Pit Bull Attacks, Shot By Bystander

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Attacks, Shot By Bystander within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 17 year old girl attacked by pit bull...a few people intervened to help and one shot the dog. I have to admit that I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Pit Bull Attacks, Shot By Bystander

17 year old girl attacked by pit bull...a few people intervened to help and one shot the dog.

I have to admit that I was stunned that the police here didn't arrest someone or confiscate the weapon (even though it was a perfectly reasonable response to me). The police chief in Milwaukee isn't exactly a gun rights supporter.

Pit bull shot after attacking teen girl in Milwaukee
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Not every jurisdiction is against defending yourself with a handgun against a dog. I nearly found out about mine yesterday but it didn't come to that.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I'd be the same way, though. If I saw a dog attacking my child or another child or adult, I'd have no problem killing the dog. Just saying. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and have three of them, but I'd shoot all 3 if they were attacking a human and I couldn't get them off.

Distinguished Member
    It's sad. If the dog was trained correctly in the first place by a responsible owner then none of this would have happened. I hope the girl is ok, sure she is scared and will probably be scared of dogs for a long time.

IF they were to discipline the owners more than they do then this probably wouldn't happen as much.
    OD*, NONAME762, RichB70 and 4 others like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Just over the weekend a 2 year-old was mauled and killed by 4 pit bulls involved in a fight among themselves in my town. The child was at a babysitter's home along with several other children, and the sitter's 4 pit bulls got into a fight. The child was just in the middle of the fight, and if you've ever watch dogs fight, anything close is fair game. The babysitter (dogowner) herself was severely injured trying to break it up... but she was woefully unprepared.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thumbs down

In my whole life I had one friend who was a responsible pit bull owner. I've had a few other friends who owned pit bulls or Dobermans but none were as responsible as Dave was. Dave's dog Buck was the only pit bull I ever felt comfortable enough to turn my back on.

Most folks that own pit bulls or Dobermans or similar 'dangerous' dogs shouldn't ought to be allowed to own any kind of dog. A-Hole type personalities own animals with similar personalities. Capital punishment for BOTH when the animal mauls/kills another without justification. Just one man's opinion.
    Jeanlouise, darbo, tdave and 1 others like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Get out the popcorn, the Pit Bull lovers will be here in 3... 2... 1. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but this breed just cannot be trusted period. Most other breeds that "bite" people do just that, a bite. Pit Bulls are relentless and will not break off an attack once engaged. I'd sooner trust a Wolf.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Everyone knows someone who has a friend with a 'good' Pit Bull.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Get out the popcorn, the Pit Bull lovers will be here in 3... 2... 1. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but this breed just cannot be trusted period. Most other breeds that "bite" people do just that, a bite. Pit Bulls are relentless and will not break off an attack once engaged. I'd sooner trust a Wolf.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The evidence is clear: the only good pit bull is a dead one.
    GunTrooper likes this.

Just over the weekend a 2 year-old was mauled and killed by 4 pit bulls involved in a fight among themselves in my town. The child was at a babysitter's home along with several other children, and the sitter's 4 pit bulls got into a fight.
    What kind of parent has a baby sitter who lives in a home with four pitbulls?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Most folks that own pit bulls or Dobermans or similar 'dangerous' dogs shouldn't ought to be allowed to own [I] any kind of dog. A-Hole type personalities own animals with similar personalities.
    There's a lot of truth to that and those are the ones that cause the trouble. Pits are extremely muscular and have been bred for so many years to fight, that an owner has to work extra hard to make sure his dog is well behaved and trained. Unfortunately, the people who are most drawn to that breed are not the best owners.

I want to like Pits, I really do. They have sweet eyes and I have known several who are very nice. However, as much as I want to like and trust them, I never trun my back on them. You know...trust but verify.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    In my whole life I had one friend who was a responsible pit bull owner. I've had a few other friends who owned pit bulls or Dobermans but none were as responsible as Dave was. Dave's dog Buck was the only pit bull I ever felt comfortable enough to turn my back on.

Most folks that own pit bulls or Dobermans or similar 'dangerous' dogs shouldn't ought to be allowed to own any kind of dog. A-Hole type personalities own animals with similar personalities. Capital punishment for BOTH when the animal mauls/kills another without justification. Just one man's opinion.
    Having owned a Dobie Lady and having a Vet that has a houseful of sweet, lovable Pitts from rescues I am certainly relieved you excluded these breeds from your sweeping generalization.

Bad owners make bad dogs.

Bad owners should be sent to the Circus, Caligula style.
    OD*, Harryball and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Having owned a Dobie Lady and having a Vet that has a houseful of sweet, lovable Pitts from rescues I am certainly relieved you excluded these breeds from your sweeping generalization.

Bad owners make bad dogs.

Bad owners should be sent to the Circus, Caligula style.

I agree. It's all about the owner.

I love Dobermans. I had a friend who had the sweetest Doberman ever. He would crawl up on your lap and rest his chin on your shoulder if you sat on the sofa.

I also had some neighbors, when we lived in Texas, who had 2 of the meanest Dobermans ever. The owners kept them in their fenced backyard so they would guard the house. Unfortunately, when the got out, they would guard the whole street. Again, owners fault.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Any guesses which dog bites the most? Chihuahua. Yes, and by a lot also. So why do Pits get a bad rap? Because when they attack they can kill. At a parade a couple of years ago this guy had to two pits, they were sitting there relaxed, but everyone was avoiding getting near him. He was right near the road and my kids wanted to see what was going on. I asked him if it was okay if the kids sat next to his dogs. He said sure. The only threat those dogs were to the kids was that they might have licked them to death. The two year old ended up falling asleep on on of them.

No dog in inherently dangerous, they are taught to be that way. A well socialized dog, would never consider attacking a kid.

Whatever lack of discipline, misunderstanding, fear and aggression we harbor within our personalities will be reflected in the personalities of our dogs.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links