Why you always have something handy because begging may not cut it.

This is a discussion on Why you always have something handy because begging may not cut it. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dispatcher heard homicide victim begging for his life - KOAM TV 7 So sad. Prayers out to his family....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why you always have something handy because begging may not cut it.

Why you always have something handy because begging may not cut it.

2. Remove Ads

Don't trust in the mercy of those who have none.

Yup- I always have something in my pocket, unless I am sleeping in bed or in the shower.
    ArmyCop likes this.

This world...

VIP Member
    Horrible.

Now on to the LEO statements.

Here is one of the earlier reports;
    (IN THE SAME LINK)
    UPDATED October 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM: At the news conference Sheriff Ken Copeland said Jeffrey Slama, 58, of 2806 Insbrook Lane in Joplin, called 911 and told dispatch somebody had broken into his home. As units were dispatched the dispatcher could hear Slama plead with the suspect not to shoot him. A few minutes later the dispatcher heard the gunshot.

Upon arriving at the residence, Sheriff Copeland says they found the front door open and Slama's body inside.

Sheriff Copeland says Slama died of an apparent gunshot wound but says an autopsy will be conducted in Springfield.

Officers spoke with some workman working on a roadway nearby and were told a little black car had left the area at a high rate of speed.

Sheriff Copeland says they've since learned of home invasions in Barry County where a white male driving a little black car was seen.

The sheriff says anyone, especially those in rural and secluded areas, who've seen anyone in a little black car "prowling in the area"
    and have more information to contact the Newton County Sheriff's Office -417-623-6682.

Notice they say , "learned of home invasions in Barry Co."

Then HERE; in an updated story (ON THE SASME PAGE)

UPDATED October 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM: Newton County Sheriff Ken Copeland says it appears the victim, 58-year-old Jeffrey Slama, was found just inside the home's front doorway.

Police believe this incident is an isolated attempted burglary.

"In all probability, this person didn't want to be identified. That's why he killed the resident. My guess, from 30 years of experience, I would say that he's long gone from that area and probably wouldn't return to that area," says Copeland.

Are they(the police) wrongfully trying to downplay something here?

They knew a WHITE guy was home invading with a LITTLE BLACK CAR.

Then they say after that is known, that it appeared "isolated" and that "He's probably long gone from that area, and probably won't return"

WTH?
    Aceoky and StormRhydr like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Why is it that someone is lying in a big puddle of blood with a gaping wound in their chest or maybe half of their head blown away and they need an autopsy to determine cause of death?

Strong Union?
    Old Sarge likes this.

The original 911 call indicates the resident knew someone had broken into the home. It's classed as a burglary. Sounds more like a home invasion to me.

All the obvious precautions apply, of course:

• Harden the entry points, buying time.
    • Have one or more decent-sized dogs inside, to assist in buying time, warning.
    • Have early-warning mechanisms outside, warning of intrusion onto the property.
    • Have suitable arms close at hand.
    • Have a plan for dealing with home invasions (ie, "safe" room, an ensconced position with "funnel" access that can be easily covered, ...).
    • Have a backup plan (ie, escape out a back door or window if running out of ammo).
    • Have a rapid means of contacting the cavalry (ie, a monitored alarm system with 'panic/robbery' type buttons).

Sad situation. The guy found out the hard way that not all violent felons can be reasoned with, bargained with. You never know what the "juice" is for the felon in question ... power trip, street cred, the "stuff" in the house, rape or kidnapping, or some combination.
    StormRhydr and tdave like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Why is it that someone is lying in a big puddle of blood with a gaping wound in their chest or maybe half of their head blown away and they need an autopsy to determine cause of death?

Strong Union?
    Because they're idiots.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

It is always sad to see someone who has been told the POLICE will protect you, just call 911.

I spent decades in LE and rarely, if ever, got there in time to stop a burglary, rape, homicide, or other violent crime resulting in death.
    These political idiots that spout this garbage should pay the same price as those who believed their ridiculous lives.

I know it doesn't look good for me when I was LEO, but the simple truth is, PEOPLE are responsible for their own safety, the safety of their loved ones and especially, their dependents.
    During my career, I have seen many 'Anti-Gun-Liberal', Soccer-Moms who were raped, folks who had children, spouses, etc., killed in robberies, burglaries and Home-Invasons.

Then, usually, after its too late, they realize they need to acquire a firearm and learn how to use it.
    It is very sad to see people's tragic losses. Even worse after some crackpot Politician they trusted, said 'Calling 911' would keep them safe.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Strong Union?
    Evidence for an eventual trial, covering up actual cause of death,

They (LE) will want to not scare people even though they should be scared, so they will downplay an individual willing to kill roaming about as long as they can.

When was the last time you ever read about LE warning of a serial killer in an area until knowing there was one for months and news crews finally making it impossible to hide to any longer????

911 is the clean up crew, not the stop the problem crew. Its usually always over long before they ever get there.
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    It is always sad to see someone who has been told the POLICE will protect you, just call 911.

I spent decades in LE and rarely, if ever, got there in time to stop a burglary, rape, homicide, or other violent crime resulting in death.
    These political idiots that spout this garbage should pay the same price as those who believed their ridiculous lives.

I know it doesn't look good for me when I was LEO, but the simple truth is, PEOPLE are responsible for their own safety, the safety of their loved ones and especially, their dependents.
    During my career, I have seen many 'Anti-Gun-Liberal', Soccer-Moms who were raped, folks who had children, spouses, etc., killed in robberies, burglaries and Home-Invasons.

Then, usually, after its too late, they realize they need to acquire a firearm and learn how to use it.
    It is very sad to see people's tragic losses. Even worse after some crackpot Politician they trusted, said 'Calling 911' would keep them safe.
    I hear that argument all the time, they are all but impossible to reason with. 911 and the police are infallable.

Same with the "Only the police and military should have access to guns" crowd.

Gee. Like the communist countries and Nazi Germany? I can't plumb the depths of that insanity.

Starsnbars
    Deo Vindice!
    We warned you in 1862!

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Yup- I always have something in my pocket, unless I am sleeping in bed or in the shower.
    Some gal a few months ago was concerned she couldn't defend herself while showering. She opted for a SS revolver. Now she is unconcerned having a piece in every room in her house.

I'll just bet she drives a monster 4x4 too.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Strong Union?
    Job security.
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Some gal a few months ago was concerned she couldn't defend herself while showering. She opted for a SS revolver. Now she is unconcerned having a piece in every room in her house.

I'll just bet she drives a monster 4x4 too.

I want to meet this girl and have her give my wife some lessons in survival.
    NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links