Home security

Home security

This is a discussion on Home security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So with us moving back to The States in a few months I've been thinking a bunch about our old house and what I can ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 3 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By rstickle

Thread: Home security

Home security

So with us moving back to The States in a few months I've been thinking a bunch about our old house and what I can do to improve the security. I plan on adding full length door jams, longer wood screws in the door hinges, and I'd like to upgrade the exterior lights and add a video monitoring/recording system.

But my biggest concern is really the giant sliding glass door in the backyard and the giant glass windows up front. As far as the windows go I'm pretty limited due to HOA rules, but any suggestions are welcome.

Now as far as the sliding glass door goes, I've seen security doors and I was kind of thinking something along those lines, at least for the fixed part of the door. For the sliding part, maybe a hinged security door? Not really sure yet.

On second thought a sliding security door mounted internally might work as well, and it would definitely be less cumbersome.

Thanks guys.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I wouldn't have a sliding glass door in my house. I'd swap it out asap.

Wow, Airman First Class, 2 stripes E3 must pay a lot better than in 1974. I didn't live off base.
    Wheelspinner likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

9uc
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I wouldn't have a sliding glass door in my house. I'd swap it out asap. Wow, Airman First Class, 2 stripes E3 must pay a lot better than in 1974. I didn't live off base.
    Yeah, been there, done that in '67-68 as an A1C while in 'Nam as a Sky Cop. Unfortunately, I've got two sliding glass doors, one in what is supposed to be the master bedroom and one in the dinning room area. Because of space in the rooms and living in a town house HOA, not much I can do. Hoping to do the Roladen type manual override rolling shutters which the HOA can't prevent. I've heard about $1500+ per door, but beats having to buy and make payments on another house.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

I'd tell you what I really think of HOAs, but I'd be banned for life.
    PakWaan, 9uc and airslot like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    the giant glass windows up front. As far as the windows go I'm pretty limited due to HOA rules, but any suggestions are welcome.
    For the windows, and hopefully get around HOA rules, think something like rose bushes or any other thorn (bigger and sharper the thorns the better), type decorative bush, but leave the windows visible from the street. Might not stop them but will surely discourage them!
    9uc likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Looks good for keeping the BGs out but not so good for keeping insects out.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Looks good for keeping the BGs out but not so good for keeping insects out.
    Pick your poison. Here in Florida the bugs are so big they couldn't get through it...and it's too blamed hot to open your windows...ever...even in winter.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

3m window film or a good quality knock off for the windows... it's 99% clear so shouldn't be an issue for HOA.

Depending on the size of your windows... here's one place to look... 8 or 12 mil with a heavy leaning towards 12 mil.
    Safety and Security Window Film | Window Film and More.com

Sliding glass doors... can be a problem... but can be overcome with the film, and with the addition of a bar in the sliding track and pins so that the (sliding portion of the) door cannot be picked up and tipped in.

for door jamb security:

Armor Concepts | Security That Works

Welcome to Safe Homes International? Home of the Strikemaster II Pro!

According to data I've been able to uncover... about 33% of home burglaries are begun at the front door... by kicking it in.
    Another 22% or so are the rear door.
    And 9% through an attached garage.

IMO, it's all about buying time... if you can buy time while you are home, you have time to arm; or arm, and get to a safe room.
    If you can buy time while you are away from the house, it is a means of discouragement... but security systems and cameras are hackable... especially wireless.

And monitored systems like ADT and others, can cause longer response times than a 911 call from a victim. According to the president of the alarm installers coalition...

DIY installation of window film in 3 parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvblNFdec9M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9zqq8dbpQs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krPj-Jmeng

good luck. Hope this helped.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Well this is the second time I'm writing this, so please bear with me. And I swear one of these days I'm going to start a topic and include all the relevant information and not misstate anything. But that being said thank you everyone for the replies and I'll try to add a little to this thread myself.

First off Noname762, I get the feeling that things may have changed a little. Now, if you live off base you are given BAH, or Basic Allowance for Housing. This is based on your paygrade and the cost of living of the local area. So if an E-3 did need to live off base for some reason he could afford to.

Now, that being said, I'm an E-6. I've just been a member of this forum since I was an E-3. I use this name on several forums, and I haven't changed it as a personal reminder that I wasn't always a responsible NCO, there was a time when even I was a reckless Airman. I know, it may be hard for some members here to believe, but even I have made a mistake or two over the years. And if you were curious, I didn't move off base (officially) until I was about to be married and selected for E-5 as well.

Rstickle, thanks once again. But unfortunately I'm not exactly sure how well rose bushes would do just outside of Phoenix, AZ. That being said, I'm sure I could figure something out. I'd just be a little worried about my children falling into one. (My son unfortunately inherited his gracefulness, or lack thereof, from his mother.)

Bugdude that's awesome! Now I just have to go through the HOA's CCR's again and see if those would be legal. I really like how they can be opened from the inside soyou can still egress if the need arises. If not, the security film that oakchas mentioned may be my best bet. And thanks for the suggestion 9uc, but I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me if I tried to add roll up shutters to the house.

As far as reinforcing the door jamb I already had the StrikeMaster in mind, but it's nice to see some alternative, especially ones that consider aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, security is my main concern, but this is also my front door we're talking about I want it to look good and not have a bunch of security features stand out.

I guess this is one of the things I could have said a little better. When I said add a "video monitoring/recording system" I was thinking of something along the lines of hard-wired cameras (preferably hidden) leading to a central recording/monitoring station and maybe having it available internally on my network if it could be reasonably secured (I haven't ruled this out yet, but it isn't a requirement). This would be used just as much to watch the kids as to observe the house and surrounding area. As far as I'm concerned ADT and similar systems are just a waste of time and money.

Thanks again everyone, you've definitely given me a few new ideas to ponder until I get back.
    TSgt. Lickey

So I posted a similar thread on another forum and someone gave me this link Nx Stage Security sliding doors, french doors, window guards and this seems exactly what I was looking for to protect the rear sliding door.
    TSgt. Lickey

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    DSC_5598.JPGI have three sets of sliding glass patio doors. The security issues caused me to seaqrch what works well without doing conisderable damage to my financial empire.

A product sold at many home improvement stores was my answer. Photos show how they lock into the home and locks with a key. If someone were to use my sliding doors as an break in point, it will be because they shattered the glass and in 11 yrs, that has not happened, even though a couple of gun safes can be seen through the glass.DSC_5597.JPG
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You can add plastic laminate to your windows and patio door. It will not stop a person from getting in, but it will slow them down, giving you extra time.

I can't help you on your topic, just wanted to say thanks for your service. Land of the free, BECAUSE of the brave.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Sponsored Links