Does anybody live on the US/Mexican border?

This is a discussion on Does anybody live on the US/Mexican border? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings! Do any DC members live in rural areas on or near the Mexican border? What experiences have you had? What precautions do you take? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Does anybody live on the US/Mexican border?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

Greetings!

Do any DC members live in rural areas on or near the Mexican border?

What experiences have you had?

What precautions do you take?

What specialty equipment or defensive weapons are your EDC?

It seems to me that living in such an environment would be very mentally taxing and anxiety provoking.

Thanks for your input!

Hunter

VIP Member
    The same would apply to Detriot , Baltimore , Camden , anyone else could add a few more to the list . Some places once dusk hits you stay in and hope bullets don't come through the wall .
    Oldpsufan, Spade115 and mano3 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member
    "South of the Border" in SC is safe!

(couldn't help it)
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

If i lived on the mexican border, I would quickly relocate
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

We're all on the Mexican border these days. I would argue that the border has become a blurred line. We have experienced the single largest foreign invasion over the last 20 years...and it seems the liberals are dead set on giving them everything hand over fist.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Cant even imagine how much ammo I would stockpile if I had to live there
    GlockHawk17 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    You'll need to install a .50 cal machine gun on your roof and you need to sleep in shifts so it's manned all the time...
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the border over Chicago. Most of the stuff along the border is about getting across undetected. That means avoiding the locals when possible.

However, don't leave your Ford Superduty unattended along the border if it's a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post

However, don't leave your Ford Superduty unattended along the border if it's a 4x4.
    One of my employees learned that first hand in South Texas last week. It doesn't take long at all.

I spent 2 weeks in Del Rio Texas which is three hours west of San Antonio, right on the Mexican Border. Since I was spending the majority of my time at Laughlin AFB I did not bring my carry gun. When I would be out in town I would keep my SA up as if I were carrying. I did not find myself feeling any less safe as opposed to anywhere else. However, I did not go into Mexico, only stayed on the US side. And I was only at one boarder town which happened to have a big Border Patrol station and a US Air Force base at it, so it is possible that it may be safer than other towns on the border.

ETA: I was there in July

Not for very long. Too many illegals killing everyone.

Too many F&F guns floating around down there.
    Sister likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I lived in Arizona, not far from the border in one home, and a number of miles away from the border in the other two I owned. I was actively engaged in federal law enforcement while I was there, so I was never unarmed. The rural area along the border is known to be unsafe these days, due to the various human/narcotic smuggling groups that have been pushed out into the desert away from the towns by the various Border Patrol strategies. Ranchers that live directly on the border east of Nogales are constantly having issues with the illegals. Having said all of that, I personally feel "less safe" in any city in the country, and I'm still always armed. I think situational awareness is always the key, along with proper training and being prepared to deal with the threat when it materializes, not if. Be safe.
    N.M. Edmands and PatAz like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    We're all on the Mexican border these days. I would argue that the border has become a blurred line. We have experienced the single largest foreign invasion over the last 20 years...and it seems the liberals are dead set on giving them everything hand over fist.
    Somewhere there a bunch of American Indians laughing their azzes off at this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    If i lived on the mexican border, I would quickly relocate
    Not if you had a 35,000 acre ranch that's been in your family for generations and running it is the only job you've ever had.

Interview of Rancher Robert Krentz in 2005 Now Murdered by Illegals - YouTube

Border Rancher Rob Krentz And Dog Found Shot To Death After Aiding Illegal Alien : Diggers Realm

You don't even have to live within 20 miles of the border to be adversely affected by "border issues." Pinal County - which lies squarely between Maricopa County (central AZ, Phoenix area) and Pima County (Tucson area, south to the border) has major routes for illegal human and drug smuggling traffic by foot and by vehicle. Border Patrol activity there is substantial; you can't drive 45 minutes on I-10 without seeing BP vehicles.

I live in east-central Maricopa Co, 115 miles from the Mexican border. For the past several years, due to the recession, numerous vacant/foreclosed homes in my area have become 'drop houses' for illegal trafficking by Mexicans. That activity has diminished due to the resurgence in the real estate market, but it's hardly rare.

In response to the OP's question, I don't do a lot differently, but we have a heightened sense of people, cars and situations in our town and neighborhood which appear out of place.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links