Securing doors and windows

This is a discussion on Securing doors and windows within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; reaching a point in my home defense planning where im realizing if someone really wanted to enter my house it would be easy. My front ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Securing doors and windows

Securing doors and windows

reaching a point in my home defense planning where im realizing if someone really wanted to enter my house it would be easy.

My front door is wood with two 'pillar' windows on either side. I have a raised ranch, so my basement is really not a basement. That door to the back is wood, and about half of it is glass (window).

neither are dead bolted, both could probably be kicked in regardless. My basement has alot of ground level windows that Im not really sure how to secure. If someone breaks in mid night i want it to be tough enough to give time to react. I do have a security system but its not active because i really really really HATE ADT and the $60 a month charge

So what do yall do to secure doors and windows? whats enough? would just deadbolts and this 3Mfilm be enough ? new steel doors make a difference?

There have been a lot of break-ins in my town
    miller_man likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I BoughtSensors from Walmart you can also get them at Home Depot that if you kick the window or break the window or open the window they go off very loud. they're made by Doberman and are pretty inexpensive
    Alex_C likes this.
    SA XDM Compact 9mm...that's my edc.... now proud owner of a ruger lcp
    And a Ruger 10/22......
    Jan 2012- got myself a mosin
    To be purchased next in unsure orderr: shotgun, ar, .45(1911 and other), revolver

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have a 150 lbs dog that does not like people he does not know. That is how I secure my house. Yes, someone could come in through my sliding glass door, but then they start loosing body parts they would most likely prefer to keep. Thieves go for easy targets, a big dog puts your house way down on the list.

The trick is not to stop entry, it is either to discourage them from trying to break into your house or give you enough time if you are home to defend yourself and your family. Think of your planning in those ways and you will come out just fine.
    tdave and BadgerJ like this.

If you're really wanting to fortify, you need to replace those doors. Glass is easy to break. 3M film might help, but once they realize it's there they can just break the window and cut the film. Might even be quieter.

Replace the doors, install deadbolts, think about installing something like a StrikeMaster door/frame reinforcement. 3M film for the windows might be a good idea, but you can also get some cheap stick-on vibration sensor/alarms at Wal-Mart, Home Depot and the like. I have them on windows at my home that I think would be easiest to get through. Big dog helps a lot.

Here's my opinion on alarms. I have one in my rent house that I fixed up. All windows and doors alarmed. If it goes off while I'm at home, I probably don't need monitoring. The combination of alarm and dog will wake me up, I'll hunker down and call the cops and defend my home. If I'm not home and someone breaks in they have something like 45 seconds to guess my code before the alarm goes off. Assuming I have it monitored the alarm company will them have to get the alert and respond by calling the primary number, we'll give that a minute, and I'm being generous. They call the cops and it takes about a minute to relay the pertinent information, again being generous. 3 minutes for police to show up. That's over 5 minutes, almost 6, and I think I'm being nice.

Most studies will tell you that the average burglary lasts 6 minutes or less. Break the door, grab the obvious stuff, maybe rifle through a couple common hiding spots, then get out. If there's no alarm they might stay longer, might not. Personally I don't see the benefit of having an alarm monitored unless there are extenuating circumstances such as a physical disability, potential medical issues etc.
    kerberos and miller_man like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgcole View Post
    reaching a point in my home defense planning where im realizing if someone really wanted to enter my house it would be easy.

My front door is wood with two 'pillar' windows on either side. I have a raised ranch, so my basement is really not a basement. That door to the back is wood, and about half of it is glass (window).

neither are dead bolted, both could probably be kicked in regardless. My basement has alot of ground level windows that Im not really sure how to secure. If someone breaks in mid night i want it to be tough enough to give time to react. I do have a security system but its not active because i really really really HATE ADT and the $60 a month charge

So what do yall do to secure doors and windows? whats enough? would just deadbolts and this 3Mfilm be enough ? new steel doors make a difference?

There have been a lot of break-ins in my town
    As far as basement windows, I have ones like the picture below (if they are not standard sized windows) with a motion detector in the basement. Good luck kicking one of those in.

Glass-Block-Basement-Windows-The-Variant-300x200.jpg
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

First off, get a good set of locks. Then reinforce the metal plates that the locks go into on the frame. The wood door is not the weak point. It's the frame where the hinges and door strikes are attached. They are attached with tiny screws that go 1" deep into the door frame. Install a security deadbolt with a long throw. Have an additional metal backing plate behind the door frame that attaches to the wood framing behind the door frame. Use 3.5"-4" lag bolts to mount the door strike plates so that they too are mounted into the framing behind the door frame. I also install long bolts/screws on my hinges to give them extra bite into the framing of the house. You would be amazed how easy it is to kick in a normal entry door and how they are typically installed.

