A gated community is not enough...

This is a discussion on A gated community is not enough... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (semi or fully gated)... Security, doubled; is not enough. Story here You can have a monitored security system, and it may not be enough... Who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: A gated community is not enough...

(semi or fully gated)...

Security, doubled; is not enough.

Story here

You can have a monitored security system, and it may not be enough... Who wants their security company to call the police 1-2 minutes AFTER the criminals are in your house?

You can have a video surveillance system, and take pictures of the masked thugs as they enter, and while they are threatening you with guns, and even while they walk out carrying your jewelry, TVs, stereos, cash, computers, phones, and shotguns... but it will not help describe the masked criminals.

...OR...

You can keep them from getting in at all. By securing your house with jamb protectors, window film, and other means... If the thugs get in through all that, then you will have had time to arm yourself, or at the very least, get into a safe room, which they cannot enter, and call 911 yourself.

It takes less than 3 seconds to get into a house with no hardening, even with deadbolts engaged.
    National average response time is said to be 8 minutes, AFTER 911 dispatches first responders.
    Burglars are usually in and out in less than 12 minutes.

Hardening your home with jamb protectors and window film on accessible windows yourself is less expensive than a monitored alarm system and many video surveillance systems, there is no monthly fee. And, properly installed; may reduce your insurance costs.

Keeping them out, or significantly delaying their entry; buys precious time to arm or otherwise secure yourself. And then, you have a much better chance of "stopping the threat."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Very good

Yep, My doors are all reinforced with security locks and steel plates screwed into the framing with 4" lag bolts. Replaced all the short tiny screws on the hinges as well. Most of the time, they kick in the door. Broken windows make a lot of noise and take a minute to open after broken. But impact windows are better.

I've been broken into and have hardened the exterior of my home to at least give me enough time to be waiting on the other side armed when they break in.

Wednesday morning police detectives were seen leaving the home in the semi-gated neighborhood.
    Semi-gated? Is that like kind of pregnant?
    The only way for gates to be effective is if they are at every entrance and access is controlled 24/7. If there is a single gate that is left open during the day (for deliveries or contractors or whatever) the rest of the gates are worthless. There is a right way to do it and a wrong way and this looks very much like the wrong way. The only other way I see this "semi-gated" is if you have a gate enclave inside the larger neighborhood. If that is the case and the victims did not live in the gated section the gates are irrelevant.

But yes, a gated community is just one layer of your "security onion".
    Sister and NONAME762 like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Semi-gated. Like body armor without the armor!!

• Gates can be hopped, whether they're euphemistically called "security" gates or not.
    • Windows can be broken.
    • Doors can be kicked in.
    • Windows on doors can be broken, then the doors unlocked (if the windows are in an asinine position on the door).
    • A home's remotest rooms can be assailed within a few seconds of entry, on the average home.
    • A sufficient weapon not in hand or immediately accessible can take many seconds to acquire.
    • Cameras only take pictures; they don't actually stop a thing.
    • Alarms only make noise; they don't actually stop a thing; at best, they induce a sense of urgency.
    • Dogs make noise, recognize new arrivals, might possibly assist in stopping entry; but they can be defeated.

By comparison: hardened door and window framing, hardened doors and windows, interior security doors ... can all buy time.

While traveling, some years back, I admired the utility of full-wall security gating that rolled down over the building. Such places weren't all that attractive to look at, if done simply/poorly, though they could be painted and gussied up, to improve the view. What's irrefutable, though, is that getting through them would be a noisy booger of a challenge, without alerting the occupants. Saw several homes done this way. Windows were smaller, security barred. The yard was surrounded by a gate, topped with either glass shards embedded in concrete or other "owie" inducing option. Dogs roamed the interior yard (inside the gate). Security cameras monitored the compound. Didn't really look heavily fortified, as these elements were generally really well done. But it would keep out anything but a big truck barreling through the walls, and it would keep out even determined assailants for awhile. Was impressed by a few of these installations.

Of course, try that sort of thing here, in the USA, and you'd get charged by all neighbors as being insane, alarmist, paranoid in the extreme, and likely accused of all sorts of hateful things by LE/DA types in the event a poor invading felon got injured upon attempted entry. At least, in some states.

