Could your home security system help...

This is a discussion on Could your home security system help... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...solve another crime in your neighborhood? Maybe, but not if LEO ignores it... Strangers try to sell couple "security system." They already have one, and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Could your home security system help...

Could your home security system help...

...solve another crime in your neighborhood?

Maybe, but not if LEO ignores it...

Strangers try to sell couple "security system." They already have one, and the "salesmen" start asking "odd"questions.

Within days, a neighbor lady is beaten and robbed in a home invasion, by "security salesmen."

First couple notifies police...they have footage of the possible perps.. Cops ignore.... Oooops!

Story: Woman may have video of suspect, frustrated police never looked at it | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Seems the Vancouver, WA Police Dept has some serious issues. I never had an 'excuse' that allowed me to wait a couple weeks to look at potentially viable evidence in a serious, violent case. The perps could do a LOT of damage in two weeks+.

A Home-Invasion is a High Priority case and they cannot be allowed to wait until the next day. I have seen PDs disbanded and replaced for poor service to the other citizens and also, for harassing the citizens they serve.
    It is NOT a difficult process and the citizens are always completely in charge of their PD.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Strangers try to sell couple "security system" ...
    Can't imagine having any salesmen beyond the front stoop. Can't imagine ever allowing someone inside to review my security prep/posture who I haven't contacted myself. Ad-hoc pitches for new security systems? Yeah, right.

Explore such services myself, if I myself deem I need them.
    Research references prior to ever contacting such a group in the first place.
    Ensure they're licensed and bonded.
    Perhaps even chat with the owner about their hiring/monitoring policies.

By all means, avoid no-name visitors without known background, without known licensing/bonding, without references, without me initiating the contact. Anyone not appreciating this is a potential threat to me and mine, unless proved otherwise.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I had my work van broken into (window smashed) and a GPS stolen. The police didn't even come out to look, but several years later they came over and told me I had to take down my security camera. Seems an ordinance was passed banning them, reason I was told was drug dealers could use them to watch out for the cops. The only one they made me take down was the one on my radio tower that really only had a decent view of my patio in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The police didn't even come out to look, but several years later they came over and told me I had to take down my security camera. Seems an ordinance was passed banning them, reason I was told was drug dealers could use them to watch out for the cops.
    Which has nothing to do with you. Can't imagine that was a lawful order, or ordinance. And with "lipstick" style cameras so unobtrusive and effective, it's hard to imagine any burning need to comply with such unlawful dictates. What they don't know won't hurt them. And whatever criminals do elsewhere won't hurt us or our hired staff, no matter how much they wish it to.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

With a few cops doing more and more illegal stuff these days, having a camera is a smart move. Catch them on tape and when they lie in court show the video.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which has nothing to do with you. Can't imagine that was a lawful order, or ordinance. And with "lipstick" style cameras so unobtrusive and effective, it's hard to imagine any burning need to comply with such unlawful dictates. What they don't know won't hurt them. And whatever criminals do elsewhere won't hurt us or our hired staff, no matter how much they wish it to.
    Mr CCW9mm said it so much better than I ever could. My answer is basically the same however I wouldn't have said it as nicely. (Here's where I hope the Mods will take me with a 50# bag of salt) Who cares what the cops want? They work for us, they work FOR YOU!! Camera's don't even look like camera's anymore, get some of these!!

Plus what post 6/Sgt 45 said of there being a few bad apples in the barrel stand watching. After the judge sees the video evidence lets see the bad apples lie their way out of that.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links