Your Plan for SHTF? Prep and Stay / Prep and Go / Minimal Prep & Forage/Force?

This is a discussion on Your Plan for SHTF? Prep and Stay / Prep and Go / Minimal Prep & Forage/Force? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is often a lot of discussion about basic prepping (especially on Defensive weapons and ammo) here. This quesion is a bit broader. The answer ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: Your Plan for SHTF? Prep and Stay / Prep and Go / Minimal Prep & Forage/Force?

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Your Plan for SHTF? Prep and Stay / Prep and Go / Minimal Prep & Forage/Force?

There is often a lot of discussion about basic prepping (especially on Defensive weapons and ammo) here. This quesion is a bit broader.

The answer for each will depend on where you live, and your access to either nature's resources, or urban available resources.

Are you one of us people who are laying in the key stuff to be totally isolated, or are you just laying in enough defensive power and short term goods and counting on waiting it out a bit in a hide position, then going out and just collecting what you can find/forage/take, even if through use of force? Or, as an option, what is your hybrid plan of a combination of each.

Edit Add: Please feel free to add any links to useful sites. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I prep for weather and job loss. If we have a true SHTF zombies running around event there is no way most people will be able to stay in there homes if in or close to a populated place. I don't care how good you think your defensive are, a well placed bomb or car on fire will wreak havoc on even the best built home. I also have no illusions about packing up all my food and ammo and venturing to the hills. Face it in a real SHTF deal its going to be bad and short of having a castle or fort with a few hundred people to defend it most people will be displaced doing what they need to do to survive.
    KoB, Scramble4a5 and DrJekell like this.

My wife's handicapped. I'm not going to bug out and tell her to play nice with the looters while I'm gone! Looking at moving down to AZ. Kids, grand kids, cousins nephews nieces in laws etc. Great mix of skill sets knowledge, abilities and resources. Have supplies at home`and keep home secure. Not to mention grand kids are the bomb!

Heck, look what is going on in DC as we speak. We might have a default on our debt. Wouldnt that be like what Iceland did? It only took days for the shelves in the stores there to empty of everyday items like soap, toilet paper, etc.

I think for social unrest that I would stay put. I can fell trees, do a number of other things to keep people out of my area. The roads will not be a friendly place.

We're staying put...we have all we need.
    I believe that by hanging together with a few neighbors we can last for quite a while without help from anyone outside our circle.

Unless I could drive close by...to a 'hidden bunker', I fail to see where those who choose to 'bug out' are headed to anything but gridlock.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personally, that's one of the reasons I bought a little slice of heaven in the country. Whether it be an economic collapse, hyper-inflation, a man made or natural disaster, urban environments closely followed by suburban areas will be hit the hardest IMO. The asphalt jungle will be no place to be in hard times as history and many recent events will attest.

Via distance and attrition country areas will not see the full brunt of any apocalypse but still subject to hoards of unwanted and un-friendly people most likely. Individuals occupying such homesteads with only their wife and maybe a child or two don't stand much of a chance if a crowd of armed criminals decide they want what you may or may not have. Most country folks will not move in with each other for the benefit of additional security and a collective defense, so eventually when the undesirables reach you you're probably going to meet Mr. Easy Pickens.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I'm not planning for zombies. I do have two plans... one for sheltering in place, and one for bugging out. My firearms are devided between fun/unique firearms, and working guns. I also strongly believe in redundancy.

Depending on the crisis I will adapt my existing plans to fit. If sheltering in place is the best option I know I cant do it alone. In an extreme situation people will take one of three paths. Not always the most obvious. Some people will revert to being sheep. They will wait until some government entity comes along to save them, feed them, and protect them. IMO these people are the speed bump that will buy me some time to get my snit together. These people will be the ones to demand that I share my preperations with them. They will be the ones that demand I take them in. Most likely they will be those who believe they are the intelligent ones who should be in command. It's better for me and people who think like me to let them be eaten (Taken advantage of)... or event I may have to feed (Take advantage of) them for my own survival.

