Off to Commiefornia for work

This is a discussion on Off to Commiefornia for work within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my wife is going to some convention for her work. Her office is flying her out there with all expenses paid for 4 days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Off to Commiefornia for work

So my wife is going to some convention for her work. Her office is flying her out there with all expenses paid for 4 days which is pretty nice. I'll be joining her since it will be my birthday that week and wouldn't mind traveling. I've never been on a plane so this will be a first.

Unfortunately I can't carry my usual form of self defense; so what do you CA folks do? Would it be legal to carry my 2.5" KaBar TDI fixed blade or do I need to get a standard buck folding knife? I'd rather have something instead of just having to run away from someone. My wife is not a runner(she would out run anyone by distance but not speed) so if we were in trouble I would need to stay and fight.

Distinguished Member
    Since they are so anal about guns you probably won't need one. I'm not sure of their mace law, but if it's legal there pick up some when you get there and the both of you carry that and you should be good.

I went there once back in the early 90's. Nobody looked scary, just different (Long Beach/Huntington Beach). Was real happy to get back to the East coast!

Good luck flying, maybe take some motion sickness meds with you just in case...it ain't like you can go out for a breath of fresh air if you start feeling sick and those bathrooms are so small and bumpy, not a fun place to have to hurl!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I don't think there will be any scary folks in San Francisco besides a creepy gay or two. I just want to be prepared as I always am here in Florida.

Thanks for the flight tips. I have no clue what flying is like so I'll take any info ya got. I've been in helicopters but not a fixed wing so it will definitely be a different feeling.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    'Great restaurants in San Francisco. I haven't been out to the Cliff House (southside of Golden Gate) since they rebuilt it, but I've watched many a beautiful sunset while having a fine dinner there. Pier 39 is also an interesting place to visit with some great restaurants as well.

Stay sharp on your situational awareness and have good time, knowing you'll be coming back to a free state when you're done with your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Great restaurants in San Francisco. I haven't been out to the Cliff House (southside of Golden Gate) since they rebuilt it, but I've watched many a beautiful sunset while having a fine dinner there. Pier 39 is also an interesting place to visit with some great restaurants as well.

Stay sharp on your situational awareness and have good time, knowing you'll be coming back to a free state when you're done with your visit.
    That's mainly what I'm going there for! Find a couple bars to have some craft beer and some great food.

Cool

If it's still there and no I was little and don't recall the name. A famous Chinese restaurant on the wharf by the fishing boats. It was an old theater with gold walls and red carpets through out. I was 5 or 6. It was highly likely the first time I'd ever had Chinese food and I've been hooked for life!!! I've loved incense ever since too. Everything about this place was out of this world. The BEST!!!

On another site folks suggested picking up a halfway decent lock blade for SD and at airport before your return flight drop it in the trash. A kind of travel insurance of short term duration.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

If you want to carry a fixed blade, I believe it can not be concealed. Dont even get me started, but as others have said, I would take a folding knife that can be deployed quickly and pepper spray. I have always found SF dirty, but the piers are an experience. Stay safe, good luck.
    mprp likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Stay away from the really tall women with deep voices and hairy chins!
    nontechguy likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I don't think there will be any scary folks in San Francisco besides a creepy gay or two. I just want to be prepared as I always am here in Florida.

Thanks for the flight tips. I have no clue what flying is like so I'll take any info ya got. I've been in helicopters but not a fixed wing so it will definitely be a different feeling.
    As far as flying, get to the airport early and don't get too worked up over changes in plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Stay away from the really tall women with deep voices and hairy chins!
    To each their own!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I spent 6 months out in the Mohave Desert, staying in Lancaster. Other than one store owner killed in a robbery and a few other random shootings it was no big deal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I like BigJon's idea for being about the only thing you can do if you're from out of state and visiting out here. Personally though, when I go, (kicking and screaming out of necessity for work) through S.F. or to Monterey, I carry a .45 and two spare mags.

I'm sure you'll have a good time while you're down there. Great restaurants everywhere but be mindful of which bars you visit down there amigo.

Enjoy your flight!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    If you're flying with any weapons, they'll need to be in checked baggage, and they'll need to be lawful on the other end.

Knife, spray, kubotan (if you know it), cane or walking stick. If you don't have a CA CHL, then those are roughly your options. Brush up on the knife and spray laws.

San Francisco has several different spots. If you're heading anywhere near Market St. or the Tenderloin district, for example, watch your "six," watch for the aggressive panhandling, watch for pickpockets, and have caution after dark. Most other spots, you should be mostly fine. As with anywhere, avoid long and dark walks through parking lots without much lighting, spots that are far out of "screaming" distance. Avoid alleys. It's not as rough as most spots, but it is a big city with lots of varied sections. Big pedestrian population, with is both a plus and minus, depending on your SA and abilities.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I saw a Sports Authority near the airport so I may just pick up a Gerber folder while I'm out and about. If they carry them in that state that is.

/initiate sarcasm

Don't fret, California has stupid strict gun laws so they don't have any violence there. You have nothing to be concerned with.

/sarcasm off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links