BWI Airport (Baltimore, MD) while travling with handgun

This is a discussion on BWI Airport (Baltimore, MD) while travling with handgun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We're looking at booking a flight to Florida for early next year. I should have my FL CCW by then, and plan to carry in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf

Thread: BWI Airport (Baltimore, MD) while travling with handgun

We're looking at booking a flight to Florida for early next year. I should have my FL CCW by then, and plan to carry in FL. I know FOPA would cover me in transit, as I'm legal in Mass and FL.

If we fly Southwest which usually has the best deals from Boston, we'd likely connect at BWI. I know to avoid ALL airports in NY/NJ, but didn't see much on BWI. If we connect without any delays or cancellations, I'm not worried, as I said I'd be covered by FOPA. What I'm wondering about is IF we were stuck in Baltimore (i.e., snowstorm, etc) and I had to claim my bag with handgun in Maryland, would I have any issues when I declare it for travel out of BWI? I know I cannot carry a loaded handgun in MD, but is possession okay? I checked out the MSP website, and it wasn't clear to me.

Thanks in advance!

Mods: If this is in the wrong section, please move...thanks!
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Distinguished Member
    I can only say be very concerned about Maryland. Strict laws. Hopefully you can gain some facts.
    brocktice likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Umm, unless you're completely leaving the airport to rent a car and go, you won't be claiming any chekced baggage. I got stuck in O'Hare once a while back overnight, and had to sleep outside the airport in a pass-through area on a supplied cot. (That's the best the airport woould do.) All cars were rented and sold out. I never saw my bags. Once the firearm is checked into the system with the departure airport, you won't see it again until you reach final destination, or opt out of the whole flying deal all together.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

As GlassWolf said, you'll be checking your bags so you won't have access to your luggage in Maryland. Go here:

Special Luggage | Southwest Airlines

and click on "Guns and Ammunition":

Guns and Ammunition

Guns
    Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.

Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.

Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:

A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.

A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.

The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.

Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.

Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.

Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

Ammunition
    Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted.

Print out this information when you go to the airport.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

If there was a flight cancellation, and no space on later flights, it is possible we would claim our luggage. If we didn't need/want to claim it, I would be fine.

It's the needing to claim my bag scenario I'm concerned about. I don't take the gun laws in anti states lightly, so want to be sure I'm covered IF we connect in MD. That said, I might be able to swing the same low fares thru ATL on AirTran. I know Georgia is far better than MD on all levels for travel with a handgun.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    If there was a flight cancellation, and no space on later flights, it is possible we would claim our luggage. If we didn't need/want to claim it, I would be fine.

It's the needing to claim my bag scenario I'm concerned about. I don't take the gun laws in anti states lightly, so want to be sure I'm covered IF we connect in MD. That said, I might be able to swing the same low fares thru ATL on AirTran. I know Georgia is far better than MD on all levels for travel with a handgun.
    My limited understanding here is that you MUST NOT take possession of the luggage in any way whatsoever.

If the airline tosses it onto the carousel and wants you to retrieve it, don't touch it. Get airline personnel/ security to take it to a secure area. Once you have picked it up from the carousel you are in possession-- and possibly in trouble.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

just put it in a separate locking case and pay the $25 fee to check the extra bag. seems pretty simple to me

I wouldn't go to an airport since 0bummers Patriot Act II.
    But, if I had to, I certainly would NEVER voluntarily go to an Anti-Constitutional State like MD, NY, NJ, CA, or several others.

If those Commies want to see me, they'll have to come to my ground.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Sponsored Links