Man in your backyard carrying a silenced hunting rifle...!

This is a discussion on Man in your backyard carrying a silenced hunting rifle...! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This in interesting. I hope the animal control folks wandering around my neighborhood here in Tucson with silenced rifles are VERY vigilant. I would NOT ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Man in your backyard carrying a silenced hunting rifle...!

This in interesting. I hope the animal control folks wandering around my neighborhood here in Tucson with silenced rifles are VERY vigilant. I would NOT want that job, especially at night!

DR

Game officials to kill javelinas in Tucson neighborhood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Okay, yeah...maybe I would too. But I'd be wearing a fluorescent orange body suit, body armor, and a giant neon sign above my head that said "Fish and Game Warden".
    And I'd make sure my blood type was in stock at University Hospital, and that my life insurance was current.
    :>

DR

Local PD did that for deer for a number of years with a suppressed 9mm AR - don't think the residents even knew what was going on. There are plenty of places "in town" where there aren't people present in the middle of the night and most shots were taken from inside the patrol car. Fed a lot of people too.
    stylus and OD* like this.

I guess live trapping and then euthanizing them is out of the question.I'm going to assume since they claim trapping and relocating isn't a good option,then why not trap them first so you don't have armed men roaming the neighborhood at night.
    I KNOW, IT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Because trapping is indiscriminate; you have to set a large number of traps per single catch; and they would have to locate the herd, anticipate where they will migrate to, and then set the traps. They'll waste a lot of time freeing non-targeted pissed off animals including people's pets and who wants to try to free a pissed off skunk. If it was so easy to trap a herd of pigs, there wouldn't be so much trouble with the feral kind all over the south and midwest. Pigs are also smart so as you trap a couple the others will become harder to trap. Once the herd is located, 3 agents could probably eliminate at least half in one night. The agents will also most likely be excellent shots, especially compared to the typical hunter, and they will be dead within a few seconds.
    Snub44 and blitzburgh like this.

Like nedrgr21 said, pigs are smart. Traps are only so effective. An infestation in a neighborhood? Forget the traps, bring in the big guns.
    BigJon10125 and Snub44 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I would volunteer, but I want one of those "blue light" helmets, and a kevlar vest.

Another option would be to put Ted Nugent up in a helicopter with night vision, and FLIR. I bet he'd love to participate!
    voodoo304 and NONAME762 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    Why I've never heard of them, they look like piglets? We don't have anything like that here that I know of. Just snakes and alligators.

Sounds dangerous to be walking in peoples yards with a gun, if somebody didn't watch tv or read about it then the shooters are libel to be shot.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Why don't they just let the local hunters have at 'em?
    ctr likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Moving around on private property with out the owner consent will get you shot here in Texas.
    multistage likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Did you mean the dead man in my back yard carrying a silenced hunting rifle?
    multistage, GhostMaker and Sister like this.

Senior Moderator
    Trapping is too "high risk" in a urban environment where you might get someone's cat or dog. Its just not worth the trouble.

Public Hunters aren't used because of the stupid factor. While 99 of them might be OK, its the one that lacks common sense that will cause an incident and screw it up for everyone else.

I've done it with NV and suppressed rifles.Our local airport had issues with deer on the runway. Lots of them, too many in fact. So several of us LEO's did what is known as the "slip shoot and boogie" .

We whacked a dozen and a half deer one night and no one knew it but us and the local slaughter house, which butchered them for free and gave the meat to the local "shelter".

It was simple, quick and quiet and very efficient.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Did you mean the dead man in my back yard carrying a silenced hunting rifle?
    What rifle...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Wanted: Someone to hunt pigs at night in suburbia

Must have silenced weapon and large cohones....
    oldnfat likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links