This happened in Warren, MI today...

This is a discussion on This happened in Warren, MI today... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pretty gutsy old fellow... Warren homeowner shoots, chases robbery suspect; both in hospital A robbery gone awry in Warren on Tuesday has left the victim ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By knight65
  • 4 Post By AquaRaptor
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 4 Post By mkh
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: This happened in Warren, MI today...

Pretty gutsy old fellow...

Warren homeowner shoots, chases robbery suspect; both in hospital

A robbery gone awry in Warren on Tuesday has left the victim and suspect in the hospital, police said.

Around noon police received calls from three witnesses that a bloody man was running down the Interstate 696 service drive carrying a gun, said Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green.

Turns out that man, a 68-year-old, was chasing the suspect he had just shot in self-defense.

The incident started when a 40-year-old man arrived at the victim’s house claiming he wanted to purchase some gold or jewelry from the victim’s brother. When the homeowner told him his brother wasn’t there the man asked to wait inside, Green said.

“Once in the home the person produces a handgun announcing a robbery,” said Green, who believes the incident was not random.

While retrieving jewelry for the suspect the homeowner told him that he had more under his bed. Once in the bedroom the homeowner pulled out his gun and shot the suspect twice in the chest and once in the arm, Green said.

The homeowner said the suspect pistol-whipped him three or four times, causing big gashes during the struggle. Green said the victim told police he fought until he was exhausted because he thought he was going to die.

The suspect ran out into a waiting Mercury Marquis and he and the driver took off. The homeowner chased them to the nearby service drive where passersby saw him and called police.

The driver dropped the suspect off at St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital at 12 Mile and Hoover and drove away, Green said. He said police have leads on the identity of the driver.

The homeowner suffered some head injuries and may be released from a different hospital Tuesday, Green said. The suspect is in serious condition from the three gunshot wounds. He is expected to be charged with armed robbery and assault based on the victim’s injuries.

Charges are not expected against the homeowner.

“We’re pretty confident based on physical evidence and the interviews, this was a person inside his home that was being threatened with great bodily harm and he defended himself,” Green said.

From The Detroit News: Warren homeowner shoots, chases robbery suspect; both in hospital | The Detroit News

Sounds like his brother's buddy had his eye on robbing the house all along. I hope they catch the guys responsible. Warren isn't Detroit or Pontiac but it's still a rough town.

Here's my 3 takeaways:

1. The victim let a stranger inside his home. HUGE error. Even if the stranger claims to know/be a friend of someone you know, NEVER believe them, let alone bring them into your home.

2. The victim shot the suspect 3 times, including two in the chest, and there was STILL a fight/struggle. The suspect then still had the energy to flee and even survived the whole thing. People are a LOT more resilient than you may think.

3. The victim pursued the suspect. Another big mistake in my opinion. The threat was removed, no need to put yourself in danger by leaving your home. Shelter in place and contact emergency services. Let THEM pursue and detain the adrenaline-fueled armed threat that just survived 2 to the chest. They are trained and equipped to do so. The best action for all concerned is to simply keep your ego/temper in check and be a good witness.

Hopefully the homeowner recovers soon.
    RichB70, AquaRaptor and wester like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the homeowner's brother turned out to be the driver?! Hey, stranger things have happened!
    USM1976 likes this.

Two in the chest, one in the head works better than two in the chest, one in the arm.

VIP Member
    From article;

“We’re pretty confident based on physical evidence and the interviews, this was a person inside his home that was being threatened with great bodily harm and he defended himself,” Green said.

Sounds as though they will give the homeowner a no bill.
    I agree that he did many stupid things
    Tell would be customers to wait at the Mickey Dee's and you will call them when the "brother" shows up.
    Know who you are inviting into your home.
    It isn't 1965 anymore.
    Mikedare likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This is sad news, after last week losing a Dedicated Michigan State Policeman in the line of duty.. seems Michigan is becoming a hot spot for criminals.

mkh
    If you shoot the BG twice in the chest and once in the arm and he is still capable of pistol whipping you then it's time to rethink your pistol caliber or self defense load or something. Your current strategy isn't working.
    StevePVB, tdave, USM1976 and 1 others like this.

No one and I mean NO ONE gets into my house unless I know them personally. It's a short list.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    No one and I mean NO ONE gets into my house unless I know them personally. It's a short list.
    Same here...I don't even answer the door unless I'm expecting one of the few people I allow in my home.
    If guns kill people does that mean that pencils misspell words??

First mistake was letting him in second was not pulling the trigger till he was empty.

I answer the door because I don't want anyone to think the house is unoccupied. However I have a door still locked between us (security screen) and pistol out of sight but there,and usually a dog or two. Nobody's tried to force their way in yet. I did have one person ask me if I would put the dogs in the backyard while he came in to demonstrate his product. That was a no.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    "... I did have one person ask me if I would put the dogs in the backyard while he came in to demonstrate his product. That was a no."
    LOL... That's too funny.
    "Also, I'd be happy to hold your .45 & cell phone so you can more easily open the door to lose the dogs." LOL

I used to patrol Warren, MI at times, when I was an active Trooper and even did undercover work there as a sgt-det with the narc unit.
    It wasn't the best area a few decades ago and was part of our Detroit sector.
    Since the Crack/Meth outbreak of 1990 (can't unring THAT bell) there are no neighborhoods immune to the worst of crimes, period.

I retired to Mayberry in the Heartland where crime is not much of a problem, but my wife and I keep our sidearms within reach whenever we're home.
    Like 'oneshot' stated above, "It isn't 1965 anymore." anywhere.

"Charges are not expected against the homeowner."

I know we may not have the whole story. But statements like this burn me up. Not expected??? How about no chance?

Links