But, so many of the basic elements can be done, simply via selective and judicious acquisitions: picking the home site, home layout, hardening the doors/windows, placing one or two key interior security doors, alarm, dogs, and (of course) being well-armed. Not for everyone, no. But surely within the reach of many folks who are otherwise planning to resist.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
    NONAME762 and Phaedrus like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Been thinking about hurricane film since I live in the gulf coast area. I live in a gated community with patrolling security 24/7, but people tailgate in all the time. Got the monitored security system and video DVR system, but it isn't preventive. I do carry at home all the time. THAT is immediate!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

One thing about an 8' high wall with glass on top is it's hard to scale, especially when being chased by a large dog.
    The BG got away, but left a substantial part of the rear end of his pants. He never actually made it to the house.
    Unfortunately I couldn't do this once back in the states.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Some of the neighborhoods my company works have razor wire on top of the walls. One of the older ones has the broken bottles in the cement on top. Nice thing about the bottles is they don't rust like the razor wire does.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Cool

Back in the 80s I had an FFL for 4 years. I got buku way cool catalogs ALL THE TIME. Not just gun stuff either. One outfit called Phoenix Systems most of what they sold was security related. Every time I reflect on them I wanna bang my head against a wall...why why why I didn't buy a couple rolls of Razor Wire/Concertina Wire when I had the chance??

They also carried OC spray misters that could be command controlled or work kinda like off a trip wire setup. Tripwire parachute flares or 12G noise makers. You could buy what they called Kevlar blankets that were like 4 feet by 4 feet each. Parts kits for HK, FN-FALs, high quality arms. They sold Paladin Press books too. Books by Ragnar Benson were about the best but they carried the works of Mel Tappan and Jeff Cooper too. One of their catalogs they had either a WWII Ferret Scout Car with turret and ClassIII 30cal BMG or M113 APC for sale. Them were the Good Ole Days. I still got one of their catalogs out in my shop. They always had a Rockin' Hot gal on the front cover...like I cared All I wanted to see was the cool security stuff they had.
    Last edited by NONAME762; August 23rd, 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: 0opsy
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Some of the neighborhoods my company works have razor wire on top of the walls. One of the older ones has the broken bottles in the cement on top. Nice thing about the bottles is they don't rust like the razor wire does.
    Rusty Razor Wire is double good to my way of thinking. If Razor Wire draws blood off a BG what do ya spose his TETANUS Shot is up to date??

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Gated community? Heck, nothing but old Yankees that live in the gated communities here at the beach. Easy prey for the criminal. The old rednecks live in the woods with the snakes
    tundra likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Been thinking about hurricane film since I live in the gulf coast area. I live in a gated community with patrolling security 24/7, but people tailgate in all the time. Got the monitored security system and video DVR system, but it isn't preventive. I do carry at home all the time. THAT is immediate!
    Your gate needs an upgrade to defeat the tailgaters. Remember the reverse tire killers (spikes) at Drive In theaters from a hundred years ago Bug Man?? Get the tire killer hydraulic lift installed. Even if it just gets the rear axle them tailgaters ain't goin' NOWHERE FAST Some of the best lessons I learned in my life I learned them ONCE and it was The HARD WAY.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Gated community? Heck, nothing but old Yankees that live in the gated communities here at the beach. Easy prey for the criminal. The old rednecks live in the woods with the snakes
    Gates keep my dogs in. Beware of owner!
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Yeah if I hadn't been dumberthanaboxarocks my place would be in some woods in an area called Dukes Hill.

Hay Hay Sweet Princess how ya be?? I got my CD CD playin' ole Rockin' out Baptist hymns. Talkin' atcha with my brand spankin' new LOGITECH keyboard and Mousarama. I still got a virus but at least I can get down and have fun here.
    I got some almost HUSHPUPPIES at the G.O. yesterday. Look just like Hushpuppies or donut holes but these got rice and 4 cheeses in them. 21 of the suckers per bag...wunderbar They are perty doggone tasty I'm here 2 tell y'all. Got me sum not too bad cocktail sauce to dip 'em
    Got some vege fried rice gonna start in like right nowFeedbag in 20mikes.
    Last edited by NONAME762; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: 0ops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links