WA to Arkansas, without disarming

This is a discussion on WA to Arkansas, without disarming within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is more of a "law check exercise" than any actual need. I often check the laws to see if I can drive from WA ...

Thread: WA to Arkansas, without disarming

WA to Arkansas, without disarming

This is more of a "law check exercise" than any actual need.

I often check the laws to see if I can drive from WA state to Arkansas, without having to disarm. And do so, with no chance of breaking the law. A few years ago, I could get almost all the way with only a short segment where it was not legal to carry.

Can't do it, yet, via the reciprocity laws. But it appears to be possible now, since more states honor other states permits, even though reciprocity doesn't apply.

MO and AR are reciprocity states. Looks like ID, MT, SD, IA honor other states permits, including WA.

I've been planning another road trip to AR (birth state). I've made the trip twice before but never carrying a weapon. Guess I'll have to check the details/specifics of each state, to make sure.

Nice to see more and more states lightening up on the carry laws.

PS: I usually go there by heading East and come back by heading West (which takes me through CO and/or WY or NM and there's when I hit a snag on the return trip. CO, WY and NM put up a huge wall and don't recognize WA.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if the AAA would consider, at the insistence of its members, providing route assistance under these criteria? 'Cause I'm quite sure asking the same from the AARP would result in... a warrant for my arrest.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If you can add the non-res Utah license, you'll gain another several mid-west and western states that'll make your cross-country travels a bit more safe. Might find that the turnaround time and effort is well worth the step.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you can add the non-res Utah license, you'll gain another several mid-west and western states that'll make your cross-country travels a bit more safe. Might find that the turnaround time and effort is well worth the step.
    I've actually considered doing just that. NV also has a good one, to add states.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

What is the issue here?

Going from WA to AR without disarming has been possible for years if one has a concealed carry permit. There are several routes that can take one through various states without having to make any type detours in order to get to your destination.

Go to USAcarry.com and click on either WA or AR. Look at the blue states that you have an option of going through.

OK, I may have to back track here a little. Looking at usacarry.com, it is entirely possible using any of several routes.

Using the WA legislature site (updated this year) says several states do not meet WA requirements and there is no agreement between the states.

Using the AR legislature site, there should not be a problem since AR recognizes states that WA does not appear to do so.
    Last edited by oldman45; September 15th, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Additional info
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

Links