Interviewed In A Supermarket Parking Lot

This is a discussion on Interviewed In A Supermarket Parking Lot within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I put this out there as a real-life scenario. A couple days ago, I was running some errands in town, and picked up a few ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Interviewed In A Supermarket Parking Lot

VIP Member

I put this out there as a real-life scenario.

A couple days ago, I was running some errands in town, and picked up a few items at the local supermarket. It is on the more prosperous side of town. I drive a full-sized pick-up truck which takes up a parking-space-and-a-half, so I always park well away from other cars. This also allows me to avoid having to worry about cars parked on either side of me. I deliberately take up two spaces so I can pull straight forward when I leave. No one gets to block me in with just one vehicle, either.

A friend of mine is an employee in this particular store. He was on his way out the door for lunch when I walked in, so we just exchanged waves and went on about our business.

I left the store carrying two gallon jugs of water and a sack containing a few items. Since I had so few items, I carried them in my hands instead of using a cart all the way to my vehicle as I usually do. This is a mistake I will not again repeat. I hit the unlock button as I approached the car, set the water down at the vehicle, opened the driver's door, and placed the items on the front seat. As I did so, I heard a horn honk, and looked over to see my buddy sitting two rows over, eating his lunch in his car, waving at me. At the same time, I saw movement out of what was my 6:00 when I was reaching into my truck. I closed the door, bought my hands up to the surrender, and stepped quickly to my right as I turned to face my rear. A man was coming toward me and had closed to within five feet or so by the time I was facing him. He stopped, hands in pockets, and said "Excuse me, sir, but I need seventy five cents." I kept moving toward the front of my truck, and replied, "I'm sorry, but I can't help you, and really need for you to step back away from me."

At this point, he became livid, and dumped a whole yeah-I'm-bad sack full of profanities my way. As he did so, he was also beating a hasty retreat away from me. He continued selling wolf tickets as he ducked from my view between parked cars and vanished. I walked over to my friend's car as he was doing so. I offered up no verbal replies, assuming it all to be a part of his act.

My friend was very surprised by the event he had watched unfold, and told me he had watched the guy follow me at a distance across the entire parking lot. He thought the guy knew me, and was merely trying to catch up to me to greet me. It was windy enough that he couldn't hear anything the guy was saying.

I did not follow him because he had until that time committed no felony in my presence, and because I did not want to escalate an already unpleasant encounter. I'm sure he vanished to some compatriot's vehicle across the parking lot. I did not notify the police of the encounter for the same reason. The man had committed no crime, so I had nothing other than suspicious to report.

I took him to be a drug addict, not a homeless person, by virtue of appearance, location, and demeanor. There are no residential areas within walking distance, and it is on the edge of town. I'm sure he had a car somewhere in the lot. When he became irate, his accent went straight from polite white Marionite to Appalachian/gangstah fear-biter.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    WOW, interesting & thanks for sharing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Brought up my hands to the surrender"?
    gatorbait51 and OldVet like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Roughly chest level with palms facing outward. It is a very inoffensive and non-threatening posture, but allows for some very unpleasant things to happen to an aggressor who closes in.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Also known as "the fence"

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2013/...l#.Umv3Z2S9Kc0
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Mike is excatly right about putting your hands up.
    Looks harmless
    It's not

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Ask yourself - what kind of aggressive panhandler approaches grown men in a parking lot in broad daylight, knowing (perhaps) the 'target' had a friend eating lunch near by?

To me this -exactly- the type of predatory person that should get a call in to authorities. You might be OK, but he's not going to stop doing this.

Glad you weren't harmed. Think of the next person who is accosted - they might not be so lucky and the cops have nothing to go on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Ask yourself - what kind of aggressive panhandler approaches grown men in a parking lot in broad daylight, knowing (perhaps) the 'target' had a friend eating lunch near by?

To me this -exactly- the type of predatory person that should get a call in to authorities. You might be OK, but he's not going to stop doing this.

Glad you weren't harmed. Think of the next person who is accosted - they might not be so lucky and the cops have nothing to go on.
    I'm pretty sure he didn't see my friend across the way until he honked the horn. Like I said, no crime was committed and I had nothing beyond a very general description to give them if I did call. No car description, no license number, just a narrow-butted white boy who uses bad language when he retreats across the parking lot. I have one felony report on file with the local constabulary already this year, and have no desire to have them get used to my name appearing on suspicious person reports. We saw how that played for George Z. People get accosted every day, as I just found out. Frivolous reports to an already-understaffed sheriff''s department will do nothing to alleviate that reality.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Plus 1 for learning a lesson on always getting a cart. (The only time I won't have a cart is when I can keep my strong arm free.)
    I'll give you -1 for not noticing the guy was following you. It happens. But, I hope you also learned this lesson as well.

