Home Defense Pistol

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pistol within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's say you have 2 pistols, same platform, same sights, same feel, and you shoot them both dead even equally well but one holds 12+1 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Home Defense Pistol

Home Defense Pistol

Let's say you have 2 pistols, same platform, same sights, same feel, and you shoot them both dead even equally well but one holds 12+1 .40 cal and the other 19+1 9mm and you own numerous mags for both. You also have the same brand and type rounds for both. Which one would you choose as your Home Defense pistol, and why?

I find myself in this situation and I flip flop back and forth on the benefits and advantages considering capacity, over-penetration, etc. Where I live the houses are very close together with a lot of windows and sliding glass doors. The exterior walls are made of concrete block stucco exterior finish.

The actual brand of weapon and ammo doesn't really matter since in my case they are both the same. I'm looking for the thought process. Rather than contemplate the merits on my own, I know there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. I'm interested in your opinions and rationale with regard to relevance to Home Defense and not really a caliber war.

Thoughts?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I used to think the bigger caliber one until one night I thought I was having a real SHTF scenario and reached for the higher capacity 9mm. I surprised myself, because up until that very moment I thought I was a dyed-in-the-wool .45 guy.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

No one ever said they were glad they didnt have more ammo. The 9mm. Hands down.
    40Bob, Harryball, WC145 and 1 others like this.

All things being equal I would choose the 9mm with the higher capacity.

More rounds fired between reloads, typically lighter recoil for faster follow-up shots, and with quality SD ammo you aren't sacrificing a great deal in the "knock down power" department.

I had a similar issue myself choosing between 9mm and 10mm. 9mm won out largely based on the higher magazine capacity.

I would go with the 9mm for two reasons. I like more rounds and I like shooting 9 mm.

If you are at home and have plenty of mags for each the 40 makes sense.
    I guess it depends on your definition of "dead even".

If you can actually shoot as fast and accurate with the 40 & the 9 you are in rare company. Many shooters choose 9 simply because it is easier to shoot fast.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    9mm for sure with the extra rounds. You never know what kind of drugs the BGs are on when they break into your house.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I used to think the bigger caliber one until one night I thought I was having a real SHTF scenario and reached for the higher capacity 9mm. I surprised myself, because up until that very moment I thought I was a dyed-in-the-wool .45 guy.
    This is known as pucker insight.

It's clarifying.
    BugDude likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Have kind of same choice have SP101 with .357 and a CZ 75P01 with 14 9mm I would go for the CZ but that is only till my 870 comes out from under bed.

I would grab both guns... you never know if you might need them both... realistically I would grab whichever one came to hand first. Same platform, sights, etc... either will be a good choice and Im not going to waste time figuring it out when the SHTF
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

TVJ
    If you have glocks, you can get happy sticks (30+ round) mags that make ammo a moot point for either 9 or 40. So go bigger if you shoot the same with each.

I use 9mm at home. Given that I may have to act from deep sleep, Ill take the extra rounds.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

It's alright to have more than one home defense weapon. Put one in a kitchen cabinet or on top of a bookcase.
    squid86 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    What's a 'platform'? I always called them firearms.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I would keep both. If I were in that situation I would keep the 9mm in the bedroom nightstand and have the 40 out in the house somewhere, like a closet or something. If I could keep just one it would be the 9mm hands down. I would choose more holes over bigger hole.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If there is anyone else in the home that may be using the firearm, this may be something to consider. There is always a .40, in the bedroom, within easy reach of my wife.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links