Four attempted burglaries in my neighborhood in the last month!!

Four attempted burglaries in my neighborhood in the last month!!

This is a discussion on Four attempted burglaries in my neighborhood in the last month!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little back ground first is in order I think. I live in a nice upper middle class area. The neighborhood has had a string ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Four attempted burglaries in my neighborhood in the last month!!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question Four attempted burglaries in my neighborhood in the last month!!

A little back ground first is in order I think. I live in a nice upper middle class area. The neighborhood has had a string of attempted burglaries in the last month. All attempts have failed and no one has made it into any homes. What worries me the most is they have all been in the daylight hours around 1500 hrs. They have mostly tried to kick in doors or pry open sliding glass doors. Everyone they have attacked thus far have had alarms which went off immediately. This worries me because my wife is home alone while I am at work. We have a well thought out plan and she carries a side arm with her at all times, but I want to ensure she has much time as possible. The purpose of this thread is to ask if anyone has ideas or experience with any types of devices to secure doors? (not sliding glass doors) I would like to secure my doors more to ensure it takes more then a swift kick to open them. I plan on making something to secure the door as I am an engineer and I think it would be a good project! Also, has anyone attempted to create a device to secure doors?

Thanks in advance!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Sounds to me like some local teen thugs haven't received their 'retirement papers' as of yet. If the little lady hears attempted entering noises, she should call 911 and prepare to do what she needs to do to protect the home front.

In 43 years, my wife has come around so far and so fast, that I think she'd beat me to the shot.

There's lots of this stuff...http://www.safetybasement.com/Home-S...ices-s/407.htm, but there's really only one last measure for someone determined to enter your 'castle'...the 'castle stopper' which is available in various calibers....357, 9 mm, .40, and .45 are among the most effective when used with a lead catapulting device...I prefer Glock.

Make sure that your wife has the 'mind set' for self preservation, the training with her firearm to hit the target, (and the plan for where to go in the house and how to call 911 so that the 'coroner' has the correct address). I added in that last part...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Katybar.com - take a look at how it's attached to the door frame.
    Kennydale likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would at least run some scenarios.

1. You go outside and go to each possible access point. Your wife is inside, carrying an air-soft pistol or her firearm with SNAP-CAPS. Triple check the firearm and remove all ammo from the room for this testing. You kick the door softly but enough to make noise. Your wife must come to the room area, find cover and prepare to return fire as you enter (you actually just open the door). Again use air-soft or a snap cap loaded fun. DO NOT point the gun at anyone but 'fire' toward the area.

2. If, in the process of the testing your wife finds that she does not have adequate cover (a piece of heavy furniture where she can still see the access point), then put something there to provide cover.

3. Look for other aspects that might show up as you run the scenarios. A safe room to retreat to, removal of shrubbery which might conceal someone trying to break in. You could even put up some kind of barricade (a fence?) outside a side door, making the burglars have to go through it and trip a motion sensor? Motion sensor air-horns. You want something to gain time or distance - an early warning.

4. Inside the home, beside arming your family, have other protections. An air horn, a couple cans of wasp spray, firearms hidden in strategic places (to allow reloads quickly by having a fresh firearm). Practice with these but safely.

HTH

There are things you can to to enhance the break-in resistance of the basic door, but just realize that something will ultimately give way when enough force is used.

- Use the sturdiest screws possible to secure your door hinges on both the jamb side and the door side. Typically, longer screws are necessary on the jamb side.
    - Add a reinforced strike plate to the door jamb, with long (like 2-3") screws that extend into the framing supporting the jamb.
    - A double-key deadbolt is an absolute must if your door has breakable glass near the doorknob and lock. But the caution here is to have a key close to the door to allow unlocking the deadbolt in case of emergency (e.g., fire). An elderly family friend was trapped due to a double-key deadbolt when his house caught fire; he was found dead of smoke inhalation right inside the front door with the bolt in place. I hang a key on a small brad within arm's reach of doors protected with double key deadbolts, and all occupants and overnight visitors know it's there.
    BlueHawk76 and JoJoGunn like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Armor Concepts Ultimate Door Security and Window Security - Sliding Door Locks

I've got their EZ Armor for the front door, and the sliding door deadbolt.

