Drunk guy tried to start a fight

This is a discussion on Drunk guy tried to start a fight within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Short Version Some drunk guy tried to pick a fight with me and I stayed humble and walked away. Warned the school and made mistakes ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: Drunk guy tried to start a fight

Drunk guy tried to start a fight

Short Version
    Some drunk guy tried to pick a fight with me and I stayed humble and walked away. Warned the school and made mistakes by putting myself back in a dangerous situation when I was safely out of it.

Long Version
    Just got home from open mat at my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school (From here on referred to as bjj). I had a great time and trained with some great team mates. I said good bye to everyone and walked outside into the parking lot towards my car. I wear glasses and always leave them in my car so I have to squint to make out faces. As Im walking to my car I see two guys standing by a car and I assumed it was somebody from my school leaving so I tried to make out their faces to say peace.

As I got close I noticed they were two unknown faces and one was holding a beer bottle. It was so brief that I didnt have time to think and just continued to walk on. As I walked past them the guy with the bottle started cursing at me in spanish. Something about a cheecha. Then he starts going on saying "you blue belt purple belt striped [expletive]! You cant street fight, I know how to street fight you cant do nothing [expletive] etc".

I go to my car which is across from them, probably about 20 feet away and then step inside. I start to think that they might try and pick a fight with my team mates that are still inside. So I make a mistake and step back out and walk past them into the school. I gave them my back and in hindsight made a huge mistake as anything could have happened. I was just worried about my team mates but my safety comes first.

I walk into the school and warn everyone about some drunk guy outside trying to pick a fight. As Im in the school I see the one guy push the other guy in the car and drive off. A friend volunteered to walk with me to the car so I said sure why not. Got in my car and then left.

Im a purple belt in good shape and I also own firearms which I did have in my vehicle. Im a guy and I am not a namby-pamby. In my mind learning a martial art and being a responsible gun owner is about stuffing your ego and avoiding confrontations. I think I made a HUGE mistake by leaving my glasses in the vehicle. I will never do that again as I was at a disadvantage and I think by me squinting the drunk guy might have seen it as me giving him a hard look which wasnt even the case.

I will also never leave my firearm in my vehicle because I might have needed it then, who knows if that guy tried to break the bottle and slash me with it or even worse be armed himself. And finally I will never turn my back on a threat or put myself back into harms way once I have gotten out of it. I should have gotten in my car retrieved my firearm and then drove off while calling the school and warning them. We all like to say what we would do in these kinds of situations... well Im here to report what I did in this situation and in my mind it was a TOTAL FAILURE. The only thing I am proud of is being able to not be an arrogant egotistical macho man and try to use my bjj skills on this guy and possibly hurt him or myself. Thanks for reading and hope all of you guys stay safe and out of harms way!

PS: I was about to eat some junk food but after that Im sticking to my Casein protein shake, need to stay in shape lol. Not even safe in front of my bjj school GEEZ!
    Last edited by gasmitty; September 7th, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: fix language workarounds

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not perfect, but a learning experience certainly. Ya done good.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Situations like these are quite valuable learning experiences. The best part is first, nothing happened and secondly, you got to see how you'd react in a scenario. Kudos for putting the ego aside and also looking back, assessing, and recognizing what errors you made and how you can correct them.

Aside from that, I have nothing to offer since you were able to point out everything that you could have done better.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It is a very necessary thing to have an "Intermediate Weapon" if you carry. It would be embarrassing to get your butt-kicked with a .45 on your hip.
    A firearm is useless in a fistfight.
    That is why we were trained with OC (pepper spray), Batons and Tazers in the Police academy.

Some States have various restrictions on such things, so check first. I carry OC in a 2 oz canister of Fox Labs 5 Million SHU (stream, not spray) in case a drunked up bubba, with no weapon, thinks I need a painful butt-whoopin'. Our training consisted of getting Hosed with a 2 sec blast.... it DOES work.

Whether Martial Arts, Baton, OC, Tazer, etc., anyone who carries should have an 'effective' "Intermediate Weapon" (aka Non-Lethal Weapon).
    Oldpsufan likes this.

It seems you have done a good bit of reflection on this incident.

Please don't take this the wring way- If you leave a gun in a car expect it to get stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by aich View Post
    I also own firearms which I did have in my vehicle.

And finally I will never turn my back on a threat or put myself back into harms way once I have gotten out of it.

I should have gotten in my car retrieved my firearm and then drove off while calling the school and warning them.

Lots of good lessons in that one.

If you are going to leave the firearm in the car while in the gym, you might want to carry one or two alternatives such as a knife, pepper spray, or whatever else works for you.

Kudos on keeping your distance, keeping out of it, and rethinking the scenario until you learn the lessons to be found there. Might want to present the basic scenario to your instructor, which I'm sure he or she will be able to weave into practical sessions for all of you. Unarmed against otherwise armed assailants is one of those things many of us come up against, in this life. BTDT, on a few occasions. It's no fun, to be unarmed at such times. If I'm still breathing, I hope to never to that again, myself, as I'm nobody's "stinking purple belt striped [expletive]."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    It is a very necessary thing to have an "Intermediate Weapon" if you carry. It would be embarrassing to get your butt-kicked with a .45 on your hip.
    A firearm is useless in a fistfight.
    That is why we were trained with OC (pepper spray), Batons and Tazers in the Police academy.

