Going Old School

Going Old School

This is a discussion on Going Old School within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the case of social unrest/SHTF, how do you protect protect yourself & family? This is a gun site, so lots of people immediately think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Going Old School

Going Old School

In the case of social unrest/SHTF, how do you protect protect yourself & family? This is a gun site, so lots of people immediately think of guns. Which isnt a bad idea, but I know Id rather avoid gun fights, than get in one. Certainly if I can safely avoid it. And Im sure everyone else here feels the same.

I think its a good idea to take some supplemental actions to make it more likely that people would want to avoid me and mine, at our location. And with that in mind, I keep coming back to old school things. VERY old school.

The Romans used to ring their encampments with limbs from thorn trees. It worked back in the day, and it would work now. Thorns would pop an ATV tire, and go thru boots. Not too many people are going to want to try to run through those, and they would probably cry out, thus alerting you to an intruders presence.

The Romans would also concentrate their decorating on the INSIDE of their villas, and let the outside look run down. Ie looters couldnt judge the wealth contained inside, by the outside. I dont mean we should let our properties run down NOW, but its something to consider in a SHTF situation. ie some reverse camo to make your place look less attractive.

Also, things like "Caltrops". VERY inexpensive, quickly deployed, you dont want to step on them, or drive over them, and you could make your own, or a version of them, in a pinch, with what most of us have in our garages, or could access easily, and cheaply.

Some have pointed out using fire as a weapon. Certainly a mob could use fire against a location they wanted to breach, but depending on your setup, you too could use fire as a defense. Ie fire a concrete drive way to keep them out.

Got a chainsaw? Fell some trees across the road to your property.

By using some other options, which make your defensive position more secure anyway, we might well avoid the need for many situations where we would end up in shootouts with folks. Considering that Id rather not have me and my family shot at anyway, I like the idea of this.

Lets share. What ideas do you guys have?

VIP Member
    Some of the things employed by certain guys in black pajamas about 40 years ago were inexpensive and quite effective as we learned the hard way and are still viable and useful nowadays.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Some of the things employed by certain guys in black pajamas about 40 years ago were inexpensive and quite effective as we learned the hard way and are still viable and useful nowadays.
    Yeah. Im an old Army Brat. Father did two combat tours against those PJ wearing ...."chaps".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Trebuchet and a stockpile of plague infested, sun bloated cow carcases.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Well, Bullseye, I thought that went without saying.
    gatorbait51 and RoadRunner71 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

I can see it now!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Storm I new you had a dark side, but wow all this mid evil stuff. I LIKE IT....I live in the city so some of your ideas will not fly, but some will. I like the idea of soaking bar soap in gas and kinda a napalm like substance......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Dogs warn of intrusion and distract attackers, and if utilizing the PJ guys idea don't forget to give them the "sticky" end of the stick.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.

2 words : Anarchist Cookbook

Google it, you're welcome. Happy reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Storm I new you had a dark side, but wow all this mid evil stuff. I LIKE IT....I live in the city so some of your ideas will not fly, but some will. I like the idea of soaking bar soap in gas and kinda a napalm like substance......
    Yes, Harry. It sounds like you could not do things like utilize fish hooks and line for anything other than their intended purpose...lol. Seriously, one of my Majors was history, throw in a number of years visiting castles in Europe, and you start picking up a few tricks, lol. An Airborne father didnt hurt, either.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I plan to use incendiary pigs. But that's just me.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo304 View Post
    2 words : Anarchist Cookbook

Google it, you're welcome. Happy reading.
    Yep, Google it and instantly you are on hundreds of "watch lists". Better yet, buy it on Amazon. Better yet don't , they are watching that site too. Maybe, slip on some sunglasses and a clown nose and hit the local bookstore (and hope their camera is off at the checkout. Paranoid ? Not really, just realistic. Glad I already have my copy in the bunker.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

VIP Member
    That book i have seen at gun shows ^^^^
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Dawn plus gasoline. I won't give away the igniter in a public forum.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have a Chinese Straight Sword, Chinese Broadsword, some nice knifes, a few staffs and other martial weapons and I know how to use them. I also have a a few bows, as backup.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links