The second goup will be a combination or predators, and those who will become predators. These people should IMO be put down as quickly and by the most cruel, and bizzare means possible. Included would be those who preach aggression against others based on religion, race, national origion, or any other reason that they imagine.

The third group would be those who respond with common sense. There will be no survival without cooperation. We'd have to make stew. Everyone should contribute to the effort of survival. This may require sharing resorces. The larger and more diverse the group the more likely the survival. Living in Florida shaped my survival opinions. If I was living in NY still... I'd probably just bent over real hard and kiss my butt goodby.

As I said I believe that cooperation will be the order of the day. For me to survive my neighbors in my gated apartment community would have to work together. (It could happen) In theory I would have enough firearms to arm a squad sized element for security. We have enough planting space to plant gardens. WE have access to water that will need to be distilled. We have access to wooded area for fire fuel. We'd probably have to eat snakeheads... (anyone know if they are edible?) We'd have to form a foraging team and liberate seeds, and some livestock. We have the space to shelter other like minded, prepared and emotionally stable people. WE have a physical space to set up a trading post to get things we cant find in foraging.

I have survived several weather emergencies. Florida is one of thise places that if it dont break you it WILL make you stronger. We do bad weather on a regular basis. Most common way to deal with them is Bacanal. The first 24 hrs is really not that big a deal. After 24 hrs the criminal element may start taking advantage. 48 hrs brings out the criminal in some that would not otherwise act that way. Being armed with fantacy guns is almost a must. BTW it is a good time to wear tac-vests.

VIP Member
    I ain't leaving. I'm very rural, and I don't want to go around too many other people. We'll do our best here, I can't think of many other better places I can hold out.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I prep for weather and job loss. If we have a true SHTF zombies running around event there is no way most people will be able to stay in there homes if in or close to a populated place. I don't care how good you think your defensive are, a well placed bomb or car on fire will wreak havoc on even the best built home. I also have no illusions about packing up all my food and ammo and venturing to the hills. Face it in a real SHTF deal its going to be bad and short of having a castle or fort with a few hundred people to defend it most people will be displaced doing what they need to do to survive.

Only proble there is there will be a LOT of people in the hills, most clueless. I have 6 months food,2 months water ( access to plenty more in pond) guns, ammo, blankets. I live here and if it is in the cards die here.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

I plan on staying put.I have very good neighbors.We are in a rural area,but my biggest concern is that I will be in the city when TSHTF.Getting all the family together is also a concern.The fact that I ccw is a big plus and I drive a mean Dodge.
    Patti likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

We have land in NH away from everyone with back up generators and plenty of fuel, food, and necessities. In a true SHTF scenario I think living in NH would be better than in the south (nobody is going north in the winter LOL, plenty of water, fish and game, and land to grow food). We also have land in TX just in case we get stuck there. Not as stocked up yet, but getting there.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Unless a natural disaster forces us from our home, we are staying put. We have a big garden, 2 dairy cows, a small herd of Black Angus, chickens and turkeys. As a part-time Deputy, if it falls into the pot, I will be out helping maintain law and order in our County, but my family will be well-heeled enough to take care of themselves if need be.......

On edit: and horses, how can I forget the horses???
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; October 14th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

It all really depends on when and where I am at the time. I'm hoping I'll have the luxury of being at my spot when it does HTF. If not, may the Lord watch over me while trying to get there.
    Patti, Tzadik and tdave like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

No matter what I was doing, I sure wouldn't broadcast it on a public forum on the internet. You never know who is listening.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Glock 22 & 26
    Rem 870 S&W Mod 66
    Minnesota Permit-to-Carry Instructor
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I am planning to stay put as I have no place else to go. I have started thinking of options for bugging out, but nothing certain yet. I don't have delusions of fending off well armed hordes, but small roving packs we can shelter in place and be okay. I am still acquiring food and work on my preps every week. I have almost no outdoor skills and have started learning some of those in the event we have to leave.
    Patti and Bad Bob like this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links