I do have a hard time believing you need two spots. As someone who drives a BIG pickup and has owned BIG (3/4 & 1 ton crewcab) pickups most of my adult life, I have never needed more than one space. I always back into a space or pull through. The only time I require more than one space is when I pulling a trailer. (That's the only time I park "out" away from everyone else.)

Parking out in the remote spots of a parking lot may have some advantages in certain instances. But, it also gives any potential BGs a better chance to commit their crime & get away; because --- you are forced more into the open & away from the safety of the building while you are going to & from your vehicle.

-
    gatorbait51 and Ranger_68 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Plus 1 for learning a lesson on always getting a cart. (The only time I won't have a cart is when I can keep my strong arm free.)
    I'll give you -1 for not noticing the guy was following you. It happens. But, I hope you also learned this lesson as well.

I do have a hard time believing you need two spots. As someone who drives a BIG pickup and has owned BIG (3/4 & 1 ton crewcab) pickups most of my adult life, I have never needed more than one space. I always back into a space or pull through. The only time I require more than one space is when I pulling a trailer. (That's the only time I park "out" away from everyone else.)

Parking out in the remote spots of a parking lot may have some advantages in certain instances. But, it also gives any potential BGs a better chance to commit their crime & get away; because--- you are forced more into the open & away from the safety of the building.
    -
    He was a good five seconds behind me, so I won't feel to bad about not noticing him sooner. My Silverado with trailer hitch extends well beyond the dimensions of a typically-lined parking place. I park many spaces away from other vehicles to the rear of parking lots, so it inconveniences one except me, who has to walk a bit further to get to the store.
    William T. Sherman

Another example of how quickly things can turn, when someone closes with intent to do whatever. His lightning change of demeanor shows he thinks citizens beneath him, those who dare imagine they don't need to be supplying him with his livelihood/scam. Dangerous sort, if ever he gets it in his mind to act out his anger beyond words.

Anytime ... anywhere.

Watch your "six."

Don't have both hands loaded, attention wandering.

Keep the head on a mild swivel, noting who's within dozens of yards and who bears monitoring.

Be prepared for someone to blow sideways, if thwarted in a way they don't expect or imagine they "deserve."

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I had a very similar experience before I started carry. I was pumping gas, not paying attention, and before I knew it a guy was within five feet of me asking for a ride. I refused, and he became irate. Fortunately he walked away. To my admittedly untrained eye, he appeared to be a transient with a substance abuse problem.

Since then I started carrying, found this site and learned much. Thereafter I managed to successfully avoid a similar situation at another gas station. (Side note: It appears gas stations and parking lots attract predators).

I've also learned you can never be "on" 24/7, and predators are very skilled at finding you when you are "off" for that one moment. How you recover when you find yourself behind the 8-ball is critical.

Thanks for sharing - it's shopping carts to the car for me now.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I had a very similar experience before I started carry. I was pumping gas, not paying attention, and before I knew it a guy was within five feet of me asking for a ride. I refused, and he became irate. Fortunately he walked away. To my admittedly untrained eye, he appeared to be a transient with a substance abuse problem.

Since then I started carrying, found this site and learned much. Thereafter I managed to successfully avoid a similar situation at another gas station. (Side note: It appears gas stations and parking lots attract predators).

I've also learned you can never be "on" 24/7, and predators are very skilled at finding you when you are "off" for that one moment. How you recover when you find yourself behind the 8-ball is critical.

Thanks for sharing - it's shopping carts to the car for me now.
    Every bit of training I have received has been based on the assumption I will always start somewhere behind the 8-ball. It has certainly played itself out that way both times I have been recently accosted.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Also known as "the fence"
    Defensive but not a "surrender". I didn't know what it was called but use it when required.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Defensive but not a "surrender". I didn't know what it was called but use it when required.
    I have also heard it referred to as the chest ready, palms out position. I suppose the reason it is referred to as the surrender position is that it resembles someone in the act of putting their hands up, except that the hands stop when they get somewhere around pectoral level. I try not to get too jammed up on nomenclature.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links