Dog defense

This is a discussion on Dog defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What type of guard dog(s) do you find the most appealing for your home?...

View Poll Results: I prefer a breed that...

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • is aggressively vocal.

36 35.64%
  • is a silent guardian. Will attack without warning(only if needed).

15 14.85%
  • barks but doesn't bite.

30 29.70%
  • any breed with huge stopping power is good.

13 12.87%
  • No dogs. I want to handle it myself.

7 6.93%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Dog defense

Dog defense

What type of guard dog(s) do you find the most appealing for your home?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Shortly after moving back from Germany (military stepfather), we rescued a female bullmastiff. She was the most gentle dog I've ever met- and I only ever heard her growl or bark once. And it was NOT a 'warm and cozy' sound; even from the safe side of the dog. Roughly 90lbs of 'get off my lawn', and still would let a 3 year old try to ride her like a horse. Best dog ever.
    BamaT and pgrass101 like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I currently have American Akita's. They are known as a quiet storm. About the only noise they'll make is a little whine if they really want to get after something. Other than that, they are very quiet dogs. They even hunt in absolute silence. They will come and get me if they can't handle or get at something on their own. To me, they are highly preferable. They don't disrupt the entire neighborhood or ruin the element of surprise. Needless to say, they are extremely capable dogs whom have a long and hard fight nature. I am considering German Rottweiler's in the future, but Akita's may be my breed of choice for decades to come.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I want "Barks but may bite" as an option. Mostly I want the dog to be a deterrent, not necessarily an active part of the defense once that is required.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Shortly after moving back from Germany (military stepfather), we rescued a female bullmastiff. She was the most gentle dog I've ever met- and I only ever heard her growl or bark once. And it was NOT a 'warm and cozy' sound; even from the safe side of the dog. Roughly 90lbs of 'get off my lawn', and still would let a 3 year old try to ride her like a horse. Best dog ever.
    Yes sir. Great guard dogs. They were in the running for me when I was educating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I want "Barks but may bite" as an option. Mostly I want the dog to be a deterrent, not necessarily an active part of the defense once that is required.
    Can I edit a poll?
    dangerranger likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I want a dog that will alert me. Forewarned, I can take care of myself in most any situation I will encounter at home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Agree Old Vet. To me they're an intelligent alarm system that has the ability to investigate and offer resistance if necessary. I have a Blue Heeler, and she's as smart as a stupid person.
    Rock and Glock and pgrass101 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I checked "any dog with huge stopping power", with stopping power defined as loud barking and an intimidating size, but yet an important family member that likes kids and 'welcomed' guests.
    That said, my 140#+ Irish Wolfhound and our 120#+ Rhodesian Ridgeback have strangers standing back, but they really love people and adore kids.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dachshunds. They were bred as hunting hounds, have a good throat for howling on them, louder than youd expect for a dog their size, and are extremely protective of the family.
    wdbailey likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Agree Old Vet. To me they're an intelligent alarm system that has the ability to investigate and offer resistance if necessary. I have a Blue Heeler, and she's as smart as a stupid person.
    That's not saying much, so am I.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I prefer border collies, that being said, the last thing a BG should worry about breaking into my home is the dogs.
    bigdogtx likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'm a cat person.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'm a cat person.
    May God have mercy on your soul.

I chose "barks but doesn't bite." I guess it's a plus if they give me a warning, or if their barking is a deterrent, but I don't want them anywhere near the threat. My dogs are my family: I protect them, they don't protect me.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geneticgamer View Post
    May God have mercy on your soul.
    I've had quite a few dogs in the past. They cannot be relied on for security purposes, and are in general, very easily distracted unless you have them trained as a fighting dog, which I abhor anyway. You'd actually be surprised at how sensitive a cat is to anything it doesn't know. Mine will scatter if anything they don't recognize occurs, and they do so noisily, but in regards to security, my alarm system does a much better job than any pet would.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links