That's no missionary ...

This is a discussion on That's no missionary ... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This news nugget is posted in the familiar vein of ..."never let your guard down." In this case a couple of low life's decide to ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Stoveman
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002
  • 2 Post By Sister

Thread: That's no missionary ...

That's no missionary ...

This news nugget is posted in the familiar vein of ..."never let your guard down." In this case a couple of low life's decide to portray themselves as Mormon missionaries in order to pull off a armed robbery.
    Robbers pose as Mormon missionaries | News - Home

2. Remove Ads

It's a shame that those two 'missionaries' did get their chance to really meet God.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad I'm the kind of person that doesn't give missionaries the time of day. I have tactics for Mormons, offer them inside for a drink, light a cig, tell them I would like to join their church but the heroin and meth addictions really got me down. And just like any other visitor to my home, they are greeted by an armed person.

No offense to any LDS members, but I hate anybody selling crap at my home. Especially if you're selling religion or politics. Unless you're delivering something I already paid for, kick rocks. Even moreso with how bold criminals are getting lately.
    Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

VIP Member
    That's quite a position those missionaries are taking....
    RT, Brad426, Sister and 2 others like this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    That's quite a position those missionaries are taking....
    Wow, that's just bad....

Distinguished Member
    I had not considered this scenario. The JWs come by our street pretty often. No one gets through my security door until I am sure I want them to. I need to inform the wife of this. Thanks for sharing.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

The Mormons out here (AZ - Maricopa County supposedly has more Mormons than all of Utah) don't blink at the sight of an armed person. JWs, on the other hand, seem much more frightened at the sight.

Pretty low-level scum to imitate religious folk to prey on innocents. Hope they get their due .
    OD*, tcox4freedom and Sister like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

These "missionaries" were out knocking on a door at just after 6AM. Um, no, not their usual modus operendi. I wonder why the thugs selected that house. The good news is that they got pretty good pictures of them. Swap out them plain white shirts for something with stripes.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    ... it's a space station!

Neither the Mormons nor the Jehovah's Witnesses are discourteous enough to start knocking at 6 a.m., in my experience.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    This was done in my region, they were casing places, not invading though. 30 years ago I used to see in San Diego a company that ran a "rescue mission". They housed homeless but made them "work" by dropping them off in prime locations to beg, and sending them through residential areas to sell candy bars. They searched them when they got back and gave them a few cents on the dollar. They might have been providing a roof and a meal, but they were certainly not helping the community. The moral is, don't believe it.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    ... it's a space station!

Neither the Mormons nor the Jehovah's Witnesses are discourteous enough to start knocking at 6 a.m., in my experience.
    In the past, I've experienced JW's knocking at 7am. Seemed discourteous enough, at the time. Sent them packing.

Of course, that was the last time I opened my door to clear unknowns prior to identification ... though, that was 25+ years ago.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Once I had a religious door knocker at 0900, elderly fella. I of course was holding a gun as I was still lounging in my PJs but he did not know that. The first time, I politely explained that he was not welcome on my property and he was to immediately leave, as I had just the previous night watched a news report of this particular religion allowing convicted child molesters to be door knockers. Apparently they have a little church trial, pray for forgiveness, and all is well again, instead of letting the police and courts handle the manner. The second time I spoke, I was less polite. The third time I informed him I was calling 911 to report a trespasser. The nice LEO had a chit chat with him.

A week later he came back. You might say I was pretty rude that time but he got the message. It didn't stick. A few weeks later he came back again. Called 911 again. I was hoping he would get a free car ride but at least the LEO lecture that time resulted in no more door knocking.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    From the story:

"Something went around my neck. A hand went around my mouth, and I screamed for my wife," Terence Delucia told CNN affiliate KTNV.

His screams woke his wife and daughter. Both reportedly hid in their closets.
    Bleating quietly.

"Thankfully, impersonating missionaries is very rare," she said.
    How rare?
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Thankfully, impersonating missionaries is very rare," she said.
    How rare?

I bet she and others like her would be appalled to know how often invaders fly "false colors" in order to gain entrance ... whether it be acting as though someone benign, inflicting a guilt trip of sorts (ie, donate to help the XYZ Care group), or whatever.

I'm open to listening to someone, sure. But by golly it's going to be between the security door's protection, at worst. They'll always have the option to call me on the phone, if I've given it out that is. Don't know my phone number? Then, they can't possibly know me or have legitimate business with me. The only alternative to denial of "false" entry, then, is forcible knock-down-the-door type entry. At which point, it's 100% certain that you defend your very lives, or you fail to do so. Pretty simple, actually. Sadly, altogether too many people fail to take any precautions whatsoever, such that attempting to hide in a closet is about the only alternative they've left themselves. A pretty shoddy response to one's responsibility over children and family, I'd say. One would think those lives are valued just a tad higher than that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I had a couple of men come by saying they were selling vacuums all dressed up. I didn't believe them. For one, I'm in the country and the folks out here don't have a lot of money (blue collar hood) and the homes are far apart so why try to sell here? The good part was where my dog Jake (RIP Dec. 2012) that was big and scary and my other big dog both came to the door and gave the men hard cold stares. Both the men took note of the dogs and the men never came back. I do see another big scary boy dog coming into my life to keep my big female lab company. Dogs are and can be expensive but so is a security system and a security system can't hug as well.
    gottabkiddin and nontechguy like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Links