Travel across Kansas

This is a discussion on Travel across Kansas within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We will be traveling across Kansas and Missouri soon and will have a pistol and permit. Is there any way to still visit sites such ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By PM
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: Travel across Kansas

Travel across Kansas

We will be traveling across Kansas and Missouri soon and will have a pistol and permit. Is there any way to still visit sites such as the Cavalry Museum at Fort Riley or the Hiistory Museum at Fort Leavenworth?

2. Remove Ads

Read the laws of the state.

You can probably figure out what your options are in about 10 miinutes.

Since both Forts Riley and Leavenworth are active US military bases, Kansas state laws are, as far as I can see, of no help - at least as covered by handgunlaw.com. I will see if the Kansas state website is of help. Thanks.

VIP Member
    That's correct, because they are Federal property the laws you need to be sure you are following are the Federal laws. I would advise you to simply give one, or both, a call and ask for their assistance. I'm sure you'll have to have a secure, lockable location to store the firearms at the very least, but they may not allow them on the property under any conditions.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

As a old MP from Ft Riley in the 70's not allowed on Fort at all.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whatever you do, stay clear of TX expat's place. Nothing but trouble there.
    TX expat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Whatever you do, stay clear of TX expat's place. Nothing but trouble there.
    Firearms are not only allowed at my place, they're darn near mandatory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigTzzy and GlockHawk17 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

PM
    Kansas law change July 1; gun buster signage is a request (ie no longer has power of law. Carry if you want; if carrying and asked to leave you must and you need to disarm before reentering or it is trespass.) NOW, you are dealing with FEDERAL LAW, which IIR is a AUOTMATIC NO CARRY ZONE. As long as your MI permit is legal in KS you are good to go in the state.
    BigTzzy and GlockHawk17 like this.

I work on Ft. Leavenworth (DAC) retired in 05, CC is a no go, there's signs on the gates as you come in.

Weapons are to be registered, locked in a case, and ammunition kept separate. A bunch of us transport weapons on/off constantly between hunting, shooting, and matches. As long as you follow the rules, don't "offer" any extra information, you'll be OK. As far as I know there is no clause written for visitors, most of the rules are geared towards permanent party, and civilians assigned or residing on the fort. Here's a clip from the weapons registration page:

Storing / Transporting Personal Weapons (Reference; AR 190-11 and CAC & FTLVN 190-11)
    For individuals residing on FT LVN weapons must be stored in either a Unit Arms Room or in family quarters if adequate security is
    provided. Locked gun cases and trigger locks are generally considered adequate. Weapons must be stored unloaded and all
    reasonable precautions will be taken to ensure weapons and ammunition are inaccessible to unauthorized persons and children.
    Weapons on post will be kept under double lock when not attended. One lock may be considered the quarter’s entrance door and the
    second lock may be a locked room, closet, or cabinet, or a locked container, trigger lock, locked cable, chain, or rod through the
    firearm’s guard or barrel.

Weapons can only be carried in a vehicle when traveling to and from authorized hunting, target practice, matches, or off post
    locations.

When transporting weapons, they must be secured in the vehicle's trunk or, if the vehicle doesn't have a lockable trunk, encased in
    such a manner that it's not readily accessible to the driver or passengers. Concealing a firearm in the glove compartment is not
    authorized.

Weapons must be transported unloaded and ammunition must be stored separately from the weapon.

The registration form must be readily available at all times while a weapon is located on FT LVN property.

Concealed weapon permits are not valid on FT LVN.

This form may be used as a temporary registration permit during the three business day period given to register the weapon(s).
    The form:

http://garrison.leavenworth.army.mil...-FormFinal.pdf

Weapons registration page with POC:

USAG Fort Leavenworth - USAG Fort Leavenworth

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Been awhile since I've been on a base, but last I knew, they had lockers here (one I'm near) that you could lock up your gun before going onto the base. Call the base #'s and just ask them.... they don't bite.

If you have other questions about Kansas.... let us know, and we can probably answer them. It's rather easy in Kansas..... in comparison to many other places with lists of where you can't carry, etc.
    BigTzzy likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links