Ensure your door frame is up to the challenge. Not all are.

Replace all of the screws with proper, extra-long and stout screws -- ie, 3-1/2" (min), and larger/thicker/stronger Spax.

Ensure you've got a very good deadbolt, with a very long throw, 1" in size, and ensure you've got the plates in the frame stout enough to withstand kicks.

Consider one of those bars that fit under the handle area and wedge into the floor. Very simple, but it can dramatically raise the difficulty of kicking in the door.

Consider a storm/security type frame and door, all steel. If going this route, I'd recommend a dual-door, one with an all-steel screened outer door and a tough all-steel inner door. On a great frame, of course.

Consider installing simple warning beams/alarms around the entry areas, that'll give folks inside the home a bit of advanced warning people are at that spot. Can do motion sensors or beams/alarms, just to give a little buzz or ring to notify of proximity. Won't help much if the approach is instantly followed by kicking in the door, of course, but it can give you even a few extra seconds in most cases.

Carry, always. Always. Or, have sufficient weaponry nearby so that it be quickly deployed if need be.

Consider cameras, to get the cretins' faces on video. Can't catch them if you can't find them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There is no such thing as a "secure" or "nice" neighbourhood anymore. Especially with the substance abuse problems to which many people succumb. Here are some tips that I learned after being the victim of a burglary in December 2012 and losing 6 firearms to the thief.

One: Harden the doors, windows and any point to which the burglar may attempt to force his way in. They always look for the weakest points to exploit. Mine was a hollow core back door that was easily pried open.

Second : Get a gun safe. We passed on buying one a couple months before our burglary and hindsight is 20/20 to say the least. Guns are the most stolen item in a burglary. Especially to a drug addicted person, guns mean they can trade them to the dealer for the product they need.

Third: Install security cameras in your home. Just consider yourself a burglary victim already. I never felt that way and thought that it could never happen to me, but I was wrong. You are just a victim who has not become one yet. Having camera's in the home will show who the maggot is that broke in and that helps the Police to track them down for arrest and prosecution.

It is a sad day that we have to lock everything up, and make our Castles into real semi-impenetrable ones because of those who's substance abuse motivates them to invade your home and take everything they get their filthy hands upon.

I also carry my pistol a whole lot more just in case it happens again and this time, I happen to be there. This burglary has traumatized me. You feel violated and frustrated that you didn't take better precautions.

Good luck.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    In addition to the good advice above, have you spoken with your local PD?

We had a pretty much the same thing going on a few years ago, and they stepped up their patrols for a month. We had a patrol car cruising through several times a day, and the problem went way.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I also carry my pistol a whole lot more just in case it happens again and this time, I happen to be there. This burglary has traumatized me. You feel violated and frustrated that you didn't take better precautions.
    Good luck.
    Above all, this is truly important, but also a point that so many people don't do or others think you're a wacko for doing so. I'm almost always armed inside my home, walking around, eating dinner, on the computer, or even taking an afternoon nap...my gun is on my side. If it's off for some reason, it is within an arm's reach, always. I may just put a .380 in my pocket while cutting the grass, but my Glock is just inside the doorway. If company should drop by, I simply put on a cover shirt so no one discovers that their neighbor is always armed.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    All good advice.

I can add (Noise) is a great deterrent that will "sometimes" cause a burglar to flee.

(i.e) I have magnetic alarms on the doors and windows that sound a piercing siren at each point of entry.
    This has (2) benefits IMO

1) Might scare the intruder into leaving
    2 Alerts me to a unwanted presence
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "What worries me the most is they have all been in the daylight hours around 1500 hrs."

