Called the police out yesterday

This is a discussion on Called the police out yesterday within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope this is in the right forum. Yesterday, I was traveling to a town about 50 miles away, and back home. I got about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Called the police out yesterday

Called the police out yesterday

I hope this is in the right forum. Yesterday, I was traveling to a town about 50 miles away, and back home. I got about 8 miles from home (heading back), and see a man walking down the road with a walking stick, a satchel, no shirt, and "CAUTION" tape tied around his neck dragging like a tail. The tape went almost to the ground. I got home, and did yard work until I ran out of daylight, and knew I needed to start getting cleaned up for bed. Right when I got done, it was about Dusk :30. I put everything up, and remembered I left some stuff in my vehicle I needed to get out. At this point, my dogs are out back. I was walking to my vehicle, and looked up, and across the highway, I see someone walking. He looked right in my direction and crossed the road. I froze. Undetermined if he saw me. He walked into my front yard, and started taking things off his person. My mind was racing. Do I stay where I am, continue to get the bag of items out of my vehicle, yell for him to get off my property, or go back inside (Remember, I don't know for sure if he knows I'm out there right now)? So I'm standing there, not moving, trying to breathe quietly, until he starts going through his bag. My mind was made up real quick to go inside, so I do. I locked the door, and was watching through the window. He started to walk towards my house, thankfully, my little dog ran around front and started barking. He continued to come towards the house. My BIG dog then made his way around front, and the guy turned around and went into the neighbors front yard. Now, the thing is, since I live on a state highway, this guy hadn't trespassed yet, as so many feet off the road belongs to the state. So he goes and sits under the street light in my neighbors yard (No one currently lives there), and I am watching him, along with someone else in my house watching him. After (roughly) 3 minutes, he stood up, and started walking briskly towards my neighbors shop, and that's when we started making phone calls. According to dispatch, people driving by had already called, and a officer was on the way. While on the phone with the county sheriff's office, a state police officer drove by, and I flashed my porch lights. He didin't stop. About 5 minutes later, a deputy pulled in, but didn't see him and went to the end of my road and started spot lighting. I was flashing my back porch light trying to get her up the road again. after about a minute of spot lighting, she found him. They talked for a few minutes, he got in the back of the car, and they drove off. Dispatch called, and said everything was okay, and the officer would be back in about 10 minutes to explain to us. About 10 minutes later, she pulled back in, and said the guy was just mad and out walking to blow off steam. I don't buy that. You don't walk at least 8 miles to blow off steam. She asked where she could take him, and the address he gave her didn't match the name he gave her. I don't go out walking through people's front yards (Especially at night), and I expect them to not walk through mine. I didn't sleep much last night. Needless to say, in a very rural part of the county, at 8:00 P.M. on a Tuesday, you still need to keep your guard up. Oh yeah, when I pulled in from work this afternoon, I noticed "CAUTION" tape wrapped around my stop sign.
    Something witty

2. Remove Ads

Wow quite a interesting situation you were in, personally you handled it very well & I wouldn't have changed a thing you did. Thank god you weren't hurt or that it didn't escalate any further, just anoter learning experience for you at this point from what I can see. Remember never let you're SA down or forget to carry.

...he didn't have any business "being mad" on private property after dusk...headed toward your neighbor's shop...sometimes the po-po don't tell everything they know...I'd be alert for a while and keep the dogs hungry...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...he didn't have any business "being mad" on private property after dusk...headed toward your neighbor's shop...sometimes the po-po don't tell everything they know...I'd be alert for a while and keep the dogs hungry...
    You got that right, I agree with you entirely on the matter.

If only all nut jobs were marked "caution..."
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    That's scary, it would have freaked me out. Good thing about the dogs keeping you up on what is going on and glad you and your family are ok.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by chief8991 View Post
    .....About 10 minutes later, she pulled back in, and said the guy was just mad and out walking to blow off steam. I don't buy that. You don't walk at least 8 miles to blow off steam.
    I have to agree. When I was a youngin', females would occasionally rile me but never an 8 mile walk's worth. That's crazy.

Yeah, I'm not buying that explanation for a second.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The officer doesn't know how you would handle things, so probably didn't give you all the details of his lurid past. She wanted you to sleep well, but alas, you did not....you did well...let the police handle such situations, and be a good witness in case the incident goes south for the officer.

Cops thought process = "how do I get out of this without having to go through a lot of hassle with a nutty homeless man? Oh crap, and how do I get this neighbor off my back. I've got it, I'll totally buy into the homeless guys bogus story".
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Ive seen domestics where neither party was very bright and the female kicked the male out. Having no place to go the guy would just grab up a small bag and start hoofin with no particular destination in mind.

Wild guess here but caution tape probably a ill thought out idea to keep from being run over by a car??? Maybe???

OK OK it is kinda wierd. Glad it turned out ok for ya
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Now THAT was a strange one. Glad everything turned out alright.
    I was thinking, "he walked 8 miles to case a neighborhood"?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Kinda like those t shirts that state " don't play well with others"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

He might have been using the caution tape to mark his way back home.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You gotta watch out for those pedestrians. This guy lives 12 miles down the hill and walks by my house at least 3 times a week. Vietnam vet inspires Calif. town to help the wounded - CBS News
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links