Your alarm system should funtion as a stand alone system without monitoring. Mine is set up that way with loud sirens etc... This may require a little reprogramming and you will need to know the installer code to get into the programming. Most systems have a standard code for that particular system etc... This gives a loud warning when a window or door is breached to give you more warning when home.

Security system yard signs and good lighting make a huge difference too. Get rid of all hiding spots like tall bushes around your home. Criminals will choose the house that they think is the easiert target. Make it seem less inviting to a criminal and they will most likely pass you by for another house.
    kerberos and OnePlink like this.

VIP Member
    You will never keep all people out of your home , they want in they will get in . Like some people here said you have to have barriers to get past , Dogs , alarms , cameras ,signs ,locks

But if you look at what the community you live in does just do alittle better and most likely they will pass you up.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thanks for all the tips. I'm just trying to give myself a chance to defend if someone tries while sleeping.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anything you do is only as effective as the determination of the person trying to enter, and that includes any dog. Someone determined to get in will get in. What you most likely need to defend against is the teen or druggie looking for a quick score, the in and out in 5 minutes type.

Glass in doors is tough to secure. Double key deadbolts will help but only if the jams are beefed up. The most common manner of entry is kicking the door (Mine was). Windows can be beefed up to prevent opening even if the lock is tripped. Kits are available for both. Sliding doors are problematic at best. Doors that open outward have the hinges on the outside. Easy to pop the pins and pull the door out if not tack welded.

The majority of break-ins are when no one is home. Have an alarm system with a good monitoring system. Mine calls me right away when I inadvertently set it off, even if I use the correct code. Dogs are great at alerting you to strangers and may keep the kids out. Won't stop a determined pro who does it for a living. That kind is near impossible to stop, but in reality, most of us here don't have what the pros are seeking. They're not wasting their time on a stinking DVR and flat-screen TV.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm just trying to give myself a chance to defend if someone tries while sleeping.

Make your bedroom door a barrier and keep it secured at night. A dog would help here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Anything you do is only as effective as the determination of the person trying to enter, and that includes any dog. Someone determined to get in will get in. What you most likely need to defend against is the teen or druggie looking for a quick score, the in and out in 5 minutes type.

Glass in doors is tough to secure. Double key deadbolts will help but only if the jams are beefed up. The most common manner of entry is kicking the door (Mine was). Windows can be beefed up to prevent opening even if the lock is tripped. Kits are available for both. Sliding doors are problematic at best. Doors that open outward have the hinges on the outside. Easy to pop the pins and pull the door out if not tack welded.

The majority of break-ins are when no one is home. Have an alarm system with a good monitoring system. Mine calls me right away when I inadvertently set it off, even if I use the correct code. Dogs are great at alerting you to strangers and may keep the kids out. Won't stop a determined pro who does it for a living. That kind is near impossible to stop, but in reality, most of us here don't have what the pros are seeking. They're not wasting their time on a stinking DVR and flat-screen TV.
    What kind of security system do you have?

I have a brinks system installed but not on that I'm thinking about repurposing just to a monitoring device that doesnt call out. It is a cellular system ....I wonder if I could have it call me

What kind of security system do you have?

I have a brinks system installed but not on that I'm thinking about repurposing just to a monitoring device that doesnt call out. It is a cellular system ....I wonder if I could have it call me

You would probably have to install a third party dialer and pay for the sim card service yourself. They are out there. But you can have anyone or any company monitor it for probably about the same price. Look online for different options when it comes to monitoring service. I installed my own alarm system and just called a local alarm company to purchase the monitoring service. I looked into a third party dialer to install and just have it dial me. But the active sim card was not that much cheaper than having someone monitor it for me.

VIP Member
    You don't need a big dog. Just one to alarm you while u sleep or in other parts of the house. Then ur SD gun comes into play.

If ur away from home have a alarm system and ur valuables locked in a good heavy safe. This is how I do it...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Chamberlin garage door people go to their web site have inexpensive black box you keep in your house you can use up to 5 sensors around your hse each one shoots a invisible beam 88 feet any thing crosses it the box beeps . Only 60 bucks comes with one sensor buy extras for 20 bucks whole thing is wireless works great.

So, I think you need to think of your overall goal here. Are you trying to make your home a less desirable target for thieves or are you trying to secure it from a possible invasion (either a general threat or a specific one like someone you know may come looking for you)?

The reason I ask (and you don't need to answer) is that if you have a specific threat that wants YOU, then you need to really fortify the doors and windows in some way. If you are looking to make your house less desirable, then things like motion lights around your house will do well. Also, thorny bushes around windows and other soft points may be a better option than trying to fortify the windows to the extent that a baseball bat or swift kick won't break them.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links