Some States have various restrictions on such things, so check first. I carry OC in a 2 oz canister of Fox Labs 5 Million SHU (stream, not spray) in case a drunked up bubba, with no weapon, thinks I need a painful butt-whoopin'. Our training consisted of getting Hosed with a 2 sec blast.... it DOES work.

Whether Martial Arts, Baton, OC, Tazer, etc., anyone who carries should have an 'effective' "Intermediate Weapon" (aka Non-Lethal Weapon).
    Agree, but don't forget, a firearm is a 2 pound bludgeon. If necessary, or if you can't quite deploy, it's an option. Smack and rack. ;)

To the OP, great job. Bear in mind the 'drunk' was not really trying to start a fight. He wasn't in the 'interview stage', he was merely blustering from a safe distance. So you probably weren't in much danger of being mugged. Take it as a learning opportunity, though, which you apparently did.

VIP Member
    First, glad everything worked out and you're OK. That's number one, always. You're here to write the story without any significant injuries so the situation turned out well.

Now, I disagree with non-LEO types carrying batons, tazers, OC, etc in addition to a firearm. Yes, there are times it could be very useful. However a prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney would pound in into the ground that you had other options- you're a martial artist, you had OC spray, etc- so why did you choose to shoot someone? You must be a blood thirsty serial killer in the making. (I know it is BS, but that's not a stretch at all.) Weigh the pros and cons and make a decision based on what you believe would work best for you.

On to the meat of the issue- You're a purple belt in BJJ. I don't know if your school is more sport or street focused (I do suspect sport since you refer to your fellow classmates as "team mates") so I don't know exactly how you all promote. But I know when I was progressing through white to blue the emphasis was that as a blue belt you'd have all the tools needed to win a street fight against a non-trained individual. (This was before the explosion of the UFC into pop culture, most people wouldn't know they could be in danger in your guard then so untrained was unaware... that has changed some over time.) From the day you are awarded your blue belt you start working on fighting trained opponents, multiple opponents, and armed opponents. While your school's focus may be different, I'm sure it is totally different. As such, you were likely more than equipped to deal with the situation, even if the guy broke the bottle and attacked you. Manage your distance, find an opening, attack the weakness. You're right about not leaving glasses in your car, having your pistol with you, etc. However give yourself a little credit. You have a skill that can help when something like this happens.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Hindsight is 20-20 as they say but you recognize your own mistake: i.e. walking back by them a second time (you don't say how close). With drunk arses, they might have balled up enough to jump you. I'm glad it worked out they way it did. It sounds like one of the two was sober enough to realize you might be going in to even the odds and didn't want to have much to do with that.

I also train in Shotokan and jui jitsu and my dojo is conveniently located by a local watering hole and on occasion a drunk cowboy will want to test his metal. We either ignore them or if they are really persistent, smile and invite them to come for a free lesson or two - once they sober up. To my knowledge, no one has taken up the offer.

However, before my joining this particular dojo, a drunk cowboy (apparently hat and all) walked into the dojo with similar intentions to your acquaintances and was asked to come back sober. As the story goes, he refused the invitation and one to leave. One of the senior instructors had placed himself between the guest and the students and the cowboy decides takes a swing. The instructor dodged and retaliated with a quick roundhouse kick to the solar plexus taking the guy out of a fighting mood. They then picked him up and took him outside where his buddies laughed their rear ends off as the put him in their truck. Apparently they told him it was a bad idea and would all collect $50 from him.

Moral of the story: drunk arses are a dime a dozen. Don't take the bait and avoid it if possible, but if it comes to it end it quickly. If it comes to that, training will give you an advantage over most people - but not all (e.g. Kimbo Slice).

Question: How did he know your rank? Or was he just guessing?

Lets look at it from a little different aspect,lets say you walked past,then returned whether armed with a gun or not,had a fight broke out and you told an LEO the story you just did the LEO may assume that you went back to confront the guy giving you lip service,and had it gone really SOUTH a Jury may feel the same way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member

Please read the forum rules

Trying to provide helpful information:

Welcome to the forum. Please take some time and read the rules. You are taking the chance of being kicked out when you use a letter and asterisks for things like the f word and other words that the moderators (and quite a few members) deem unacceptable language.

Yes, we all know those words (and a lot more words too) and probably a majority of members use them from time to time but that is not the point. Rules are rules. It's worth taking a couple seconds to think of alternate terminology to keep your membership in this great group.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    It seems you have done a good bit of reflection on this incident.

Please don't take this the wring way- If you leave a gun in a car expect it to get stolen.
    Even drunken beligerents will probably realise that you will be back in a week. Now they know what you drive. Park where you can see it and stay aware
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Maybe you snould buy contacts

A confrontation avoided is better than a confrontation won.

I also used a 180 lumen flashlight on strobe on a drunk one night in a bar and it sent him to his knees. Popped it on strobe and put it right in his eyes...you can't hit what you can't see.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links