Noon to three is the most prominent timeframe for burglaries, when no one is likely to be home. It's not the middle of the night as many think. They knock, get no answer, and kick the door. Someone answers, they simply ask directions or make some lame offer.

Fences might make good neighbors, but they make excellent cover for burglars also. Fortify entry points as best you can and have an alarm. If the wife is home, tell her to not answer the door to any unexpected arrivals.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I can't add anything extra as far as securing entryway, but do you guys have a dog? A big dog can be an excellent deterrent to criminals. The fact that these guys have tried four times to rob a house and failed leads me to believe they aren't the most determined/experienced criminals. Some barking from the other side of the door might be enough to make them move on.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    A little back ground first is in order I think. I live in a nice upper middle class area. The neighborhood has had a string of attempted burglaries in the last month. All attempts have failed and no one has made it into any homes. What worries me the most is they have all been in the daylight hours around 1500 hrs. They have mostly tried to kick in doors or pry open sliding glass doors. Everyone they have attacked thus far have had alarms which went off immediately. This worries me because my wife is home alone while I am at work. We have a well thought out plan and she carries a side arm with her at all times, but I want to ensure she has much time as possible. The purpose of this thread is to ask if anyone has ideas or experience with any types of devices to secure doors? (not sliding glass doors) I would like to secure my doors more to ensure it takes more then a swift kick to open them. I plan on making something to secure the door as I am an engineer and I think it would be a good project! Also, has anyone attempted to create a device to secure doors?

Thanks in advance!!
    The door jamb armor products listed above work well, so don't engineer anything else. Links to two major aftermarket brands:

Strikemaster II

Door jamb Armor

I prefer that the first source is two pieces, lamination is good. They also have a french door solution I think will work well.

The second source has a sliding door lock that looks like it would work.

Of course with sliders and french doors, there's all that glass... Laminate the glass. It wont break.

Here's how (another link): DIY window security film
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Watch the topmost video on the right of the page. See how film works, what it stops.

Your neighborhood thieves must be amateurs... If they left right away, as soon as the alarm went off, they don't know much... A monitored alarm system usually causes a longer response time. They wait a couple of minutes before calling you to give the home owner enough time to disarm the alarm... Then, if they don't get a hold of you, they call 911... or maybe send their own security out (depending on the company). Of course, with many false alarms, LEO response can be a bit lackadaisical... And if you are the source of false alarms, you may be charged for response unless it's real.

Video is great!

Help me identify this guy:
    cat_burglar_.JPG

Go ahead and click the pic, it'll get bigger...

I think I've seen him before, used to be a tv star... I think his name was Casper something... remember him?

/sarcasm off./

Video has gotten better... but criminals now wear masks. sometimes they get stupid like one guy in this video... but until that happened, you couldn't have found any of these guys.

Bottom lines (IMO)?

Most cases, they're in the house in less than 3 seconds.

Most cases, they're out in less than 10 minutes.

Many cases, they are unidentifiable.

If you and/or your wife aren't armed all the time, even at home, on your person, not the side table; you are at greater risk (even being armed, you are at some risk tueller drill and all that, or drawing against the drop).

Buy time, keep them out longer, it gives you time to get set up for defense, circle the wagons as it were, get all defenders in position, and so on. And, if they can't get in in 3 seconds, they get discouraged, move on.

Good luck.
    Last edited by oakchas; September 24th, 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Addition of mention of video in a link
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I will give you a run down of our current level of security. Firstly, on all corners of the house we have flood lights with motion sensors. The backyard does have a privacy fence but there are two Australian Shepherds back there all the time. We have two gates both of which are secured and locked. (someone could jump them but it would be much more obvious) We have 3 exterior entrances which all are exterior doors 2 metal and the front is solid oak. Dead bolts that are keyed on both sides. Inside we also have a small barky dog. We have a good alarm system with glass breaks, door and window sensors. We both carry our side arms with us at all times(her and m&p 9c & me xdsc9). I just want to give her as much time to be prepared as possible. If I can give her or me 10 more seconds to prepare that would be great!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links