within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This question pertains to away from home, on the road, security. I was wondering if anybody has any experience and / or recommendations for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: GPS Tracking recommendation request

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Question GPS Tracking recommendation request

This question pertains to away from home, on the road, security. I was wondering if anybody has any experience and / or recommendations for a GPS tracker for your vehicle that would help you to locate it or determine where it has been? It goes without saying but used for lawful purposes only by the vehicle owner. Concealment is a must and either powered by the vehicle or a very long battery life would be a major bonus.

I have seen some ODB2 connected ones, but the ODB2 port is blatantly obvious and visible. Alternatively, an ODB extender / tap harness may work if anyone knows of one of those.

Rig up a cheep droid with a cheep pay as u go plan and install life 360 app or real time GPS tracker

As far as letting you know where its been a plain old garmin put in the trunk, hardwired for power, turned on and volume muted will log everywhere it goes but you couldnt real time track it. Only read it once the vehicle is back if Im following what your wanting to do here.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Active or passive tracker? Passive tends to be cheaper, stores the information for your retrieval and use later. AFAIK, the active tracker will require a monthly fee (uses cell phone tower) so you can see it's position "live".

Here you go, GPS Vehicle, Fleet, Car Tracking Systems, Fleet Management | LINXUP

They have one (maybe more) that can be hard-wired and gives the position of the vehicle with key on and key off. The live updates are at a pace that you choose (once a day, once an hour, etc, etc).
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

There are a range of fleet management solutions available. Some of them even provide updates on a minute-by-minute basis via satellite so that you still have data available when the vehicle is in an area with no cell phone service - but those models would be much harder to hide. You can also establish a variety of "conditional" alarms - you can get an SMS or email alert if the vehicle exceeds a certain speed, brakes hard, enters a certain area, leaves a certain area, sits idle for a certain amount of time...pretty much whatever you want.

Most of these devices require a purchase of the hardware, installation in the vehicle, and then a monthly or yearly fee for the tracking service. In most cases, the monthly/yearly fee is where the money is made.

mkh

With a smart phone like an iPhone that has built in GPS, a car charger hard wired in, and an app, you can query it remotely and also track it if you can do without the phone or have a spare.

It's also very easy to conceal in a car.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Not sure what you want to do, but SPOT may do the job. SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE . A lot of guys in my long distance motorcycle riding organisation use them and you can go online and see where they are with more data on a map. Useful for things like the Iron Butt rally, some pony express-like rides we do such as a fundraisers such as one for child brain cancer passing a package from rider to rider though 48 state capitals in 28 days. They are used by all kinds of outdoorsmen and have been useful for a few medical rescues.
    Ghost1958 and blitzburgh like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Arborigine pm sent.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

It is a bit of a unique scenario in that we've received several reports from credible sources that an employee's work vehicle has been spotted in locations that it shouldn't have been and we would like to have proof. The problem is that if he knows he is being tracked his behavior will just change until such time as he isn't being tracked. An ODB2 based device like the ones from Linxup would be great except for the fact that the damned ODB port is right by the drivers knees and clearly visible when you open the door. A battery powered, passive logger would work if it has enough battery life for the work week, but this carries larger risk of getting caught putting it on or off and then the jig is up too.

We've considered a phone app as he is issued a work phone, so we have every legal right to do so but have concerns about privacy issues as he takes the phone home with him.

All together, it seems to be a pretty tricky application.

Hire a private investigator. Spying is best left to the pros. ;)
    brocktice and 1911srule like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

It is a bit of a unique scenario in that we've received several reports from credible sources that an employee's work vehicle has been spotted in locations that it shouldn't have been and we would like to have proof. The problem is that if he knows he is being tracked his behavior will just change until such time as he isn't being tracked. An ODB2 based device like the ones from Linxup would be great except for the fact that the damned ODB port is right by the drivers knees and clearly visible when you open the door. A battery powered, passive logger would work if it has enough battery life for the work week, but this carries larger risk of getting caught putting it on or off and then the jig is up too.

We've considered a phone app as he is issued a work phone, so we have every legal right to do so but have concerns about privacy issues as he takes the phone home with him.

All together, it seems to be a pretty tricky application.
    There are commercial systems designed for just this purpose. Apparently they're so common that some people buy gps hammers that plug into the cigarette lighter to avoid popping up. Just read a news story where a guy who did this wandered near an airport and jammed an experimental landing system.

Truck driver has GPS jammer, accidentally jams Newark airport | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

If you get him to change his behaviour, haven't you accomplished the goal? Is your goal to get him behaving in a professional manner, or to fire him for being unprofessional?

Our fleet has GPS tracking in every vehicle - and every employee is told this when they start. Some people still do stupid things in company trucks, but the GPS system gives us solid data to sit down and talk with the people doing stupid things. It's also cut down on speeding quite a bit...which has cut down on accidents.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

It is a bit of a unique scenario in that we've received several reports from credible sources that an employee's work vehicle has been spotted in locations that it shouldn't have been and we would like to have proof. .
    I don't think the SPOT is what you want. Google it, there are plenty of spy shops selling what you need. If you are planning on firing him for bad results you may wish to speak to your state's labor board or a labor law attorney before you do anything.
    I live in a rural area and have had friends thank me for asking them if they thought it good advertising when company marked vehicles were being seen frequenting known drug houses. I never specifically pointed out any drivers, but they figured it out.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

There are two types of tracking system active and passive. Both are good and it depends on you that which one you want and which one will suit you. I must say that today it is very important to have gps tracking system ton check and follow your vehicle anytime and anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links